What's new

Engine stops randomly

peteraccord

Members
Reaction score
Car
2004 Honda Accord
Hello Everyone,
I have a 2002 Accord 2.0SE Exec. I had problems what I slowly fixed. A month ago, the engine is starts doing funny things. I went shopping the engine warmed up for 70-80 degrees. After a 15 minutes shopping I sit back and start the engine and after a mile the engine start dragging and stops. I could restart and work again for a 10 meters and did the same. I find it out its a missfire. But where? Cranckshaft sensor? Camshaft sensor? I did the ground cable coz it was look not healthy. Any idea somebody?
Sadly I don't trust any mechanic guy since they broke my alternator and put steering oil on my timingbelt, when they changed it. Anyway I love restoring and fixing the little beast:)

Hmmm... If I am on the motorway the thermometer is not drop down, but the car is blowing just cold air into the cabin. Maybe? Check it?

Do you have the engine management light on? Can you get an OBD2 scanner to read any codes?

I had a misfire situation recently which turned out to be a botched fuel line job so I went down this troubleshooting road;

Spark Plugs
HT Leads
Air Filter
Distributor Cap & Rotor
Fuel Filter (was new)
Cylinder Leakage Test.

If you do have the means to buy a Bluetooth OBD2 and have an Android device then you might consider also buying the Torque App (full version)

You can pull codes and information, log it and then graph it that might help you find an issue. I am trying to learn more about this and it may turn out to be a useful diagnostic tool.

TorquePIDtest1b_zps1b18b082.jpg

TorquePIDtest2voltage_zps577b167c.jpg

Thanks for the answers guys! Yes the level is okay and the thermostat opens.
I have an O2 heated circuit fail on bank 1 circuit 1. Nothing else. I had problems with oil level. Now it's fixed no more leaking! When the oil level was low I had a knock sensor malfunction. Since its not leaking its okay.

Could it be the ignition switch?

I decided to put the beast in a garage till i get money to fix it. I am gonna buy a cheap something on 4 wheels. Now the alarm goes funny aswell :D problem problem... So I am going to sit the car on the thinking point:) Thank you for all your help. I am gonna check these just a bit later.

Sadly I can't put it in the garage. My friend who I know 10 yrs ago, just made me more problems... He has money problems and just asking money for nothing... "Friends will be friends!"...
It's still stopping but I have some observations. When I start the car from totally cold it is working great. If I stop in a car park going for shopping and its not cooling down properly so the engine is around 30 degree. Get in start again and when it's reach the optimal temperature the engine start dragging and stopping. It's not react for the throttle pedal just for the 4th press the Rev is dropping and stop. I can fire it up straight away but as soon as I release the clutch do it again. Tricky beast innit? :D

when you turn the ignition on when it's warm can you hear the fuel pump come on for a second or so to pressurise the system?

I'm gonna find it out because normally I can't hear anything. But I had problems with the fuel pump aswell coz it made a weird noise! I changed the pump and not making anymore.
So I'm gonna listen it :D
Thanks for the advise!

I've listened and the pump switch on and put the system under pressure. I think on the right way coz no weird noises just one when it's switch on and do what it has to do