What's new

engine radiator upgrade for iCTDI diesel Accord ?

treboRRRR

Reaction score
Car
Accord CN1 2006 SDN
Hi fam,

Has anyone done or know is there a upgrade radiator for 7gen diesel Accord? As far as i've found form internet, i haven't found a good solution. Yes there is no plug n play rads but can anyone point me to a most compatible radiator?

Yes there may be no need for it even with stage 2 with usual street use, but i'm just curios to find some info for it.

Any thoughts?

Radiator or intercooler? Why would you need to upgrade your radiator?

Radiator or intercooler? Why would you need to upgrade your radiator?
Radiator.
Mostly for peace of mind and longevity reasons. Logic being that Honda did beef up the TYPE-S 180hp engines radiator (8gen) so it would not hurt to have bigger rad if it is remapped and you have +30 deg Celsius outside and hauling +600kg trailer for a long drive. So that is my reason :)

The Type S has a larger intercooler than a normal idtec, not a larger radiator. Your car is an ictdi, completely different engine and setup.

your current radiator is matched to the water pump, thermostat and everything else in that water circuit. It will have undergone thousands of hours of testing in all sorts of extreme conditions and scenarios. I’m pretty sure there’s nothing you can throw at it that will need your radiator upgrading. Your engine giving up will likely come sooner than you ever needing to upgrade the radiator.

also remember that diesels don’t run anywhere near as hot as petrol engines.

also remember that diesels don’t run anywhere near as hot as petrol engines.
Yet the radiator core for the diesel is 10mm (26mm) deeper than the petrol engine radiator (16mm) My guess was that is to cool the turbo. The later V6 models also run a 26mm core.

Hunting down part numbers I haven't (yet) found an non-diesel Honda that also uses the iCTDI radiator. It seems to be a unicorn. I was hoping Honda had used something from an existing parts bin when they designed the diesel.

Yet the radiator core for the diesel is 10mm (26mm) deeper than the petrol engine radiator (16mm) My guess was that is to cool the turbo. The later V6 models also run a 26mm core.

Hunting down part numbers I haven't (yet) found an non-diesel Honda that also uses the iCTDI radiator. It seems to be a unicorn. I was hoping Honda had used something from an existing parts bin when they designed the diesel.

most likely to cope with additional water circuitry for the turbo, oil and egr coolers.

most likely to cope with additional water circuitry for the turbo, oil and egr coolers.

Or (since the engine runs cooler) a guaranteed lower possibilty of failure than the petrol equivalent, greater volume for the same frontal area.

Just as a general comment, the Diesel combustion cycle is more efficient running hot, but that is not practical given the metals and lubricants necessary to create a contemporary working diesel engine. I think it was some time in the 1990s that I read about experiments running a fully ceramic diesel engine that could cope, without cooling, with the temperatures diesel would like, however the ceramics could not cope with shock and pressure waves ***ociated with internal combustion. The technology was more applicable to turbines.