What's new

Electrical gremlins - turn indicators and tailgate

GDL

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer iCDTI
Hi all,

having resolved the pressure relief valve issue on my 06 diesel tourer, I started having issues with the alarm going off at random.
Then I noticed that the tailgate open warning came on while driving (in the rain, but that's not unusual recently).

Researched the threads here on tailgate issues, tried the battery disconnect reset, no joy, so decided that the microswitches probably needed adjustment and that I would do it on Saturday.
So, all of last week I was parking with the bonnet released so as not to set the alarm.

On Friday evening I noticed that the left hand indicators were on constant after I parked up and locked the car. Just on constant and all 3.
Opened the car, wiggled the stalk, no change. Started the engine, indicated left and right and all was ok.
Locked the car leaving bonnet unlatched.

On Saturday I dismantled the tailgate lock - easier than I feared.
Unscrewed the microswitches, separated them and increased the tension on the contacts.
Trigger the lock and the tailgate light goes out - RESULT!
Reassembled everything, set the alarm and all was ok.

Went out last night and parked up, left indicator stuck on - all 3 lights, front, mirror and rear. Nothing I could do would turn it off. Came out of the resaurant 2 hours later and they're still on.
I got home and worked my way through the fuse box until I found one that turned them off - fuse 15 in the main fuse box. Shame it turns almost everything else off as well.

Today I replaced the fuse - indicator stayed off. Unlocked the car, indicator flashed and left stayed on for a second longer than the right.

Opened the tailgate - they all flash and left stays on for perhaps 10 seconds.
Try various combinations of indicator, hazards and operating the tailgate.
Left indicator stays on, sometimes for a few seconds, sometimes until I pull fuse 15. I have to leave the fuze out for a bit.
Anything that triggers the left indicator causes the problem.

When indicating left the relay sounds different - a bit like it does when you have a blown bulb. Though they stay on constantly the light varies in time with the relay clicks.

Then to top it all the tailgate light says its open - when its obviously not.

Could the tailgate and indicator faults be related?
Could the indicator relay be at fault?
If so, where is it and how do I change it?

Having had the car from new and had no problems until the VSA pump last year I thought I had a winner.
Since mid December, with the injector rail and now these electrical issues it seems to be a never ending catalogue of woe :( :( :(

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers

Sorry to hear this Gordon but it might be time to get an Auto Electrican in to have a look.
I'm not sure if the tourer is the same as the Saloon but I had a problem with my 7th gen.
There was a connector of around 20 pins located in the boot at the right hand side rear.
If you unclip thre fitted carpet if the same you will see it.
This controlled most things on the rear of the car and the problem I had was the tail lights kept going out.
This I found was a loose connection in the plug itself.So I discarded the plug and through crimped all the connections and this sorted the problem.
If yours is the same you will need a muti meter to test all the connections.Also a tip some connections are linked in the plug with other circuits so this is where you need a meter.

Thanks Brett,

I have a meter and happy to try.
I'll start at the back and see what I can find.

Can anyone recommend a good auto electrician around the Basingstoke / Reading area?

Cheers

It does sound like a bad connection or moisture getting in somewhere

I am also suffering tailgate issues that might be related to those microswitches you mentioned. I have taken the tailgate apart but dont really know what I am looking for would you mind explaining where exactly they are and what they look like?
Thanks,
Simon

Sorry Simon - missed your post.
I'll try and take some pictures this weekend as I need to have it out again as what I've done hasn't fixed it.
The tailgate open light and warning have been regularly on and off.

Interestingly, my indicator problem has gone away - spent £47 on a new flasher relay and the threat of fitting it seems to have frightened the old one into behaving :)
I'll change it this weekend and have another go at the tailgate.

Just to add to the woes, driving back today and the car goes into limp mode as I was accelerating away from a roundabout and the glow plug light started flashing.
Limited to 2000 rpm and gutless.

From another thread this appears to be the fuel filter.

plus a faint aroma of exhaust fumes in the cabin..........

Honda has become a swear word in our house............