What's new

EGR cleaning

Alans27

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord 2.0 se
Right then, next job on the list for my accord is to clean that EGR plate thing. I can't think of the right word but you all know what I mean lol.
Anyway I tried to do this a few weeks ago but got a bit uneasy when it came to lifting off that injector rail. For one, the wiring loom going above was very tight to the injector rail and I'm not sure how I'm going to get the injector rail off with that in the way. But you can't disconnect that wiring loom anywhere so I guess I'll just have to find a way.
Secondly and more of a problem was the injector rail itself seemed to be very tight and my worry is i'll break an injector out of the injector rail rather than having it come out of the engine.

So, does anyone have any advice on how I can get that injector rail out? Should I warm the engine up first perhaps? Or maybe I need to prize on the injectors with long nose pliers or something?

Thanks.

Actually no need to reply to this now because I've managed to do it! Pain in the backside of a job because the wiring loom does not move out the way much at all. I had to lift the injector rail up but couldn't move it aside completely. Still I managed to get the EGR inlet out from underneath thankfully.
Well how filthy was that!!!! I've got black sludge on my driveway now from where I've sprayed it with carb cleaner and scraped it with a screw driver before spraying it again and brushing it with an old toothbrush. Then I got a screw driver and cleaned out the holes on top of the inlet manifold before using a Hoover on the holes to attempt to get the loose bits out.
I don't fancy doing that too often, my knees don't like it lol!

I even managed to put it back together correctly and not set the car on fire when I started it back up :)

Did you change the o-rings on the injectors? Also did you get fuel spray when you took the injectiors out?

In short mate no and no. I didn't change any o rings and it's not leaked since I put it back. There was no fuel spray either. The injector rail came out nicely with the injectors all attached so no leaks at all.
I didn't even have to get the fire brigade involved lol.

lol, its not necessary to change o rings, but advisable, i plan on doing this sometime in the future but in two minds to whether to change o rings, they cost £4 each!

Did make any difference after cleaning?

exec said:
lol, its not necessary to change o rings, but advisable, i plan on doing this sometime in the future but in two minds to whether to change o rings, they cost £4 each!

Did make any difference after cleaning?
When I done mine it made it run very smooth. Worth doing.

Yeah defo worth doing even if it is a bit fiddly, it was for me anyway because I didn't take the fuel out rail out completely. Just pulled it out the head and then moved it left and right to get access to the bolts on the EGR plate.

Tell you what though, the worst thing for me was my bloody knees afterwards! I could hardly walk lol. Must be getting old...

I did mine and, ultimately, it's made a big difference. Mine was suffering from a distinct hesitation when trying to pull away - at a roundabout for instance. NOT fun when you pull out into traffic and feel the revs die on you... I was convinced, reading the forums, this would sort it. Strangely, it didn't seem to make much of a difference initially. But after a while (couldnt put my finger on how long - maybe a couple of weeks) the problem (virtually) disappeared. It's still there a teeny bit, especially when earning up, and I wonder how I can improve things further. Valve clearances have never been done and the lambda sender's getting old - I wonder if sorting these would finally sort it....

Does cleaning the EGR plate etc affect the idle running of the engine? I've noticed a few times that mine comes close to stalling (and did once) whilst sitting at idle when warm with the aircon on.

ChrisC78 said:
Does cleaning the EGR plate etc affect the idle running of the engine? I've noticed a few times that mine comes close to stalling (and did once) whilst sitting at idle when warm with the aircon on.
I had the same symptoms. Tge egr plate clean helped a lot, but I also changed the distributor cap and rotor arm along with new ignition leads and spark plugs. This collectively stopped the hesitation and rough idle etc.

Shortly after doing mine, I stalled a couple of times. After a while, the car seemed to adjust to the new setup and idle returned to normal. Just keep on driving, see how it goes...

^ That would be because the ECu relearns the amount of gas, air etc circulating and makes adjustments,