What's new

Feul consumption

Skybluebert

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda civic
What sort of mpg do people get from 2L accord saloons around doing town and duel carriageway? Do they like to drink the petrol?

From what I understand there's not much difference in economy between the 2.0 and the 2.4.

The 2.4 is low-mid 20s for town driving, low-mid 30s for cruising. Of course, many things such as driving style, weather, tyre pressure, fuel type and payload will change your MPG. I've gotten 450 miles from a tank of my 2.4 with mixed motorway and town. Pretty good really.

na, its not like that at all dude.

my 2.4 is more economical and a billion times better than my last car, a 1.8 duratec mondeo.

Mines a 2.0 petrol auto. Does 29 mpg around town, 40+ on the motorway. Manual should be 5% better.

Depends how many miles you drive. Anything up to about 15k miles a year, I would go petrol as it won't break as often as the diesel, or have DPF or DMF clutch problems. Also cheaper to buy.

I've got diesel type s and must say in modern world mpg is rubbish and down on my 7th gen saloon.
Average 38 as per my fuel app and this is on a 14 mile run to work in mainly 50mph zone no traffic.
On a run it does 60+ this is 70mph on motorway. If you give it some beans it drops dramatically.

impne said:
I've got diesel type s and must say in modern world mpg is rubbish and down on my 7th gen saloon.
Average 38 as per my fuel app and this is on a 14 mile run to work in mainly 50mph zone no traffic.
On a run it does 60+ this is 70mph on motorway. If you give it some beans it drops dramatically.
which fuel app do you use? is it any good?

r3dd3v1l said:
which fuel app do you use? is it any good?
I use a free Fuel Log app on the android. Basic and very good, keeps track of MPG and fuel costs and works out the cost per mile. Highly recommend.

You can't beat the old fashioned brim to brim calc. My idtec auto gets a solid 38mpg time after time, except if I use supermarket fuel when it only gets 34mpg, and i rarely use the latter due to it being a bit dirty. Interestingly i used Jet's diesel the other day at 130p and there was no loss in mpg. My egt has been faulty (ie. engine management light on) for a while now but has not affected anything)

Makes you wonder why you guys bother with the hassle of diesel.

My 2.0 iVtec petrol auto averages 32mpg, and thats doing fairly short urban journeys 8 miles each way. On the motorway it gets up to and above 40mpg.

A manual gearbox 2.0 would probably be at least 5% better?

Plus it was at least a £1k cheaper to buy, as nobody wanted it. People are diesel brainwashed.

Your getting better fuel consumption for your petrol than they advertise, from memory, and if my memory is correct you're doing well. I recall never really being interested in the petrol one purely based on mpg. However, I didn't really want diesel (hassle, smell, noise, running costs other than fuel) and also knew the idtec was not great for mpg however mine was a v high spec Cat D on low miles and just couldn't be ignored. I've given a write up on it on this forum elsewhere. People rate this engine highly. I can't rate an engine that is do sensitive to where one fills up that highly! Good car though.

App I use is road trip

Seems quite good

Fuel wise I only use diesel v power

richsprint said:
Makes you wonder why you guys bother with the hassle of diesel.

My 2.0 iVtec petrol auto averages 32mpg, and thats doing fairly short urban journeys 8 miles each way. On the motorway it gets up to and above 40mpg.

A manual gearbox 2.0 would probably be at least 5% better?

Plus it was at least a £1k cheaper to buy, as nobody wanted it. People are diesel brainwashed.
you gain more benefits if you do a lot of miles like I do. for people that only do a few miles then yer its not worth it.

For what's its worth, my old CL7 2l iVtec, with the auto box, used to do 26mpg round town....could get as high as 37 on a long motorway run if I stuck religiously to 70. My new 8th gen iDtec is AVERAGING 44 under the same conditions. If you're doing lots of short trips, look for a petrol version.....if you want or need to chew up mile after mile of motorway, go diesel. It's a general trait that diesels use less fuel ONCE THEYRE UP TO TEMPERATURE. However, they do take longer to warn up than petrol engines, and until they're hot they tend to be a bit thirsty. Switching from the petrol auto to the manual diesel is saving me about £30 a week on my commute. Hope that helps.

Jason N said:
For what's its worth, my old CL7 2l iVtec, with the auto box, used to do 26mpg round town....could get as high as 37 on a long motorway run if I stuck religiously to 70. My new 8th gen iDtec is AVERAGING 44 under the same conditions. If you're doing lots of short trips, look for a petrol version.....if you want or need to chew up mile after mile of motorway, go diesel. It's a general trait that diesels use less fuel ONCE THEYRE UP TO TEMPERATURE. However, they do take longer to warn up than petrol engines, and until they're hot they tend to be a bit thirsty. Switching from the petrol auto to the manual diesel is saving me about £30 a week on my commute. Hope that helps.

couldnt agree more.

im saving nearly 40 quid a week in fuel, going from petrol to diesel, yes my previos car was performance so cant really compare to this but even when i drove like granny in the type it is still could match the diesel boat.

Ive only had my car for half a tank of fuel so too early to conclude anything, however early indications are 34 average. Boot it = low 20s. As an experiment today I kept a steady 60 on the motorway and 50mph on the A roads during my commute and it returned and indicated 47mpg over the 55mile round trip, by concentrating on not braking or accelerating. I track my milage / brim the tank so will be interested to see how this pans out. My commute is only 27miles each way so no big issue to keep the speed down for the 10 miles of motorway driving.
If I can get mid 40s long term for my commute ill be very happy.