What's new

Extracting power from the 2.0 petrol

godzilla84

Members
Reaction score
Car
2003 Accord Tourer
Is it possible/worth the effort/expense to extract a few extra horses from the 2.0 petrol engine? I've thought about fitting a K&N panel filter instead of the paper element but not sure about anything else.

The K20A6 is a little limited on what you can do to extract the power. At 155 PS it's really well tuned for economy and adding better breathing with certainly help (c/o K&N) But in my experience I've found a good old fashioned service makes it run sweet. New air, oil filters, sparks and a valve adjustment really remind me how nice and engine it actually it and it's well mated to the gearbox.

Other than that you're making a bigger spend for small gains (cams, heads, etc).

Ok, I've a 2.4, but I really do have a soft spot for the 2.0 :)

good luck with that..! the k24 is not even lively enough for many a folk hence the discussion with remaps.

To be fair the K20A6 and K24A3 used in our Accords are tuned for torque rather than flat out power. The Accord is not exactly light and both pull really well giving the lump that they've to shift. Bear in mind both the K20 and K24 were used to move the CR-V also, but in the CR-V is the K24 was tuned to give only 160bhp but better torque. 155 from an NA 2 litre isn't bad and 190 from a 2.4 NA is equally good. Consider my 2.5 BMW six pot only put out 192bhp.

Anyhow, small gains for the K20A6 (1-2 hp) will come from better breathing, but the best thing is a full and proper service

I've had a 2.0 I-Vtec for just over 6 years and often thougt about trying to get a little more out of it. Following much research, the general advice is DON'T MESS WITH IT! That engine is pretty much as good as it gets when it leaves the factory. Sure, you could spend a boat load of cash messing about with cam profiles and so on, you may even gain some power, but the engine is likely to fail quickly if you try. I once knew a guy who bolted a turbo to this engine....he claimed it produced 250bhp @8000 rpm. The car did go like a rocket for about 3000 miles, then it couldn't outrun the recovery truck it was sat on!

The K&N Panel filter is a fairly cheap mod and since you wont need to replace it, reasonably cost effective too. However, you're unlikely to see more than about 3 extra horses and the only place you'll ever notice them will be on a rolling road print out!

If you really want more power from your 2.0.....sell it and get either the 2.4 (190bhp) or the 2.2 I-CDTI which will give you 132bhp as standard, but can easily be remapped to about 190bhp without causing problems

jayok said:
At 155 PS it's really well tuned for economy
The engine maybe but the gearbox certainly isn't. Not impressed by the economy figures in my 2.0 TBH.

It's not bad if you make the most of what you've got - the power is at the top of the rev range in the Accord petrols so if you want to shift get the revs up and keep them there.

nick said:
The engine maybe but the gearbox certainly isn't. Not impressed by the economy figures in my 2.0 TBH.
Nothing is efficient in the tourer and it's a serious lump to drag around. You should see the auto in it.

thats why i said previously to anyone who was getting a 2 litre to get a 2.4

well its an extra 20/30 to tax a year, wont make you homeless running it.

What I find interesting is that, according to autotraders figures, the facelift 2.0 has a faster 0-60. Does anyone know what they changed?

toffee_pie said:
just goes to show how badly tuned the k24 is.!
I mean compared to the pre facelift 2.0.

I get confused on here, people recommend the 2.4 yet comment on how bad it is with a narrow vtec range.

The K24A3 is tuned for torque not power. It makes 190-odd BHP by having a redline at 7100rpm. To get the engine to still produce power at speed, the traditional VTEC of variable lift kicks in at 6000RPM giving a very narrow VTEC band with little in terms of induction noise and the old school crazy "VTEC just kicked in yo"

The K24A3 was never built for flatout power, the K20 (ala CTR) was. Where the K24A3 shines in the torque output, coupled with the economy, the power was an after-thought.

I love my 2L, shifts really well albeit a triptronic (though the kick down is addictive) bit annoying the vtec kicks in at 6k, anyone managed to drop the amount of revs needed for vtec for the 2L?

Well that's more or less what I was expecting to hear. It does feel a little underpowered but nothing I can't live with. I will go ahead with the panel filter anyway. It's well serviced and I use premium unleaded in it most of the time. It's 10x better that what I'm used to which is my land rover discovery so I'll just make do.

Two of the current mods on my 2.0 petrol

-Injen CAI
-Custom single cat back exhaust system (no cat)

By doing these 2 mods you will notice a change in your car IMO. It's the best choice I've made.

Godzilla84 said:
What effect does having no Cat have on Emissions for MOT. How much was the custom exhaust?
What emissions? It all depends how matey you are with the tester in question. I can't remember what my setup cost, but it was under £300 from a company called Style Dynamix in Hayes. Very good friends of mine. Would recommend.