What's new

First crunch

t sport 1978

Members
Reaction score
Car
EX 2.4 8th Gen
Well, a dark day indeed. On top of ###dont get round swear filter!!! monks#### rain all day long, this morning my Accord was given a cosmetic surgery courtesy of an articulated lorry (Wickes).

Mr Polish driver didnt use his mirrors nor his deaf ears (horn blasting the whole time) before he moved off and strays into my lane and crush me in the process, many MANY thanks.

Driver side mirror ripped away (not cleanly at that), multiple tram lines of scrapes all the way from bumper side to front wing side. Depressed panels all along the way.

I want to cry... :(

Very sorry to hear about this des, I hopemhe stopped and admitted liability? have you got any pictures?

oh!

dude!

Where in London was it? I hope it was only pride and bodywork that was damaged!!!!????

Very sorry to hear about this des, I hopemhe stopped and admitted liability? have you got any pictures?

I have lots of pictures, but cant get onto flickr right now and not sure i have the motivation to upload them :(

He apologised to me at the end, there was 2 PCSOs there at the time but they did not see it happening... I pointed out to them that at least they witnessed the man apologising to me, as far as i am concerned that is his admission to guilt.

My insurance sort of confirms that this should be a no brainer Non-Fault, still you know my premium is going to take a hit.

Worst thing is that they cannot use Honda to repair as they are not an "official garage", even though the car is 59 reg and they are HONDA after all.

All i am hoping for is that the repair is done right...

oh!

dude!

Where in London was it? I hope it was only pride and bodywork that was damaged!!!!????

I fear it is more than superficial damage... Mate, I am heating up just typing this now...

It happened in Purley in south London.

Gutted for you pal :(

Gutted to hear this mate.

For the repair side of things, I can personally recommend Hammond of Hendon. I have been meaning to get a thread up here regarding our recent incident. To cut a long story short, this family run business will look after you and their work is spot on. Their details are here:

http://www.hammondofhendon.com/

Speak to either Helen or her husband Cos. Both are really down to earth and Cos is known to be a perfectionist, so you will be in good hands. Mention myself and Selina sent you if you choose to go to them. At the very least, I suggest you pop over to the workshop to see their work, you will be impressed.

I think that within reason you have a say in where the car is repaired...especially when it looks like it is going in your favour.

Gutted to hear this mate.

For the repair side of things, I can personally recommend Hammond of Hendon. I have been meaning to get a thread up here regarding our recent incident. To cut a long story short, this family run business will look after you and their work is spot on. Their details are here:

http://www.hammondofhendon.com/

Speak to either Helen or her husband Cos. Both are really down to earth and Cos is known to be a perfectionist, so you will be in good hands. Mention myself and Selina sent you if you choose to go to them. At the very least, I suggest you pop over to the workshop to see their work, you will be impressed.

Thanks for that but hendon is too far as I live right at the pit of the m25, also insurance dictates the choice of repairers.

I think that within reason you have a say in where the car is repaired...especially when it looks like it is going in your favour.

I've already tried, they said Honda is not on their list. Might try a 'may I speak to your supervisor' tomorrow and press home how new the car is.

It might void your corrosion and paint warranty - which is a point of leverage with the IC. I doubt your mechanical warranties can legally be affected.

You should ask for a written ***urance from your insurance company and their repairer that any repairs will not affect your manufacturer' warranties if they are to refuse you the use of Honda approved repairers.

If you are fully comp, and the accident is not your fault, this should not be too much to ask.

Of course, you don't want them to write the car off - otherwise you will be more out of pocket.

It might void your corrosion and paint warranty - which is a point of leverage with the IC. I doubt your mechanical warranties can legally be affected.

You should ask for a written ***urance from your insurance company and their repairer that any repairs will not affect your manufacturer' warranties if they are to refuse you the use of Honda approved repairers.

If you are fully comp, and the accident is not your fault, this should not be too much to ask.

Of course, you don't want them to write the car off - otherwise you will be more out of pocket.

Thanks Dan, this does need more thoughts.

I would certainly not take your IC's word for it when it comes to your legal rights and outcomes. Te whole system is designed to fleece you off money rather than protect your rights.

When they say 'official garage' are they suggesting:

a: Honda dealerships are not officially approved as able to repair accident damaged cars to the required standard, or
b: Honda dealerships do not appear on the insurers list of approved repairers, i.e. the list of repairers the insurance company has a service contract with to complete the repairs?

I would suspect it's the latter which would tie the insurance company into having your car repaired at one of the accident repair franchises.

Most insurance companies though, if you insist that you do not want your car to go to a specific repairer due to workmanship concerns, will let you take it somewhere else ***uming you can get a comparable quote for the work. My main concern here would be the labour charges of a main dealer compared to an accident repair franchise.

Bit of a heads up on the situation

ask your insurance company for a list of there accidend repair centers

then phone your local honda garages and see if there approved by them or which places are approved

as i know for a fact two mills honda send all there stuff to a local repair center by where i live.

Hope this is of some help as then your warrenty will still be in tact

Who is your insurer?

You can take your car to any garage you like, only thing is they( insurance) will not guarantee a hire car and no warranty. But the garage you use will provide a warranty on the repair and may give you a courtesy car.

Bear in mind Honda will only contract your repair to a third party anyway, so its best to take it to a independant you know and trust or by recommendation.
By using a independant you have alot more control over the repairs, whereas a network repairer is strictly limited, will have to take photos of everything, document every part/detail and send it to the in-house engineers for approval first.

You can have your car repaired anywhere you like within reason. Problem is the insurance company has to mitigate the losses of the other party. If Honda or another repairer is significantly more expensive they are not doing this.
Although I wouldn't trust a word yours or any other insurance company says.
Out of curiosity who is your Insurance company (please don't say Admiral)?

Gutted for you Des.

If you can, insist with your insurers that you demand a Honda dealership to repair as the car is under warranty and that using a non-Honda outlet for repairs will void aspects of your warranty.

Fingers crossed for you buddy. :)

sorry to hear this mate im gutted for you.

Thanks for all your comments :)

I spoke to my local Honda service manager and he told me that there was a legal case from which it was made precedent that the customer is allowed to choose where to take their car for repairs.

I then spoke to my insurance (More Than) and adviced them that i had spoken to a 'legal representative' that I am insisting that my car is fixed by Honda to avoid warranty problems and guaranteed worksmanship, the woman at the end of the phone said to the effects of 'no problem sir'. That was a FAR CRY to what they were like yesterday when they gave me the whole HONDA IS NOT ON OUR OFFICIAL REPAIRER LIST excuse.

The service manager also spoke to them on my behalf and they have already secured an ***essor for my car at double quick time, I am very very glad that i spoke to them.

Whilst I understand Honda just wants my business, and that they may indeed go to a third party, I just feel ***ured that it is done behind the Honda name. He was telling me that the people that More Than was going to send my car to are actually in trouble as a business, that they are known locally to be cheapo's and does bad jobs. He quoted a story that a recent botchup costed the insurance double cost to put right what they did, certainly not someone I would have chosen if that were all true.

Also he ***ures me that this repair will involve the use of official Honda coded paints from Japan, not a mix and match that most others would use and that there is a machine that they will be using to ensure all paints matches. :rolleyes:

Certainly he sold me the whole thing and put my mind at ease, and at the end of the day that is ALL I WANT after all the bl00dy stress.

Anyway, they have my car now and i have myself a BMW 120d for a courtesy car from More Than. Which by the way is the ROUGHEST diesel i have driven, it's amazing how gruff it is for an 11 reg car! Even worst than my old Auris... thats saying something.

Many thanks for all your advice and concerns, much appreciated.

You lot are a nice bunch :lol:

Good result Des and even better that it will be repaired by Honda and by a bunch of back street muppets at the behest of More Than. :D

Great news!

Nice one, speaking from experience of an accident about 3.5 yrs ago. The insurance company like to pass you off to these third party companies now when it's a 'not at fault' and they deal with the whole thing (hire car/repairs etc). Except in our case they decided it was a write off. We phoned them up and said it darn well wasn't after a visit to our local independent repairer and a Honda dealership.

They argued about it and said it was going to cost £1500 to repair. We got fed up, went back to the insurance company rather than the third party with a quote from the local Honda dealership saying they'd fix it up for £750.
Insurance company took the claim back from the 3rd party lot and we had it done at the Honda dealers.

Nice job in the end and we got to keep our luvly car - swapped just recently for a 7th gen :lol:

Honda dealership wasn't on their 'approved list' either but with a quote faxed through to them they let us get on with it and didn't write the car off. Anyway, as you've now noticed, don't let insurance companies fob you off with 'approved repair centres' list if you're not happy with the repairer they suggest.

Des its awful when this happens a few years ago my old car was parked up on an industrial estate,a wagon reversing out of a yard put its trailer right through my
tailgate it was repaired by the haulage companies own repairer who did a great job,but it is the stress and time sorting it that gets to you,hope it all turns out well for
you.

Good result Des and even better that it will be repaired by Honda and by a bunch of back street muppets at the behest of More Than. :D

That really sums it up for me, I just want it done right and as far as i am concerned, Honda should do it right.

Nice one, speaking from experience of an accident about 3.5 yrs ago. The insurance company like to pass you off to these third party companies now when it's a 'not at fault' and they deal with the whole thing (hire car/repairs etc). Except in our case they decided it was a write off. We phoned them up and said it darn well wasn't after a visit to our local independent repairer and a Honda dealership.

They argued about it and said it was going to cost £1500 to repair. We got fed up, went back to the insurance company rather than the third party with a quote from the local Honda dealership saying they'd fix it up for £750.
Insurance company took the claim back from the 3rd party lot and we had it done at the Honda dealers.

Nice job in the end and we got to keep our luvly car - swapped just recently for a 7th gen :lol:

Honda dealership wasn't on their 'approved list' either but with a quote faxed through to them they let us get on with it and didn't write the car off. Anyway, as you've now noticed, don't let insurance companies fob you off with 'approved repair centres' list if you're not happy with the repairer they suggest.

Very shady this whole insurance world, these IC really doesn't have anything to moan about as 99% of the time it is a win-win for them.

The really wrong thing here is that I know my premium will take a hit even though my no claims are protected, it just will and there is nothing i can do about it. And it probably continue to do so for the next few years, otherwise the 'Have you claimed in the last 5 years regardless of fault?' question is pointless? The whole system is disgusting for the truly non fault victims.

Des its awful when this happens a few years ago my old car was parked up on an industrial estate,a wagon reversing out of a yard put its trailer right through my
tailgate it was repaired by the haulage companies own repairer who did a great job,but it is the stress and time sorting it that gets to you,hope it all turns out well for
you.

Very glad to hear that it was sorted out, but yeah the knowing that you car has been through that damage and the stress/inconvenience of it all is a whole different matter.

Des, from past experience, when I made a claim that was not my fault it did not affect my renewal premium at all. The reason I know is that I was hit within a couple of weeks before my renewal. A few days before I had been on a comparison site and got a few quotes. Luckily the person who hit me had the same insurance company and it was settled within days (by settled I mean he had accepted liability). I contacted the insurance company which I had the cheaper quote from and they said that they would have to do a requote with the non fault claim on and it came back the same! Result.

So I dont think it will necessarily put your insurance up unless you have another non-fault claim. I think that all insurance companies are doing here is looking out for serial scammers. The types who jump on their brakes to deliberately cause a claim and then claim whiplash, or flash their lights to let you out and then drive into you. So fingers crossed you will be fine. I suppose the only thing is that insurance is going up at the moment anyway, so your renewal may go down. PS, I would try Chris Knott insurance brokers who is advertised on here as he is very helpful.

Very shady this whole insurance world, these IC really doesn't have anything to moan about as 99% of the time it is a win-win for them.

The really wrong thing here is that I know my premium will take a hit even though my no claims are protected, it just will and there is nothing i can do about it. And it probably continue to do so for the next few years, otherwise the 'Have you claimed in the last 5 years regardless of fault?' question is pointless? The whole system is disgusting for the truly non fault victims.

I know what you mean, I re-insured my car a few months back and as soon as you mention you've had an accident even though its not your fault the price rockets. My last accident, the reason I now have the accord, was less than a year ago and a non fault claim, but it's put my premium up over £200 on comparison websites. As soon as you tick yes to 'any accidents in the last 5 years?' fault or not all the cheap quotes just disappear. Gutting!