What's new

Engine Dead? Scrap or fix?

spufmonkey

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2 CTDI Accord
Just had the news from my mechanic the the reason my accord sounds like a tractor is that the piston sounds like its hitting the valve!!
He thinks its a new engine job! he thinks the timing chain has slipped and caused the damage!

i did see there was a repair regarding the timing chain that HUK were doing free of charge.. whats the chances of mine being honoured not the damage is done?

im gonna have to sell as is or break for parts i reckon??

What condition is the rest of the car in?

Scrap it, no

Fix it yes, wack a new (used, new to the car) engine in, then you can still use it, and then also sell it at the normal price.

Break it, you can but you wont get the cars worth, you might get 60% back.

Rest of the car is ok, no other issues that i know of.. a replacement engine is gonna cost me a shed load and the car is prob only worth £3000 ish..

Does your car fall in the time frame and qualify for the extended warranty for the timing chain.

If not, you will be looking at 1k for an engine fitted. What is more financially viable. Lose the 3k or fix it.

Ignore ebay for engines as it is a ripoff and phone around breakers yards. Shop around enough and you will get a good engine delivered for between 6 and 800, factor in 2 to 250 to get it fitted and you are good to go.
If you are lucky you may even pick one up cheaper. Try private breakers as well. That's where the bargains are.

If you can sorce a good second had engine for around 1k its worth it IMO
Where would you buy a car like yours for a grand

Phone this guy because I went there once to get some spare light clusters and panels, and he said in passsing that they had come from a diesel that he bought at auction. He bought it because one chap asked him for a diesel engine, they agreed a price and he went to an auction, shipped him the engine, and took the rest apart. I think that he said he got the car at auction for the price he got for the engine.

Thanks for all the replies, im still unsure on what to do... whats the criteria for the honda fix? my car is on 85000 miles and is a 2005 model.
im going to try and get a video up and see what people think the issue is?

I think its a case of a 2nd hand engine sorry to say :(

Give this lot a call and enquire about an engine for your car.

http://www.silverlake.co.uk/breakers/

well that's my fears confirmed then... lol, i will check em out crespo.
is it worth calling Honda regarding the repair under the TSB?

well that's my fears confirmed then... lol, i will check em out crespo.
is it worth calling Honda regarding the repair under the TSB?
Damo have you got a full Honda service history if not i doubt its worth calling them.

You don't really need a full service per se but the time scale has now expired for your car so you will not be eligible.

Sounds like it'll need stripping, you can take the valve cover off and see if it hit the valves the shims/buckets will be indented. The clearance is minimal on diesel's so a skipped tooth on the chain can cause the piston crown to hit the valves but I would imagine a code to be thrown showing the crank/cam sensor out of sync. I would get a diagnostic done on a HDS to confirm.

As others have said a used engine is most likely the best option here but not before you diagnose the problem 100%.

Oh mate, that's a real bugger.

I would say if you don't have friends in the trade and can't source cheap parts/labour then you might be better cutting your losses.

The ICTDI is notoriously expensive for replacement engines I'm afraid.

You don't really need a full service per se but the time scale has now expired for your car so you will not be eligible.

Sounds like it'll need stripping, you can take the valve cover off and see if it hit the valves the shims/buckets will be indented. The clearance is minimal on diesel's so a skipped tooth on the chain can cause the piston crown to hit the valves but I would imagine a code to be thrown showing the crank/cam sensor out of sync. I would get a diagnostic done on a HDS to confirm.

As others have said a used engine is most likely the best option here but not before you diagnose the problem 100%.

Is it easy enough to take the valve cover off and have a look myself? i dont have any lights on the dash so dont think there are any codes? im sure my mechanic would have plugged in diagnostics but i will ask..

Oh mate, that's a real ******.

I would say if you don't have friends in the trade and can't source cheap parts/labour then you might be better cutting your losses.

The ICTDI is notoriously expensive for replacement engines I'm afraid.

Tell me about it bud! its not even had much use since u re-mapped it due to me getting a new job with a work van! i had a quick butchers on ebay and they seem to go for about £1500 as it is or i can get a engine fitted for £1500... gutted to say the least!

Removal of injectors and insertion of an endoscope to look for signs of impact damage could be an option (***uming that the injectors come out OK)?

I suggested a big end failure in my previous post as I recently read a very similar-sounding problem where this was the cause... the piston was being 'thrown' too high due to the bearing failure, causing it to come into contact with the valves. Not sure if it was a TA thread, but definitely an i-CTDi.

I'd be surprised if the timing chain had jumped a tooth, unless it was terribly worn and/or the tensioner had failed. Either way, I would have thought that the chain noise would have been very noticeable before the eventual jump?

^ got to say it does sound big-end-ish to me too, though I've only ever heard big-end fails on two Petrols, but they did sound just like thie video

you might want to read this recent thread

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/13044-big-end-failure/

If it is big end bearing that's failed then In some respects, depending on how badly damaged it is, big end repair may not be as bad as bent valves, because the sump only needs removing (it's easy to remove a sump) i.e. in labour terms it would not cost too much

but if it's a very badly damaged big end bearing, then the engne would need to be removed and completely stripped down, so replacement engine would be cheaper

if it's bent valves, then only the head would need removing, but if you're paying someone else to do valves then it will cost more than a replacement engine

I actually didn't think the video sounded that terrible, as they're always sound a bit 'agricultural' with the cover removed and the bonnet up. As suggesed in the video comments, that could just be a cracked exhaust manifold?

Apart from the noise, how is it running? Did the problem suddenly come on? Did the oil pressure light come on while driving along? Had you been driving it for a long time with noisy timing chains?

Maybe worth taking the sump off and taking a look, hope journals are not scored.

Worth takinga look.

Question to everyone else, if the chain skipped a tooth/stretched badly enough to cause piston crown to hit valves would that not cause a a trouble code for crank/cam sensor out of range or something?

hmmmm.. im starting to hope and pray that it may be the exhaust manifold! but surely the mechanic would have spotted this? reason im hoping is the noise started quietly a few days before the situation i am in now... and im sure fahad said he could hear the sound of a cracked manifold when he mapped it! could it have just got worse?
the car drives fine (not that i dare drive it) and does not seem to missfire at all and i have no warning lights (and have had none)... would a cracked manifold sound that loud??

Maybe worth taking the sump off and taking a look, hope journals are not scored.

Worth takinga look.

Question to everyone else, if the chain skipped a tooth/stretched badly enough to cause piston crown to hit valves would that not cause a a trouble code for crank/cam sensor out of range or something?

i would have thought a sensor would pick this up also and cut the engine to stop damage??

^ you'd hope that if it has a crank sensor and a cam sensor then yes, but I wouldn't be so sure