What's new

Exhaust manifold cracked weld or replace

GAZB

Members
Reaction score
Car
HONDA ACCORD CTDI
I'm getting bad fume smell in the cabin on my 2007 Accord ctdi , could I get the exhaust manifold taken off and welded up by a good welder or would it just crack again

Weld it, we do them all the time

How many miles are on the clock?
I only ask as I got my 2005 fixed free of charge only last month.

Oh okay, I ***ume the only reason they agreed to do it is because I was just under 110k.
I doubt it'd be worth installing a new manifold over welding the existing one.

£200 fixed price repair in Bradford

Conor1 said:
Oh okay, I ***ume the only reason they agreed to do it is because I was just under 110k.
I doubt it'd be worth installing a new manifold over welding the existing one.
My 2005 is at 113k, still covered by Honda?

Nope past 7 years now

Skogshuggare said:
My 2005 is at 113k, still covered by Honda?

scottwaltonuk said:
Which dealership was this at?
I would recommend phoning their customer services saying how it is an underlying manufacturing fault with piece of equipment they sent out and did not openly recall despite the potential health hazard (Fumes in cabin)
I told them my concerns and they agreed to cover half the price.

Only bringing it into my local dealership in Belfast they said Customer Relations agreed to cover parts and labour as I had a full service history (Only with Honda up until 2011)

My recommendations is try to get a bargain with Customer services with Honda GB and then bring to your local dealership and ask them to see if they can do anything with customer relations.
At the end of the day I believe this is an issue that shouldn't be a case of warranty as it is a health hazard and should warrant a replacement at any period of its service life.

I think the swinging factor here was the car has been to Honda for a service till 2011. However great result either way as you now have a clean running motor.

Hi there.My car smells of fumes.is 2.2 ictdi 2006 77000miles full service history first 3 in honda garage.Do I qualify for free repair?

Would a household carbon monoxide detector go off in your cabin if you had a cracked manifold?

Car has to be less than 7 years old and less than 125k

A household CO detector might alarm, but obviously it would depend upon the alarm setting and how bad your manifold was leaking. I can smell my manifold leaking when cold and stationary, so simply hit the recirculation button until I move off.

Much less CO in diesel exhaust, so not a major concern (unlike a petrol engine).

10ppm is almost certainly less that you'd suck into the car if you were stuck in traffic behind a petrol car!