Engine Noise under load

Davy

Members
Reaction score
Car
ictdi tourer ex
Hi All

06 iCTDi Tourer EX on 71k miles

Been away for a while - the car has behaved itself aside from the intermittent HFT which now appears to have conked out completely...

Anyway, in my recent once weekly 270 mile round trip I've noticed a quiet ticking noise when the engine is under load over 60mph. The turbo is still audible as a smooth woosh underneath so hopefully that is OK.

Car is running fine in all other respects, MPG seems ok, a bit of black smoke when booted but nothing too sinister...

Any thoughts..?

TIA

Ade

Have you checked the oil? Sounds like the injectors to me, quite normal.

Can you smell fumes in the cabin? cracked manifold makes a ticking sound too.

Have you checked the oil? Sounds like the injectors to me, quite normal.

Can you smell fumes in the cabin? cracked manifold makes a ticking sound too.

Hi F6HAD, thanks for the reply.

Checked the oil - level is fine, usual black gloop put in by Honda at the last service (62k from memory)

No fumes detectable and I couldn't see any oil at the back of the engine.

I think its a new noise - we've just booked ferries for Easter to drive to Brittany so hopefully its nothing or will reveal itself beforehand - I'll keep an ear on it. :)

Cheers

Ade

ade most members here are changeing there oil every 6 k rather than 12.5k these engines loves oil changes

ade most members here are changeing there oil every 6 k rather than 12.5k these engines loves oil changes

Update

Whilst I agree keeping oil fresh is a good idea, I'm happy to stick to the recommended service intervals as I'm not towing or doing track days etc... :)

Car back from Honda today with a clean bill of health after new rear pads and a wiper blade...

Noise seems to have disappeared, or I'm now used to it. Either way its dropped down the 'things to worry about' list..

Cheers

Ade