What's new

First impressions and possible issues

marculos2

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord 2.4
So I bought a 2.4 Executive day before yesterday and am pretty happy with the car though always nervous I have bought a lemon. It was cheap had all the service stamps but no documentation which did worry me, but though worth the risk, looks like it has been looked after and the searches all came back good and recently flew through MOT with no advisories,

Engine sounds sweet as, oil looks in nice condition and has been regularly serviced though last service was at 97k, now has 107 k so will treat it to an oil and filter soon.

The tyres are pants some eco Michelins and do not inspire confidence so once they need replacing will get some decent tyres or upgrade to some 17in alloys. The steering feels light and doesn't seem to give great feedback not sure if that is normal.

The engine seems jerky under 3k revs in 1st and 2nd, not sure if this is normal either. Gearchange is notchy, especially 1st and 2nd and had a few issues getting it to go in reverse smoothly, its done a 107k probably still on original clutch so guess this might need doing though I haven't got the funds to do this for a while. Might be an idea to change the gearbox oil. The gearchange is not as nice as my seat I hope there is nothing wrong with the gearbox.

Everything appears to work ok which I expected except the sat nav. Weirdly it doesnt work when you first start driving the car but starts working after 10-15 mins. From the sounds it make I reckon the laser is on its way out, disk looks fine to me. I dont understand though why it stops and then starts working, surely it should considently not work, unless the DVD unit needs to warm up.

My initial plans are to service it , change gearbox oil and fix sat nav. Longer term upgrade to 17" civic alloys, remap and maybe lower and upgrade suspension. I am thinking a good budget solution is Eibach springs with Blistein B4 shocks..we will see.

Appreciate your thoughts especially on gearbox.

Thanks

My 7th Gen (diesel) gear change improved noticeably when I changed the gearbox oil (had done 60K at the time). It's a relatively quick and inexpensive place to start.

Clutch pedal is hard ? Or soft? Where you bought yours?

Wysłane z mojego XT1039 przy użyciu Tapatalka

I have a 2004 executive too however mine is a diesel not sure about yours; must admit no issues with gearbox change its very short and precise and the engine is smooth throughout the range. Maybe a good service in particular not forgetting fuel and air filters and gearbox oil change

I am new to the car as well but I get the impression that they will run and run but only if regularly serviced

The gearbox is notchy and selecting reverse does crunch sometimes. I have just ordered some gearbox oil and will replace the clutch fluid too. Chances are its on its original clutch and will need doing at some point. I will see if changing the fluids makes any difference. It was bought privately so no comeback if it does need a new clutch. Biting point is quite low on pedal.

marculos2 said:
Biting point is quite low on pedal.
that is definitely a new clutch required, and is the reason for the notchy gear-change

the clutch release forks wear on these cars which is why the biting point moves down rather than up

freddofrog said:
that is definitely a new clutch required, and is the reason for the notchy gear-change

the clutch release forks wear on these cars which is why the biting point moves down rather than up
Got same problem on my 2006 Type S. What I noticed, all Accords close to 90k need new clutch :/ About engine, check spark plugs. Mayby some one use the cheaper ones insisted what Honda recommends.

Not all Accords, mine is on 130k with the original clutch and apart from the very annoying clicking from the pedal its fine. Depends on how you and the previous owners drive it i guess.

My type s is very close to 143k on the original clutch and yes I too have the same irritating squeaky clutch pedal. I'm not going to fork out several hundred quid just to get the master clutch cylinder changed....

Mines at 71k and the bite point is VERY low and on occasion the car will groan when pulling away from a standstill. Not sure if it's a worn clutch or some other component like slave cylinder.

That's a worn pressure plate