What's new

Fault codes P0181 and P2199

blue101

Reaction score
Car
09 Accord 2.2 i-Dtec
Hi guys. New to this forum, hoping someone might be able to help.

I have a 2009 Honda Accord Mk8 2.2 i-Dtec manual. I recently had a DPF issue where the filter was clogged. I've had it cleaned and regenerated and that is all sorted now. However, a couple of days later I went to start the car in the morning and the check engine light came up. I plugged in my OBD2 scanner and found the following 2 codes:

P0181 - Fuel Temperature Sensor Circuit Range/Performance
P2199 - Intake Air Temperature Sensor 1/2 Correlation.

I have been driving the car since April this year and not had any issues until very recently when I had the DPF issue and now this has come up one a day or two later. Could the DPF regen have triggered this fault in some way? Or I am wondering if the two codes have anything to do with the cold weather, as in whatever sensor is giving the fault, it isnt working correctly due to the temperature being very low? Obviously, it means that the part/sensor is probably faulty, but the fault is just becoming apparent due to the cold temperature?

Anyways, thinking that the cold may have something to do with one of the sensors not reading correctly or maybe being a one-off issue, I removed the codes and I drove the car around to warm it up a little. The codes did not come back the whole day and the car was running fine. Next morning I start the car up and the same two codes show up again. This time I removed the MAF sensor and cleaned it with MAF cleaner thinking that the Intake Air Temperature sensor in the MAF may be dirty. Then removed the codes and the car was fine all day again until the next morning when the same two codes show up again.

I have been searching online for the location of the Fuel Temperature Sensor on this car, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I have the Haynes manual for the car, but it is pretty useless, with about 80% of the info being generic and not always useful for this car. Another thought is the MAP sensor. Could that have something to do with it?

Any thoughts from any of you guys would be much appreciated.

These are both electrical short circuit errors. Not at all common on these cars. The fact that it’s only happened since having your dpf tampered with suggests that whoever removed it or refitted it has damaged some wiring.

These are both electrical short circuit errors. Not at all common on these cars. The fact that it’s only happened since having your dpf tampered with suggests that whoever removed it or refitted it has damaged some wiring.

I thought that too, but the DPF was never removed, just cleaned by running the DPF cleaner through it and then doing a forced regen. Only thing I can think of is maybe the heat generated when doing the regen somehow has caused some wires to melt or something.

UPDATE:

I think I managed to solve the problem.

I figured out that the issue does indeed recur at low temperatures (below 7 degrees C). On more mild days, there are no issues. On any day where the temperature falls below 7C, I would get the two codes and the engine would go into limp mode. After warming the engine for a little while (5 - 10 mins), and then clearing the code, everything would be back to normal and no codes again until the next cold morning. I purchased the car in April 2021, so it has never really gotten that cold since I have owned the car. It is possible that the old owner had the same problem before me, but since it was summer/spring when I bought the car, the issue never came up and he did bother mentioning it either.

So the codes I mentioned above, P0181 - Fuel Temperature Sensor Circuit Range/Performance & P2199 - Intake Air Temperature Sensor 1/2 Correlation. Code P0181 for this car apparently is not to do with the Fuel Temperature Sensor, but to do with the MAP. As far as I understand, a temperature reading is first taken using the MAF sensor, and a second temperature reading is taken using the MAP sensor. The MAP sensor temperature reading is taken by some clever calculations by the ECU using pressure and air density.
Anyways, the temperature is correlated using these two sensors.

I had first tried to solve the issue by cleaning the MAF sensor, but that didn't solve the issue. I then tried to clean the MAP sensor which also didn't solve the issue (it was quite dirty, so I started to suspect it for the cause of the issue).

Then after looking around the internet for other people who may have had identical issues, I found a Polish forum where someone mentioned the same exact symptoms I had. They mentioned that this is a known issue by Honda and has a service bulletin for it.
================================

Service bulletin for this (number: SO-03-003-00)

The OEM number of the revised part: 37830-RZ0-G02

Bulletin below:
Symptom

1. The MIL light illuminates, some customers may experience the vehicle going into limp home mode.
2. The following DTC may be found.
• DTC P2199 - Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor ½ Incorrect Voltage Correlation.
• DTC P0181 - Fuel Temperature / Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor Incorrect Voltage Correlation

Cause
Natural moisture in the EGR system adversely affects the silver metal of the temperature sensing element which is within the MAP sensor. This affects the sensors voltage, current and resistance capabilities.
This then illuminates the MIL light, stores the DTC's and causes the vehicle to go into limp home mode.

Repair Method
1. Clear DTC.
2. Rewrite the engine ECM using software version HDS 3.013.023 May 2014 or later.
3. Replace MAP Sensor

The official fix is to replace the MAP sensor with a new version of the MAP sensor, however, that would require the ECU to be updated as well. Since i didnt have access to any ECU updating equipment and a main dealer will likely cost around £100 or more, I opted to just replace the MAP sensor with one in better condition. The sensor elecment in my old MAP sensor appeared to be corroded/rusted somewhat and cleaning it didnt remove the corrosion/rust. I found a used one of eBay what i managed to get for £10. The one i purchased looked to be in much better condition, and at this point I wasnt sure that it would fix the issue, hence I went for a cheaper used one rather than spending £50+ for a new one.

It has been about a week and we have had some very cold days up here in Aberdeen (as low as 2 C), and so far the codes have not come back up again.

Fingers crossed that's the issue resolved for now! If the same issue comes up again, I will look into upgrading the part and the ECU.

I’ve never seen this, great informative post and thanks for reporting back. This will be helpful to our other members.

UPDATE:

I think I managed to solve the problem.

I figured out that the issue does indeed recur at low temperatures (below 7 degrees C). On more mild days, there are no issues. On any day where the temperature falls below 7C, I would get the two codes and the engine would go into limp mode. After warming the engine for a little while (5 - 10 mins), and then clearing the code, everything would be back to normal and no codes again until the next cold morning. I purchased the car in April 2021, so it has never really gotten that cold since I have owned the car. It is possible that the old owner had the same problem before me, but since it was summer/spring when I bought the car, the issue never came up and he did bother mentioning it either.

So the codes I mentioned above, P0181 - Fuel Temperature Sensor Circuit Range/Performance & P2199 - Intake Air Temperature Sensor 1/2 Correlation. Code P0181 for this car apparently is not to do with the Fuel Temperature Sensor, but to do with the MAP. As far as I understand, a temperature reading is first taken using the MAF sensor, and a second temperature reading is taken using the MAP sensor. The MAP sensor temperature reading is taken by some clever calculations by the ECU using pressure and air density.
Anyways, the temperature is correlated using these two sensors.

I had first tried to solve the issue by cleaning the MAF sensor, but that didn't solve the issue. I then tried to clean the MAP sensor which also didn't solve the issue (it was quite dirty, so I started to suspect it for the cause of the issue).

Then after looking around the internet for other people who may have had identical issues, I found a Polish forum where someone mentioned the same exact symptoms I had. They mentioned that this is a known issue by Honda and has a service bulletin for it.

Service bulletin for this (number: SO-03-003-00)

The OEM number of the revised part: 37830-RZ0-G02

Bulletin below:
Symptom

1. The MIL light illuminates, some customers may experience the vehicle going into limp home mode.
2. The following DTC may be found.
• DTC P2199 - Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor ½ Incorrect Voltage Correlation.
• DTC P0181 - Fuel Temperature / Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor Incorrect Voltage Correlation

Cause
Natural moisture in the EGR system adversely affects the silver metal of the temperature sensing element which is within the MAP sensor. This affects the sensors voltage, current and resistance capabilities.
This then illuminates the MIL light, stores the DTC's and causes the vehicle to go into limp home mode.

Repair Method
1. Clear DTC.
2. Rewrite the engine ECM using software version HDS 3.013.023 May 2014 or later.
3. Replace MAP Sensor

The official fix is to replace the MAP sensor with a new version of the MAP sensor, however, that would require the ECU to be updated as well. Since i didnt have access to any ECU updating equipment and a main dealer will likely cost around £100 or more, I opted to just replace the MAP sensor with one in better condition. The sensor elecment in my old MAP sensor appeared to be corroded/rusted somewhat and cleaning it didnt remove the corrosion/rust. I found a used one of eBay what i managed to get for £10. The one i purchased looked to be in much better condition, and at this point I wasnt sure that it would fix the issue, hence I went for a cheaper used one rather than spending £50+ for a new one.

It has been about a week and we have had some very cold days up here in Aberdeen (as low as 2 C), and so far the codes have not come back up again.

Fingers crossed that's the issue resolved for now! If the same issue comes up again, I will look into upgrading the part and the ECU.

Great post, I wonder if anyone has a link to service bulletins for the 7th generation since the MAP/MAF system is similar. Many websites recommend spraying with the right type of cleaner to restore performance, but not to clear faults/limp mode.