What's new

EPS issues or bushes?

markquinton

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Ex 2.0 i-vtec
Hi All

A couple of months ago I bought a 2009 2.0 i-vtec ES Gt from my local Honda dealer. It has 66k and fsh. When i first got the car I was delighted with how it drove and was enjoying the car with the exception with a slight knock from the front suspension when going over pot holes and manhole covers which I put down the lower control bushes which were listed on the MOT advisory. However not long after I bought the car someone drove into the back of me so the car had go in for a new bumper and repair to the tailgate. Nothing else was damaged. Due to a shortage of parts the car was away for about 4 weeks. Having now got the car back I'm not quite so happy with the car, the steering feels vague around the centre at slow speed meaning i seem to be turning the wheel quite a way when crawling in traffic to make slight turns. It also feels heavier than it was and pulls to the left slightly if you let go of the wheel, it generally doesn't inspire any confidence due to the lack of feel. I've checked the tire pressures which are fine.

I'm confused as to whether A) i'm disappointed with the steering because I've been driving a brand new 3 series BMW B ) the compliance bushes have got to a point where they are really affecting the steering or C) as the car has been standing a while and the battery went flat that possibly the electronic steering needs calibrating???

Does the steering need to be re-calibrated in anyway or is it more likely down to the compliance bushes?

Any advice is welcome.

Regards

Mark

Have you had the compliance bushes checked? I’ve never had to calibrate an EPS before. Sounds more of a mechanical issue such as bushes or tyres

No not since the MOT i expect when they were listed as an advisory. The steering does require quite regular corrections so that probably is the cause.

Had a similar issue on my wife’s FRV when we first got it and replacing the compliance and ARB D bushes cured it