Epsilom Alloys Refurbishing Option

Stevearcade

TA Friend
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
2003 Accord CM2
Hi Guys,

My Epsilons (link to example) are corroded in a terrible state and will need refurbishing before my next set of tyres.

If/when I get them refurbished I'm not sure what to do. I think they're really boring alloys and the normal silver is rather drab. I love black, white and gun-smoke grey alloys and wonder if these alloys could pull off a different colour.

Do you think Epsilons will look at all decent in anything other than silver?

Or should I just buy some second hand Pentas when the time comes ;)

Thanks.

What a plum :huh: ! I put an 'm' instead of an 'n' at the end of Epsilon in the ***le. Oh well :blush: .

I have Epsilons on my Accord as well. The standard finish on these wheels is prone to corrosion and when I got my car, they had already been refurbished with a regular "matt silver paint" alloy wheel finish. If you buy new Epsilons, I would think the standard finish they come with will also corrode in time.

Even though my wheels have a non-standard finish, they look OEM; I am not a fan (big time!) of the non-standard look so would not go for black, white or gun-smoke grey finishes myself. If you don't like Epsilons, then Pentas look good and they are gun-smoke grey as standard ...

Yeah, I would put pentas on it any day. It's all about budget. If, when the time comes, I can't get a cheap and decent set of pentas, I'll need to go for the refurb, and then it's case of the normal silver look or try something a little different?

Hi
A member called Puppy changed the colour of his epsilons but I can't find his original post with pics. I would maybe email him and ask for him to send you a pic or if he could put one up here. It looked quite good really. I do like epsilons but the corrosions made me change mine. However the original finish does look smart indeed.

I think these would look great in a gun metal grey finish, just my personal opinion though, thats what I was going to do when I was looking for a set of these

The Powder Coater I know does 80% of his customer’s wheels in Gunmetal Grey.

The colour strikes a good balance, it partially hides brake dust and dirt better than silver and it doesn't show up as much scratches or imperfections as gloss black.

I'm getting my Penta's Powder Coated soon, a totally one off colour but in keeping with the OEM Honda theme?

Cheers guys much appreciated advice.

:)

I have got Epsilons on mycar and had them powder coated in anthracite :

DSC05283.jpg

DSC05285.jpg

DSC05284.jpg

Once fitted with Vred Sessantas :
scan10.jpg

IMAG0061.jpg

IMAG0062.jpg

Could not resist a quick pic wh0re :D

Wow those look cool in gun metal. I thought the centre caps were plastic & couldnt be powder coated. I guess not! Mr thehole - did the logos come off the caps easy enough prior to coating? I guess wheel choice is pretty personal but I think epsilons look way better than pentas -they look modern like the on some minis - providing theyre not flaking lacquer!!

Wicked! Thanks TheHole. I PM'd Puppy who also linked me to some nice pics of his wheels. Looked much the same as yours.

I think my minds made up. If I can squeeze a good deal, I will be going for Pentas, but that would always be the case. But if I can't get Pentas at the right price, then I have no issues with the Epsilons anymore. The moment they go Gun Metal Grey, they lose all their Granddad factor. Awesome stuff, who'd have thought it.

Thanks for all the input guys, very much appreciated.

:)

I must be one of the only people around with a decent set of epsilon's. Mine are still looking good in their orginal machined finish 8 years later. :D

guys, my center caps are painted ;) wheels are powder coated.

Got them done for 50 each which i thought wasnt too bad.
They still look the same 3 yrs later too!

I must be one of the only people around with a decent set of epsilon's. Mine are still looking good in their orginal machined finish 8 years later. :D

Nice indeed! My understanding is that over time, moisture gets in under the lacquer and then the corrosion starts. Short of never driving the car and keeping it in an air-conditioned cocoon all the time, I thought corrosion was inevitable.

So how do you do it?

There's something about the laquered type of alloy which makes them corrode easily after the slightest scratch. My 18" Ford S-Max rims are in a tatty state.

Sputnik had mega scabby epsilons but very soon after I got it, I spotted some Civic sport rims going cheap and I never looked back. So it looks unique and they suit it well.

df8c_3.jpg

DSCF0567.jpg

Is it possible to do a DIY refurb on mirror finish alloys like the epsilons? Sanding to give a key, few coats of primer, colour then lacquer???

Saj, no its not that simple. The Epsilon wheel face is diamond cut by machine which gives the stripey machined pattern, then lacquered. Its a paint free process. You could try some 'old school' mirror polishing at home, but the problem is once corrossion has started, the wheel surface has become pitted. As soon as you try to polish it (be it pro diamond refinish or DIY mirror polishing) any blemish will stick out like a sore thumb. I took my epsilons to several wheel refinshers and they refused to diamond recut as they dont know how deep the corrossion is until they start. Its also quite expensive. Much easier, cheaper & durable to powder coat. BTW the flaking lacquer isnt a Honda issue - you see it on Porsches, Audis & Range Rovers - lacquer wont stop salt damage from a passing gritter! But the polished rims do look way cool IMO. If your rims are shot (like mine were) & you really want to do this I would suggest sourcing the best used wheels you can (ebay etc) . You usually find the condition varies on each car (some are in better condition than others). So source several sets, pick 'n' mix the best wheels, polish them & move the rest on. Epsilons seem to secure a fair price on ebay. A lot of work - or powder coat!