What's new

Excessive Idle Vibration

J4JAV

Mr OCD Detailing
Reaction score
Car
Accord CL7 & ATR
Hi Chaps,

I have a slight issue which has developed on my car during the last month or so... during idle when the car is parked I can feel this really excessive vibration within the car interior, it has became worse over time, if I open the glove box during idle it actually vibrates the glovebox door making a rattle!

I have owned it for nearly 4 years now and never had this issue before, its always been nice and quiet on idle, sometime you cant even hear it! It only happens when the engine has reached its normal temperature,the idle revs are around 600/700 depending on what angle you look at it from. But as soon as you give it the slightest touch on the accelerator it stops, even the very slightest!

The car has been maintained as many of you know, serviced twice a year, using genuine parts etc... new iridium spark plugs a few weeks ago, although the vibration was there on the old ones too. I do have an Injen CAI and I thought it may have been that causing it but tonight I checked over all the fittings etc... and it is the actual engine what is causing the vibration to the rest of the car... you can feel the most vibration through the rear mount of the engine, and to be honest I don't think its the mounts...

Have any of you petrol guys had a similar issue? or does anyone else know what it could be? The engine runs fine, great MPG, just come from London recently too and its spot on, just this annoying vibration on idle. Also the A/C is off and so it climate control,I have checked the basics... when the A/C is switched on it does stop as of course its under load and the revs increase very slightly.. the mileage is just getting close to 100k miles... and it is also important to mention that I did change the oil grade recently from 5w30 to 5w40, same brand but changed to Millers new nano oil...

Any help or advice would be appreciated... another thing is does anyone know someone with a HDS, I need to check a CANBUS related fault with my door switch and the ordinary SNAP On diagnostics of course wont pick up this problem, I know the fault vaguely need to get the bottom of knowing if its a short wiring or a new multiplex control unit! :mad:

Thank you!

It's your CAI mate. Swap over to the stock air intake system and then see if the problem disappears.

The CAI can play havoc with the cars Mass Air readings which ultimately control the fuelling. You will find that change in the weather will affect how the engine responds with a CAI kit on it.

Have you cleaned your CAI filter recently?

yep I have washed the lifetime filter which it comes with, and its located behind the bumper (long ram intake) it has the special water cover over it too... now that you mention the weather, I fitted this in the winter and it was fine, now that its my first summer with it fitted, it seems to have started this issue! I will swap over tomorrow and see what happens lol

And I have a HDS by the way, bring the car down to captains tomorrow evening we'll be painting the Saab i'll check it there.