What's new

Engine noise changes when depress clutch

Graphite Pearl

Members
Reaction score
Car
ES GT iDTEC
Ok maybe im being paranoid about a DMF issue, but I have noticed that the engine (well I think its the engine) noise changes when I depress the clutch, on tickover and this is mostly noticeable when cold and sat in the car with doors shut there is a definite knocking sound (typical rough diesel/big end type noise) however when I press the clutch the noise disappears, now the paranoid in me says this could be the DMF or clutch release bearing, however the noise is a constant knock and not so much of a rattle that the DMF seems to be.
The car has done 37000 miles but im not sure how hard those miles have been driven, whether motorway ( I suspect not) or town /short journeys.

Any advise would be appreciated guys.

If it changes as the clutch is depressed then yes most likely DMF wear but it could be well within tolerance so I wouldn't panic unnecessarily

Yes it gets quieter once the pedal is pressed, when I get up to see you maybe you can have a listen and see what you guys think?...should be sometime next month hopefully.

OOPS! ...got this the wrong way round, the noise comes when I press the clutch and NOT when it is just on tickover...does that change the diagnosis at all?

Yep if the noise isn't there on idle then not a problem. I'll get the lads to ***ess it when you come.

Thanks mate, just hoping for a free Saturday in April.

Hopefully it wont be anything, I have read a few articles where the early 8th Gens have a slight noise when the cutch is depressed, I am going up to see Faddy tomorrow so hopefully his guys will be able to put my mind at ease....looking forward to the drive back with a few more horses under the bonnet ;)

Have you had the dpf taken off your then ??

Iv also got the noise on the clutch but not to fussed can't get any worse than the single mass flywheel I fitted to my Tdi Ibiza lol

Yes mate check Karl's feedback in the premier tuning section..

And my mechanic confirmed it's his flywheel but not serious