What's new

First impression of a Accord newbie - too much road noise from tyres! (Any suggestions?)

ship69

Members
Reaction score
Car
'08 i-DTEC EX man 5D
Hi Guys

Here are my first impressions of my new (to me) Honda Accord:

As you may have seen in another thread, after all my research, I finally bought a 7th Gen Honda Accord. (!)

Fwiw, here is the car:
http://dealerservices.autotrader.co.uk/72363/used-cars.htm
>>>
•Year: 2007
•Fuel Type: Diesel
•Transmission: Manual
•Body Type: Estate
•Colour: SILVER
•Mileage: 88000 miles
•Price: £7,999
>>>

My first impressions are that the car is a bit sluggish (esp compared to my c.150+ BHP Golf !). The engine sounds rather strange - a lot of high freqency notes - a bit like a sewing machine !
But it revs quite well for a diesel (almost like a petrol!) but in any case I shall probably get it re-mapped/chipped so I'm no too worried about power & acceleration. Economy also seems good to me: On a long trip at a constant 80MPH I think I am getting about 50-51MPG (with no appreciable atmospheric wind). I think also It handles pretty well in the corners (esp for an estate).

But my biggest disappointnent is that there is far too much road noise of tyres on the tarmac (except when driving on softer tarmac when it suddenly goes nice and quiet!)
Fwiw, the tyre on my car are Michelin Primacy HP (tubeless radial) Model: 205/55 R16 91V.

Have any of you guys tried using either quieter tyres or sound proofing materials (e.g. dynamat or similar)?

Cheers

J

Congratulations.. after all the searching, I'm really glad you ended up buying one mate!

Can't compare it to a Golf 150 TDI, those things are rapid even before a remap.. Road noise is probably down to tyres, I think the eagle type tread patterns tend to be more noisy than the others.. what type of tread pattern is it?

Congrats on the purchase
Accord is fussy about tyres, one thing annoys me most in a car is road noise.

I too found tyres to be critical in noise reduction, teh michelins mine had when it came were horrible, I put Nankang NS2s on (which I've used for years and are excellent) and it was much better, I briefly tried some Khumo's and they were worse than the Nankangs in both noise and grip. Strangly my Conti Winter Contacts are quite good for noise which with their very blocky structure seems counter intuitive.

Ian

Michelin tyres are noisy due to the hard compound used in their construction
I have a set of hankooks and find them alot quieter than mich's

Best to let them wear down and then change brands when u renew

I found the diesel noise a bit strange at first, it's as if there's a normal turbo whistle but then a whirry noise at the same time which is a lower pitch. All normal though apparently.

one word, tyres, my continentals were quiet, my P7's wore loud as hell, my current Uniroyal rain sports are much quieter

For better or worse my (noisy) tyres seems to be rather new with many (noisy) miles left in them!

Have any of you guys tried using sound proofing materials (e.g. rubber sheeting from Dynamat or similar)?

J

Have been running Pzero Rossos for ages, however just put some Bridgestone S001s on the front of mine....haven't covered much mileage on them yet but I am very pleased with them so far...