What's new

Engine tapping noise after valve clearances K24

djtopa

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Type S
Cheers I need your opinion on this.
I bought used Accord CL9 K24 and took it to my mechanic for valve clearances.He is fixing all my Honda cars (5 of them) I was always OK with his work.But this one is strange.Accord had no noise at all before valve clearances now I hear tapping noise from top of the engine when I lift the hood no noise inside car or when hood down.He told me that probably nobody has ever done valve clearances on car (car is on 300 000kms) and that they where way to tight and because of that engine was quieter.Thats strange because I dont remember my old Hondas where that noisy after that job only before..(H22,B16 series):Thanks!

What spec has he adjusted them to?

I found those specs on internet and told him to do it that way:
Intake:0.21-0.25mm (0.008-0.010in)
Exhaust:0.25-0.29 (0.010-0.011in)

All K series engines make a slight tapping noise this is due to the injectors.
Just a thought did your guy adjust the valves with a completely cold car as if not this is your problem.

brett said:
All K series engines make a slight tapping noise this is due to the injectors.
Just a thought did your guy adjust the valves with a completely cold car as if not this is your problem.
Yes he knows that car has to be cold I leave it night before that work.
Injectors?How come I didnt hear them before that job?

djtopa said:
Yes he knows that car has to be cold I leave it night before that work.
Injectors?How come I didnt hear them before that job?
You might be paranoid now about noises.
Is the noise there all the time or just when cold.If the noise disappears when the engine is up to temp then it's the valves.
TBH if your not happy get him to check them again.
If it's you injectors tapping the noise will be coming from the front cover on your engine.Take the cover off and have a good listen.

Thanks gonna check thing is its quieter when car is cold.Then its a little louder when its warmed up.Also I have friend with CL9 with only 80 000kms and he adjusted valves by himself on his car and its also noiser after that.Not as loud as mine but is also tapping.

djtopa said:
Thanks gonna check thing is its quieter when car is cold.Then its a little louder when its warmed up.Also I have friend with CL9 with only 80 000kms and he adjusted valves by himself on his car and its also noiser after that.Not as loud as mine but is also tapping.
I must admit mine is the same when warmed up.Im sure it's down to the revs being higher on a cold engine.
My bet it's just the injectors a little noisy and because you have had your valves done your looking for noises btw I'm the same.