What's new

Engine won't rev past 5k on neutral

VtecK

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.0 i-VTEC
Hello people,

As per topic. My car will not let me rev it over 5k when on neutral. It bounces back like on rev limiter.
When I drive it feels normal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khys-7isKZ0

Any advice?

Thanks

Kris

This is normal mate its to protect the engine.
Mine only goes to 4.5 K on standstill

No probs I did wander that myself when I brought the car.

Yes :) I did not had a chance to rev it - until had my exhaust and cone filter fitted to hear how it really sound lol

Thanks again!

Kris

I think mine tops out at 4-4.5K when stationary. I also think you can't hit VTEC unless in gear, so rolling in neutral and flooring it won't activate VTEC. I could be wrong on that one. But still, it's all protective measures. Good design practice really.

Correct - it is actually 4.5k when it cuts out on mine as well.
When it reach 4k it sound like VTEC is on - but is it? Don't know.

It is a really good protection - I have never heard of it before.

Correct - it is actually 4.5k when it cuts out on mine as well.
When it reach 4k it sound like VTEC is on - but is it? Don't know.

It is a really good protection - I have never heard of it before.

corret guys this is to protect the engine and to stop the nutheads out there revving the **** out of it in neutral, first noticed it in a dc5 integra although my integra dc2 usally could rev all the way lol

My prelude 2.2 vti limits just on vtec at standstill. Sounds absolutely mental

VTEC on the 7th gen I think kicks in about 5.5. At least it does on the 2.4. Could be different on the 2.0. But either way, I don't think VTEC will kick if the car is stationary.

VTEC on the 7th gen I think kicks in about 5.5. At least it does on the 2.4. Could be different on the 2.0. But either way, I don't think VTEC will kick if the car is stationary.

I thought it kicks in close to 4k - as it sound like VTEC when going over that rpm. I know that there is something going on in between 3-4k as well - intelligent-VTEC

old school vtec is the best.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8AfgDdwOKI

..ek9 civic typr r

I thought it kicks in close to 4k - as it sound like VTEC when going over that rpm. I know that there is something going on in between 3-4k as well - intelligent-VTEC

Depending on how hard you stamp on the accelerator determines what happens when. That's the "i" in the i-VTEC and it relates to the cam node angle adjusting. The cam node angle adjusts around the 3K area when pushed hard. It's not VTEC, but will give increased torque and grunt. Means if you drive below 2.5K you'll get really good economy, but once up to 3-4, thinks pick up nicely. That's what you're hearing, but it's not VTEC. In fact the K series on a stock maps tends to get a little weak around the 6K mark and that's why the VTEC is engaged then, to compensate for that. The K series doesn't have the old fashioned kick-back. The transition is much smoother and subtle. Not so kick-back-like.

Read this article about the various aspects on the VTC and VTEC combined in the i-VTEC. It's interesting and offers some good insight into how the K series works. I don't feel I got the best out of my car until I read this. It makes the engine characteristics make more sense and in my opinion is a must read for all K series owners. It will help you get the best in terms of fuel economy and the best in performance depending on what mood you're in ;) .

Thats a rev limiter, but once you're above 6mph you can go to 7200rpm, in neutral or in any gear with the clutch pressed.