What's new

engine hesitation while accelerating

n00r

Reaction score
Car
2004 Accord i-ctdi
Hi Everybody,

I've just joined the club.

How I stumbled upon this website is a month ago my car 54 i-ctdi went in for servicing & MOT at Listers Honda Coventry. I Thought it would be a normal service but alas they told me exhaust manifold is cracked. Got it replaced from them (approx £580 + £50 for coolant) as they said it would be MOT failure.

Then after 2 or 3 days I started noticing the car started to hesitate specially in 3 gear while accelerating. It was like I don't know how to explain but like you know when washing machine starts to dry clothes like oooooonnnnn....ooooonnnnnnn...ooooooonnnnnnn. I noticed it 4th gear but not very prominent. I called back honda Coventry and told them the problem started happening after they serviced and changed exhaust manifold. They agreed to diagnose the car for free but they couldn't find any fault with the engine. They did put it on diagnostics but no fault codes (what they say). they advised me to change fuel filter. I knew it could be fuel file because meanwhile I've been reading on your website how some people got their fixed by changing fuel filter.

So I booked in my car again to change fuel filter (£105). The hesitation is less but still there. Its like car is jerking while accelerating and I've noticed it happens after I've driven the car for about 15 20 miles sometimes the car just drives perfectly.

As you can see I've already spent about £700 on the car and I'm in no mood to spend anything major any more. Any sort of help would be greatly welcome.

Thanks

Quite possibly a sticking egr valve now. It only operates once the coolant reaches operating temperature @ 76 degrees. Hard to say for sure without diagnosing it but I see these all the time with this symptom.

Drop me a line for some pricing for egr off and diagnostics.

By the way you could have save more than half the cost on that work if you had used our manifold repair service. And that cost for a fuel filter change is extortionate.

Hi Fahad,

Thanks for getting back

do you think getting egr cleaned would help?

If yes can I get it done by any local garage considering you are quite far away from Rugby and I'm have no experience/tools what so ever in engine DIY :p

Drop me a line - I'm in Birmingham at the weekend.

cleaning doesn't work as its a sealed unit

With the EGR permanently off what about performance? fuel economy? emission? will it still pass MOT?.......just asking.

Coming weekend is busy but I'll try my best as I wan to get this sorted out. I'll give you a call if I'm able to make it.