What's new

Engine management light

grentuu

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord SE Executive
Out driving this morning and all of a sudden the dreaded light comes on.

Car behaves no differently. There was no reason no noises or sounds. I have no idea. Only thing done recently was timing belt changed by Honda 2 months ago.

I'm probably going to have to take it to Honda on Monday but

1) Is it safe to drive - I have work this weekend which I have to get to and this is the only mode of transport (work isnt on a bus or train route)

2) Anyone got any ideas?

if you can get codes we can tell you what the issue is. My guess if no change in performance etc will be egr fault. DO NOT take honda's word and get a new valve, totally unecessary and expensive. If its not egr could be a simple random misfire code.

My guess if no change in performance etc will be egr fault. DO NOT take honda's word and get a new valve, totally unecessary and expensive.
Completely agree, I had two garages tell me the egr & idle control valves needed replacing - Honda parts only @ £375 & £450 each. A couple of hours to learn how to pull the engine bay apart and a bit of carb cleaner & they have been fine since.

Moral of the story - don't always trust what a garage says!

As long as the car has oil and water then there won't be any problems driving it if there is no change in the characteristcs of the car.

Get the code read, and then go from there.

Thanks guys, I'll get the code read on Tuesday and let you know.

Thanks again

Always take the guesswork out if it and have the code reads first before panicking. Code readers are cheap enough now, you can even buy them from Argos of all places. Just keep one at home, they work with most cars from 99 year onwards.

Also if the fault is serious, the ECU will put the car into limp mode to protect it from damage. As it's behaving normally, I would suggest it's a relatively minor issue.

Always take the guesswork out if it and have the code reads first before panicking. Code readers are cheap enough now, you can even buy them from Argos of all places. Just keep one at home, they work with most cars from 99 year onwards.

Also if the fault is serious, the ECU will put the car into limp mode to protect it from damage. As it's behaving normally, I would suggest it's a relatively minor issue.

Not trying to be cheap but Argos are asking £80 for the rac code reader. I am a mature student who has just had 3 weeks off work sick so money is at a premium. Normally I would just buy it. Does anyone know of a good reader at a better price I could get Monday? (not ebay or amazon, somewhere I could go and pick up.) Also noticed all the ones at Argos Ebay etc say they will work with all cars from 2001... is this going to be a problem with a 6th gen W reg (2000)?

Also would disconnecting the battery solve anything or is it just likely to come back on?

Thanks

Just make sure you have a 16 pin OBD 2 port before you buy a code reader..

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-eobd-engine-fault-code-reader?da=1&TC=SRC-fault

Just make sure you have a 16 pin OBD 2 port before you buy a code reader..

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-eobd-engine-fault-code-reader?da=1&TC=SRC-fault

Thanks for the machinemart link. :)

Where is the port on a 6th gen? - No worries, just phoned Honda - behind the glove box passenger side.

****** hell - they want £51 just to hook up the scanner!!!

Aplogies for being a complete idiot.... the guy at Machine mart just said to me... 'shame you aren't with the RAC..they would come out and do it for you......'

I am lol. RAC on the way.

Does anyone know if the 2000 (W) reg 2.0i se exec is obd2? I can't find the plug anywhere

I have a sneaky feeling it isn't mate... there was a thread about it some time ago. I think on those it's 2001 onwards that are OBD2.

RAC guy came and went - took 20 minutes to find ****** obd adaptor. Hidden behind carpet on passenger side right next to centre console.

Anyway - CODE 643 - EGR Lift insufficient.

He has reset the light which has not come back on. He advised to take it for a blast on motorway for half an hour to see what if light comes back on. He checked it over and said it sounded 'sweet as a nut'.

What is the best course of action if the light does come back on?

Update

Just took it for a proper blast on the motorway - glad there was none of our 'blues and twos' friends on there. Everything running great and light has stayed off.

Sounds like it has a slightly sticking EGR valve mate. Just remove it and give it a good clean up with some carb cleaner or EGR cleaner solution. Ensure there is good movement of the valve. Pretty straightforward, I think Saj did this on his 6th gen some time ago he may have pics to help you.

Sounds like it has a slightly sticking EGR valve mate. Just remove it and give it a good clean up with some carb cleaner or EGR cleaner solution. Ensure there is good movement of the valve. Pretty straightforward, I think Saj did this on his 6th gen some time ago he may have pics to help you.

Unfortunately, I'm not that mechanically minded. What would I be looking at to have this done? (cleaned not replaced?)

Just checked with Honda... over £300 for a new one... yet yank websites quote $123.. about £70. How on earth do they justify it?

Rob any decent local garage can do it mate.. don't bother with a new one and even a slightly sticking egr valve on a petrol engine like that isn't going to give you any real issues in my opinion.

Rob any decent local garage can do it mate.. don't bother with a new one and even a slightly sticking egr valve on a petrol engine like that isn't going to give you any real issues in my opinion.

Thanks. I've been reading up and it probably is within my limited skills to do it so all I'll need is a gasket. I'll see how it runs over the next few days.

Thanks for all your help.

Rob remember what Andy said, don't take Honda's word and get a new valve, why not take a trip to Winsford and get him to sort it for you.

Thanks. I've been reading up and it probably is within my limited skills to do it so all I'll need is a gasket. I'll see how it runs over the next few days.

Thanks for all your help.
It's just two bolts and an electrical connector (maybe one pipe to the air intake, can't remember exactly), you shouldn't need a gasket, just give it all a liberal dose of cleaner and maybe a gentle dig around with a pipe cleaner and you'll be good to go. 30 / 45 mins max including tea break.

its only a couple of bolts......will probably look something like this when you take it off

2011-08-24201309.jpg

Then clean it lol.............

2011-08-24202535.jpg

Bolt back on...jobs a good un :p

Does the 1.8 have the plate on the inlet manifold like the type R?????

2011-04-15170933.jpg

Needs cleaning as well so you end with a pile of this

2011-04-15172456.jpg

Simple job but if your not confident Andy will take good care of you!! B)

^^^Seconded.

I did the plate myself, but couldn't do the valve, so whilst getting some other work done, Andy sorted it for me.