What's new

Error code 22 - VTEC system malfunction

Hengist

Members
Reaction score
Car
2005 Accord 2.0 Exec
A couple of days ago, I got a CEL and my car went into limp mode.

Pulling error codes by the trusty paperclip method gave me a code 22 - "VTEC system malfunction".

I've had the spool valve thingy off (rear driver side of the block - not as handy as on my Prelude!) and given it a good clean, and made sure the 2 electrical connectors are on nice and tight. The mesh filter actually looked pretty clean anyway.

Anyway, it made no difference. If I clear the error code the car will sit and idle nicely, but as soon as I start going the CEL comes on again and I can't go above 3K revs without it cutting out.

Funnily enough, as I was driving along yesterday the light went off and I was able to go above 3K revs no bother. Back again this morning, though.

What do you guys think? Is there anything else I could check, or should I be looking at replacing the spool valve ***embly?

Older Accords used to suffer the VTEC solenoid needing replacing, maybe this is the case. VTEC works on an oil pressure system, so check your oil level. Alternatively maybe your oil filter needs replacing.

Was thinking an oil change may be in order - only got the car a couple of months ago, though the oil had recently been changed at a H dealer (not sure what they used, though). Oil level is currently fine.

When you say "oil filter", do you mean the mesh one in the valve/solenoid ***embly? Nice and clean.

The error sets at under 2000rpm with the car in gear (can rev as much as I want in neutral with the code cleared).

<edit>It appears that the code cancels intermittently . Twice I've been out and when the engine's warm the CEL goes off and I can rev freely. On one of those occasions, though, it came back on again a few minutes later and back to 3K limiter. Got some oil, but no filters at local Halfrauds!