What's new

Engine knocking when under load

HondaMan1978

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.0 vtec
Hey,

I'm new to all this forum stuff. But I'm here to seek guidance on this fault with my accord 2.0 vtec. When the engine is under load at the end of its rev it make a knocking noise but does not do it every time i have made a video and posted it to :

http://videobam.com/GDYft

Any help would be a massive help.

Its got oil in and has been well looked after.

Thanks in advance :)

Welcome.
Id try pulling each of the leads one by one and see if the knock goes away.
If it does go away your looking at rod bearings or gudgen pin.

How does the car drive?

Have you checked for any fault codes?

Hello Andrew
Welcome to the forum. I tried your link but seems to be very pop up hungry so have not listened to it. Can you try using something like youtube to host the video?

Agree with John check your valve clearance 1st as this is a good part of your service.

Welcome.
Id try pulling each of the leads one by one and see if the knock goes away.
If it does go away your looking at rod bearings or gudgen pin.

How does the car drive?

Hey,

I have looked at other fourms and this was mentioned, so gave it a go when making the video it never seemed to make a difference :unsure:

Car drives absolutely fine no lack of power smooth as anything yeah really good always has just this annoying knocking every now and then. :mad:

Hello Andrew
Welcome to the forum. I tried your link but seems to be very pop up hungry so have not listened to it. Can you try using something like youtube to host the video?

Hey,

Sorry about that wanted a free easy video hosting site and picked the first one.

I'll try and upload to a better site soon

Hi,

Yeah sorry should have gone in to a little more detail, Checked clearances all within tolerance :mad:

Sounds like a top end noise to to me (judging by the vid). Actually, sounds very much like the tappets or a cam problem. Also too, it's worth bearing in mind it's not easy to damage a bottom end on a Honda, of course it has been done. I'd check the clearances again and inspect cam & rockers, run the engine for a second or two without the rocker cover and have a good listen.

110k full honda service till 80k then i've serviced it every 8k.

Good news on that front so, less likely it's a bearing gone due to lack of oil changes or no oil. Proper diagnostics is the key here rather than just stripping down the engine. Might be time to call in a professional for an opinion. Get a scope anyway as it may point in the direction or even pinpoint the problem, they're cheap & it's a handy tool to have, can be good for finding interior rattles too.

Let us know how you progress.

What I hear at 1:16 sounds very bad. I cant imagine valveclearance would cause a knock like this.
Sounds more like a big-end, small-end issue to me.

I hope im wrong tho. :blush:

right well time to get it in the a dealer me thinks. Thanks all for taking the time to look and answer my question.

Good shout at least this will take out the guess work.
If your anywhere near Vtec direct iv heard good reviews from them.
I no Si has used them a fair bit for work on his ATR