EPS - Electric Power Steering

freddofrog

won 16.4k on Euro lottery :)
Reaction score
Car
TBD
The power steering looks fully hydraulic on my car

is EPS used on any Accords ?

JDM 6th gens definitely had it. Not sure about UK cars, though I'd be surprised of the 8th gen didn't have it as it's fairly common on new cars. I prefer hydraulic PAS though, or even better no power ***istance at all :p I like the feedback from the wheels!

Only the Euro-R CL7 has EPS, the rest of the world CL9/CL7 have hydraulic type.

The 7th gen se models have eps. It was a cheap solution for honda to fit and save some money.

EPS is used on the 8th gen

The Euro and US CL9 does not have EPS, we have hydraulic steering. Only the Japanese Euro-R CL7 has EPS.

Do you want to bet or something?

Just look at my topic where I've installed Spoon steering rack bushes you will see the pictures and proof.

Only the latest generation of Accord switched to EPS which is bad as the CL9 has a better steering feel.

The Euro and US CL9 does not have EPS, we have hydraulic steering. Only the Japanese Euro-R CL7 has EPS.

Do you want to bet or something?

Just look at my topic where I've installed Spoon steering rack bushes you will see the pictures and proof.

Only the latest generation of Accord switched to EPS which is bad as the CL9 has a better steering feel.
Dude my mates 54 plate 2.0 se has eps. The se were the base models and eps was fitted to them to keep costs down. When I get a chance I'll get a pic of the dash and actual unit. My 05 diesel exec has hydraulic system though.

The 54 plate is a CL7 ?
That will be odd then, because before having a CL9 I had a CL7 which had hydraulic steering type, too
The only thing it comes to my mind is that in your UK market some CL cars were sold with LKAS systems, which I believe it does require EPS, in order for the LKAS to work.
Does your friend have LKAS in his CL7 ?

Best to check by the first 11 characers on the VIN, rather than reg plate.

For example, my car is 54 reg, it's a Tourer (CM2 version of CL7), but it was made in 2003

First 11 characters of my VIN are

JHM (made in Japan)
CM2 (petrol tourer)
78 (7th gen executive trim, on the 7th gen diesel exec they use 75 here)
0 (check digit)
3 (2003 .... note that mine is 54 plate but was actually made in 2003)
C (the plant where it was made, I think all 7th and 8th gens have C here)

The 54 plate is a CL7 ?
That will be odd then, because before having a CL9 I had a CL7 which had hydraulic steering type, too
The only thing it comes to my mind is that in your UK market some CL cars were sold with LKAS systems, which I believe it does require EPS, in order for the LKAS to work.
Does your friend have LKAS in his CL7 ?
No mate. He doesn't have lkas. In the uk the SE is the base model in Accord and comes with the basic spec. Well in the 7th gen is the lower specd car.

I myself have hydrolic PAS

Interesting stuff ... Is funny how Honda decided to use EPS where at least expected.
I wouldn't expect the Euro-R to use EPS while CL9 uses hydraulic type.
Then at the same time the JDM EP3 Type-R used hydraulic type but the Euro EP3 Type-R used EPS...

I think we've gotten to the bottom of it, but yes EPS was used on the 2003 Accord SE - drove one and I hated it. It just make the steering seem to detached from the wheels - not that the Accord gives brilliant feedback to start.

I'd EPS on the Civic I owed, and never took to it either, but it did get better feedback. I think EPS is now the standard as it's cheaper and proves better economy?

Afaik, EPS is used on the 7th gen models that were not of the sports type i.e. se model, ex and if you've LKAS, then you definitely have EPS. My type s is 2.0 and because it's was a "sport" model, I've hydraulic power steering.
This link says all except top spec has hydraulic, but that's on the tourer, am trying to find saloon specs aswell
http://www.scribd.com/doc/71149257/Honda-Accord-Tourer-7th-Gen-Facelift

Dude my mates 54 plate 2.0 se has eps. The se were the base models and eps was fitted to them to keep costs down. When I get a chance I'll get a pic of the dash and actual unit. My 05 diesel exec has hydraulic system though.

Your 100% right bud, all 2.0 models come with EPS. I'm looking into doing the EPS conversion on my CL9.

My 2.0 2003 Sport has hydraulic PAS. Steering feel/weight not great though, in fact the steering is the biggest criticism (how do you spell that?) I have about the car

My 2.0 2003 Sport has hydraulic PAS. Steering feel/weight not great though, in fact the steering is the biggest criticism (how do you spell that?) I have about the car

Why don't you adjust the toe? I believe Honda released a toe-in setting to improve feedback.

FWIW - if you feel that the hydraulic is not great, the EPS isn't going to float your boat either!

^^
Quite right, EPS is about as detached as steering feel gets from my experience. Having driven a fairly large range of the newest Honda's, plus a fair amount of other random cars over the last year or so, I find that if you want steering feedback then you don't want any form of ***isted steering, end of really. PAS is usually a good compromise between 'feel' and ease of use at low speeds. It's different from car to car though, some have good feedback, others are very wallowy. EPS is definitely the most detached of the lot. As far as I can determine it's designed solely for comfort and not much else. Some cars do firm up at speed, but I still don't think it's a substitute for either PAS or just huge man arms :lol:

Just my 2 pence mind :)

Why don't you adjust the toe? I believe Honda released a toe-in setting to improve feedback.

FWIW - if you feel that the hydraulic is not great, the EPS isn't going to float your boat either!

Have you ever changed the p/s fluid??

Me? Yep - twice.

Sorry man, was meant to quote the other chap who felt his steering was useless in feedback terms.

Biut since you do it regularly, have you noticed any difference after the change?

sorry if this is a bit of a noob question, but is it possible to swap it the other way around. i.e: swapping the Hydraulic System in the CL9 Type S into the CL7 Euro R? :ph34r:

Biut since you do it regularly, have you noticed any difference after the change?

Not a big difference in feeling, however when I've changed the fluid I have found debris, gunk in the bottom of the resevoir and ultmately this clogs the pump pressure valve.

I've done an Accord that was hopping mid-turn and the obvious suspects such as shocks, spings, bushings, alignment, etc was all done. In the end it was the PSP and fluid! The pressure on the rack when turning the car in a sharp bend (e.g. roundabout) meant the pump would pulse and give a hopping effect on the wheel. For the sake of the cost of PSP fluid I've swapped it.

sorry if this is a bit of a noob question, but is it possible to swap it the other way around. i.e: swapping the Hydraulic System in the CL9 Type S into the CL7 Euro R? :ph34r:

You *could* - but you've have a few things to sort out that wouldn't make it worthwhile:

1. A new rack and tie-rods (possible different length in rods)
2. A PSP along with somewhere to mount it
3. The resevoir along with all the piping - steel/rubber
4. A new drive/aux belt to drive the pump
5. Someway to bypass the EPS error alert (as it would report a missing rack! :) )

The Euro R steering is programmed to feel heavy anyway, it should feel more solid than the standard Accord.

You *could* - but you've have a few things to sort out that wouldn't make it worthwhile:

1. A new rack and tie-rods (possible different length in rods)
2. A PSP along with somewhere to mount it
3. The resevoir along with all the piping - steel/rubber
4. A new drive/aux belt to drive the pump
5. Someway to bypass the EPS error alert (as it would report a missing rack! :) )

The Euro R steering is programmed to feel heavy anyway, it should feel more solid than the standard Accord.
Thanks for the input. gonna need to find part numbers (or Type S half cuts) locally if I were to go about doing the conversion. the EPS on the Euro R is OK, but I still love the feedback that Hydraulic systems give. Even the FD2 CTR is hydraulic, and I love that car :)

Really, the Euro R has EPS.... why on earth would they do that?? That's shocked me now :huh: :huh: :huh:

Really, the Euro R has EPS.... why on earth would they do that?? That's shocked me now :huh: :huh: :huh:
yeah, I was like that at first but at least after driving it, it's much better then a GD1 Honda Jazz or an FD2 Civic 2.0 Auto. But still can't beat the hydraulic feeling which I long for :'(