What's new

EGR Valve maybe?

waj1974

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord i-ctdi
Hi guys,

A mate of mine has also got an accord 2.2 ctdi and a while back he was quite frustrated at the same problem that some of us guys were experiencing, including myself.

Basically slight hesitation at low speed. So i advised him to get a can of BG244 which he did, but after using it the problem still persists. Now i drove the car and realised the hesitation was occuring at 2000 to 2500 rpm and not any other rpm, also when the car was at operating temp.

Am i right in thinking at that rpm thats the egr valve opening/closing and maybe its stuck or clogged hence the hesitation????

If he's done the fuel filter..

then next guess would be MAFS and EGR valve.

Can he borrow your MAFS to isolate the problem?

Is it a face-lift and does he have it serviced at a Honda Dealer?

Then as Fahad advises, fuel filter

Some of the guys have changed the EGR or cleaned it and not had that much difference.

I

Full service inc fuel filter and I swapped his maf today but still the same I don't know if cleaning his egr would work what you think guys but I know for a fact he don't wanna spend 600+ quid for a new one cjm his car is a pre face lift but everything points to the egr

Waj, try swapping your EGR with his. Removing it seems quite straightforward to be honest..

Sorry for the double post fahad I don't really wanna mess with the car especially after all the hassle I had before lol il ask him to clean the egr

Full service inc fuel filter and I swapped his maf today but still the same I don't know if cleaning his egr would work what you think guys but I know for a fact he don't wanna spend 600+ quid for a new one cjm his car is a pre face lift but everything points to the egr

If it is pre-facelift the EGR is different and electronically controlled ( I am led to believe from previous posts) on the face-lift it is vacuum controlled but there was apparently a software update which according to a guy on honestjohns solved the hesitation problem.

Interesting that they chose to change the EGR on the facelift though, maybe indicative of an issue. One other thought here, if it is electronically controlled is it worth checking the connections and tracing back to see if it connects to a sensor (I've a face-lift so cannot look)

Reading the DIY's on cleaning them it doesn't seem too difficult a job, so worth giving a go better than spending £600 and finding it is something different, also you maybe able to see the problem when you have a look at it.

thanx for your advice cjm, i saw this on ebay what you guys think????

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/honda-EGR-valve-refurbished-/120620827323?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c158fc2bb#ht_500wt_947

i thought the egr valves were sealed units so exactly how did he refurb this? do you think he just cleaned it out with brake cleaner and marked it as refurbed???

thanx for your advice cjm, i saw this on ebay what you guys think????

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/honda-EGR-valve-refurbished-/120620827323?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c158fc2bb#ht_500wt_947

i thought the egr valves were sealed units so exactly how did he refurb this? do you think he just cleaned it out with brake cleaner and marked it as refurbed???

Not sure how it has been re-furbed, I suspect it has come out of a parts bin somewhere, or was on another car where the EGR was replaced but it wasn't the problem.

Not too sure how many people will be searching ebay and therefore you should be able to pick it up for a good price, in some ways it maybe worth getting and trying and then at least there is a spare to play around with.

Hi i'm having the same hesitation problem with my ctdi sport facelift. Gonna ask bout software update for egr valve?? I had stage 1 remap couple of weeks ago would that of effected software relating to egr valve??

No mate the remap would not have caused the hesitation maybe it was an under lying problem and the remap has actually highlighted it

If it is a facelift that valve wont fit. that is for a pre facelift. I bought a new valve for mine which has exactly the same issues and it made absolutely no difference. I am attending the HH meet at the end of Oct and having it looked at to see if it shows any faults.

Fingers crossed!

Does his smoke alot?

So far on mine I have changed, Fuel filter, Full service with genuine parts, new EGR valve and MAF (although MAF was second hand).

If we find my fault I will be sure to let you know, as it sounds very similar to my issues.

no smoking nick but ive read about egr faults and sticking egrs and it does seem like its the egr valve sticking, and let me know how you get on at HH with the diagnostics

hi guys just an update to this thread, we took off the egr valve and it was covered in carbon and soot so we soaked the bottom cast iron part in brake cleaner for about 3 hours and then cleaned it with a small toothbrush. After we finished it looked a lot better and refitted it but even then it still hesitates, so i have told him its either Honda for a check up or a new egr valve.

hi guys just an update to this thread, we took off the egr valve and it was covered in carbon and soot so we soaked the bottom cast iron part in brake cleaner for about 3 hours and then cleaned it with a small toothbrush. After we finished it looked a lot better and refitted it but even then it still hesitates, so i have told him its either Honda for a check up or a new egr valve.

Waj, did you check if it seals when closed.

I WOULDNT replace it. I wasted money on a brand new one for mine and it made NO difference. Personally I think or should I say hope it is either a software issue with the ECU......or another fault elsewhere. :rolleyes:

You cant really clean the egr valve itself as its a sealed unit, you can of course clean the egr body but that rarely seems to work. Sadly this is the same for your friend, Im hesitant to say get a new egr as we have had a few peeps on here do this and still have issues :rolleyes:

The thing is, the few people experiencing these problems.. to my knowledge, none of them have actually been into Honda yet for a proper diagnostics. The problem is only a mystery because we're trying to diagnose it without letting the experts take a look first.

My advice would be to not waste money on unnecessary parts, and take it to a trusted dealer like Holdcroft...

Fahad, andy, thanks for your great input. He's booked it with honda for a check so we will go from there and yes sealed and tight when the egr was fitted if it is the egr I would personally get a second hand one as a new one is overkill price

if its a facelift model I would prob be prepared to sell my one i took off as I dont think there was anything wrong with it seeing as a new one made no difference. but wait for the diagnosis first.

Hopefully at the HH meet in oct I will be able to shed some more light

Waj,

Just like the guys have already said, replacing the EGR has up to now not solved the issue, it's an expensive part. It's definately a good idea to get it booked in with Honda, as the dealer is unknown if they suggest that it is just the EGR and want to replace the part, mention that you know a few people who have replaced the EGR and had no success, so do they guarantee that they will take the part back and not charge for it, should it not work.

I have found a couple of sites and started a separate thread on EGR problems, the sites are worth a read, more so you have more of an idea so you can maybe question the dealer i.e again not get fobbed off.

EGR Problems and Possible Fixes

How many miles has the car done and does it do this in every gear and under light and hard acceleration? Could be a few other things to look at, throttle position sensor if high milage or a blocked cat?

stephen, the car has nearly 130k miles, but when the car engine is cold it runs fine, no hesitation, no issues whatsoever, but as soon as it warms up it starts to hesitate only under light acceleration, weve got an obd 2 scanner but it shows no codes etc wouldnt the scanner show up a tps fault if it was faulty though im thinking its a sensor issue but the MAF has been replaced on it already maybe map or other sensor related to car engine temp but its booked with Honda this week so we shall see

My thinking was if the car was high milage on the motorway then the throttle sensor might be "worn" around that throttle setting. Most sensors don't show up on OBD scans unless they are properly faulty, not working at all or disconnected. If this is happening when the car warms up then it is possibly pointing towards the egr side of things, esp if you've ruled out faulty maf. Honda diagnostics should be able to give you real time feedback as to whats going on hopefully.

Am I correct in saying the accord had an issue with the glow plug relay staying on?

i asked him about the glow plug relay and he says no issues with that, as far as egr is concerned we will have to wait and see and i hope honda can diagnose the correct problem as he doesnt want to be paying money for nothing... do you know how much honda charge for a diagnostic checkup by any chance?

Just throwing this out there, I had 2 engine check light codes come up, one was o2 sensor and the other egr, I had same slight bogging and cutting between 2200-2900 (tho in a petrol) I replaced the o2 sensor and both codes and the hesitation all disspeared. Some diesels dont have o2 sensors not sure if accords are like that?

Im quite sure the accord doesnt have o2 sensors because of all the soot from the exhaust etc on a petrol its understandable but diesel very unlikely correct me if im wrong, anyway update on this thread.

Took the car to honda today, the mechanic drove it and at first he couldnt find the hesitation but after a while he felt it and said it was definitely there. Now he thinks its like a miss when a petrol car misses because of faulty spark plugs etc so he said not 100% sure but thinks it could be a clogged injector.

He also hooked up the Honda Diagnostic Sytstem but said no fault codes, so he said he was going to contact Honda Technical, tell them the problem and they will then go from there. He also said that Honda Technical may know of a problem like this with the high mileage of the car but if not then they will have to take it for a road test with live data and see if they can fix it from the live data reading.

Could be an injector. Is the car still under warranty for the timing chain? Could get 4 free injectors!

Mine has a very similar fault and at less than 60,000 miles when I bought it with FHSH I would find it pretty dissapointing if an injector was failing at this low mileage.

Waj I know what the guy means though cause on my car, both my dad and I who have stripped down many a petrol car an motorbike said it was like a miss fire. Its very strange, I am ***uming that they plugged it in and uploaded all of the latest software onto the ECU as I have heard of this solving a similar issue according to a post on honest John.

I am taking mine to the HH meet for some diagnostics, so I will see what shows (if anything) on mine. If we cant find anything then I might have the standard latest Honda map put on, which should include all the latest updates and see if it solves the issue.

Has yours been remapped or is it standard?

its not my car nick its my friends he had the timing chain replaced already from the dealer do you think they replaced the injectors cuz I asked the mechanic and he said they don't have to replace the injectors as of the costs and if it is the injector clogged how come its ok when the car is cold and blocked when its hot i for one cannot seem to work out this problem