What's new

EGR PROBLEMS AND POSSIBLE FIXES

CJM

Dr. Diesel
Reaction score
Car
56 Accord Ex i-CTDI
It is apparent that many are having problems, possibly with their EGR.

Personally I get the occasional stutter when cold and up to now have been quite lucky!!

I have had a quick look on the web, to find out about EGR etc and came across this site

Autoinc EGR Systems

Whilst reading it, it mentioned that many EGR systems have a solenoid which has a vacuum filter .

i put my reg No. into Lingshonda part no. 8

and noticed that there is indeed a filter for the solenoid, priced around £28.
Please note the diagram is for the Facelift, for pre-facelifts go to home and then honda car parts, then enter your reg.

Many people have cleaned their EGR but have they replace this filter, could it be that the filter needs replacing, after all we know how fussy the Accord is about filters.

It would be interesting to know whether anyone has replaced this filter, or a dealer has suggested it

That's very interesting Carl... good find!

CJ - you aware of this filter and is it a servicable item?

Very interesting. Might see about one of them, is it definitely for the EGR valve? Its a bit difficult to tell on that diagram. Wonder how much it would be from HH and if its worth a try. Great spot Carl

Could this possibly explain why changing egr valves, cleaning etc never fixes them. It could be this filter or the valve itself? I've noticed on lings that the preface lift doesn't appear to have the filter? So is anyone with a pre-facelift having egr issues?

Cant see filter on pre-facelift, different egr design. Still, it is a very valuable find, nice one:)

Another site that gives some advice on how to test the operation of the EGR system, including the EVR (EGR Vacuum Regulator)

To be honest however I think this one is for the tooled up mechanic, but perhaps it may help on questioning i.e have you checked this and have you checked that.

In the article the guy says that the EGR valves very rarely go bad but they have seen many cars come in with EGR faults and new valves fitted.

EGR Valve Problems a Complete Guide

Very interesting. Might see about one of them, is it definitely for the EGR valve? Its a bit difficult to tell on that diagram. Wonder how much it would be from HH and if its worth a try. Great spot Carl

Nick

It is part of the Vacuum circuit, that controls the EGR it does not go in/on the actual EGR Valve if that is what you mean

Could this possibly explain why changing egr valves, cleaning etc never fixes them. It could be this filter or the valve itself? I've noticed on lings that the preface lift doesn't appear to have the filter? So is anyone with a pre-facelift having egr issues?

Stephen I've just had a look at the pre-facelift and it doesn't look like there is a filter as such unless it is contained within the solenoid. Now interestingly enough if anyone answers your question in respect of anyone having EGR problems with the pre-facelift, that have done all the cleaning etc. This may and this is only a speculative suggestion that it is a shared part on both models maybe the EVR which is the same part on both pre and post facelift.

When comparing pre to post facelift on lings there are a couple of shared parts, I think to get to the bottom of this issue of jerking etc we need to know whether it is across the whole range or just facelift, however I suspect that it is mainly a facelift issue.

That filter housing is sealed TBH .
Yeah, I noticed that so not really able to do alot but replace it and see what happens. Post the HH meeting if we cant sort mine out, for just over £20 it maybe worth a shot!

But I am sure we will be able to sort mine at the meet :lol:

Just a quick link for anyone suspecting the EGR in respect of Jerking

Waj1974 has possibly come across a possible suspect for the fault and has started a separate thread relating to the engine light that came on.

It seems easy to check and worth ruling out etc

p2004-dtc-engne=light-on By Waj1974

Re my other thread noticed this one too. Mine is the pre facelift and the EVR does have a seperate little cylindrical filter. Ive tried cleaning mine with WD40, which did make a difference but the problems isnt sorted. Ive still got poor low down power as the valve isnt spooling the turbo at low revs. Honda say you have to buy the whole EVR ***embly and not just the 10 pence removeable filter - arrrgghhhhh

Guys - Ive decided im gonna take some drastic action. Seems this little nipper of a filter is the source of a lot of problems. Should be serviceable but Honda have decided in their capitalist wisdom to make it not so. I will dismantle mine (as it appears to make no difference whether it is on or off/ blocked or working) and check inside to see if it can be "manually" serviced.

Will report back.....