What's new

Facelift Diesel Service Queries

jeffl

Members
Reaction score
Car
06 Tourer 2.2 i-CTDi
I've been searching the forum and found loads of useful information as a prelude to carrying out the 75k service on my facelift diesel accord (manual). This is the first service I will have done on the car and I have a couple of queries. It would be great if anyone could answer them. Apologies in advance if I missed this info but I've been searching on and off for the last couple of days and can't find anything.

1. What size drain plug key will I need for the transmission fluid change? Looking at some comments the pre-facelift required a 3/8" square drain plug key, I ***ume this is the same on the facelift, but you never know.
2. There seem to be a multitude of tools out there to remove the oil filter. I have a chain whip style tool which I've used on the old style screw in metal oil filters but have read they can damage the plastic head of the oil filter holder. Looking at Halfords they do a tool that looks like it will fit (Laser Oil Filter Cup Wrench 76mm) but I can't find any reference to the size of the oil filter on the accord. Does anyone know if this will fit and if not what size I need.

Cheers,
Jeff

Jeff, good call - I don't think these questions have been covered properly.

I can't remember the exact key but I bought a LASER key set for gearbox plugs and one of them fitted. I think 3/8" sounds right and I don't expect it matters whether it's pre or post facelift.

As for the oil filter cup, I've had the cup removed with both a wrench type remover and a ratchet attached cup.

Jeff that is the right filter tool. It's the same one I bought.

Well did the service this weekend. All went well apart from the wind blowing some of the oil onto the drive and missing the massive plastic sheet I laid down :-( Apart from that the hardest part was removing the undertray as some of the poppers were locked solid. Ran out of time to do the fuel filter so that will have to be done next weekend.

Oh yeah I can confirm that the 76mm oil filter tool fitted as did the 3/8" drain plug key.

Why did you need to remove the under tray mate? Was it for the transmission fluid?

You'll find that if you remove the clips from the n/s wheel arch liner and upto the rear of the tray on the n/s you can pull it down enough to drain the gearbox without having to take the whole tray off.

Yeah it was the transmission fluid. Did only partially remove the under tray, unfortunately the stuck popper was directly underneath the drain plug for the transmission fluid and access wasn't great. Ho hum got it in the end.