What's new

First Impressions

mullis126

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 i-CDTI
Well i picked up my 2005 Accord Tourer I CDTI on Wednesday and thought i'd post some first impressions of the car.

The car seems to be in good condition: the interior is immaculate and the leather is very good condition though it would benefit from some conditioning/restoration stuff to keep it supple. I immediately found the seats very comfortable and supportive - the bolsters are a little constrictive which is fine for me but i would imagine is a nuisance for 'larger' drivers. The car is an 'Exec' so has the premium sound system fitted - compared to other sound systems i have had in previous cars i'd say it's satisfactory. It's certainly loud enough but you don't seem to get a lot of bass from the subwoofer. I think i'll do a bit of investigation to check it's functioning properly, but overall the sound quality is fine. I think i have been spoiled with sound systems in previous years as the old Volvo S60 and Mondeo TDCI both had excellent stereos fitted as standard. Saying that, the Accord's stereo doesn't detract from the car overall. The interior is solid and and the controls are well laid out and the driver's seat is a nice place to be - this is important to me as i do a lot of long journeys.

The engine impressed me with its smoothness. It's unusual driving a diesel which picks up at such low revs and doesn't have the wall other diesels do above 3000 rpm. The engine also doesn't clatter any where as much as my old Mondeo used to though the noise of the turbo is more intrusive and is clearly audible even when at motorway speeds with cruise control on. Is this a normal charcteristic of the engine?

Having read some of the comments on here regarding it comparability to a petrol engine, i have to disagree. It is quieter than other 4 cylinder diesel i have driven, but is definitely a diesel! (Unless my engine is a duffer!)

The gearchange is nice and solid too though i'll have to get used to not having a 6th gear any more. Luckily the reverse parking sensor warns me before i do anything silly! I don't think the lack of a 6th gear detracts from the car too much. The gearing is fairly long and at 70mph it's only running 100rpm higher than my old Mondeo used in 6th gear.

The one area which is disappointing is the economy. I did 375 miles at a constant 75 mph with no traffic to slow down for and barely managed 40 mpg. In comparison my Mondeo would have done 53-54 mpg under the same conditions and even my Volvo T5, a car renowned for its thirst, would have done 33-34 mpg. Reading other member's comments, this seems at odds with what i should be achieving and i was expecting around 48 mpg under these conditions. I have booked the car into Honda Kendal for a diagnostic test later this week when i get home, as my first suspicion regarding fuel consumption would always be the MAF sensor. There's no evidence of any leaks or any other faults but it will be interesting to see what they come up with... I'll be investigating the MAF and EGR valve myself as i reckon they are both due a good clean but seeing as i have literally just taken ownership of the car, i'll let the supplying garage take the lead for now.

Any thoughts or hints much appreciated.

Interesting appraisal there. I have the facelift engine with a 6th gear, and would probably agree after driving Faddy's pre-facelift daloo, that It's nice but not essential.

Your economy is a little low, but the difference between 75 and 70 is significant.

I am very pleased with my PSS, but haven't heard the mundaneo's.

As I have nothing but diesel mercs and Audis around me I have plenty to compare with and the Honda is far far smoother.

Give it some time and maybe a full TA approved service and see what happens to your economy.

No your correct thats not that good.In my old car a facelift at 75 mph i would average 55mpg.
In my new car a 2.4 petrol if i keep to 70 i average 39 mpg ;)

Things to check is all is serviced properly and the correct grade of oil.Also tyre pressures are correct and brakes are not binding as all this can add to poor MPG

Geoff,

As per the PM, your economy sounds about right at that speed and in a tourer. I would argue that the 6th gear in the facelift makes all the difference. The sweet spot in these cars is around 67mph for good economy whilst maintaining a fairly acceptable speed.

fahad why was mine so good.
the remap did improve the mph greatly though and also i was taken the avg from the trip computer.

I have to agree the sound system in the Mondeo's was very good. I had the ST with sat nav (not Sony) and you could crank it up with no distortion and excellent sound. The Accords is good but the Mondeo's was better.

Brett, economy on tourer and saloons is quite different and yours had a 6th gear to make it even better. Also I would never trust the average from the trip computer, just calculate it manually.

that is true about saloons and tourers.economy is different but other thing,what people expecting from 2.2 diesel.
I am happy with 45 mpg because its a big engine.Maybe people should look around before they buy a car.
If I remember correct toyota 2.2 taking much more fuel :)

I did a trip to Gloucester and back sitcking to speed limits and using CC and easily topped 50mpg. The key is not to go over 70mph, or 2500 revs. Ideally keep it under 2000,

that is true about saloons and tourers.economy is different but other thing,what people expecting from 2.2 diesel.
I am happy with 45 mpg because its a big engine.Maybe people should look around before they buy a car.
If I remember correct toyota 2.2 taking much more fuel :)

I used to have the 2.2 D4D Avensis. It was slightly (~1-3mpg) more economic than the Accord 2.2. (both high 40s)

Interesting feedback regarding economy. I had the oil changed before I picked the car up and tires were checked as well so I think I can rule those out. I'm doing the same journey again on Thursday and will try it at 70 to see how much of a difference that makes.

Appreciate a 2.2 isn't going to return the same economy as the more ubiquitious 2 and 1.9 litre diesels out there but friends with a Volvo v70 d5 and BMW 730 are getting better mpg under the same conditions. Yes the BMW 3 litre diesel is one of the best diesel engines around at the moment and that could be expected but the Volvo is bigger, heavier and this particular example doesn't have a 6 speed gearbox either and has much the same gearing as the accord.

It'll be interesting to see what difference that 5mph makes!

I did a trip to Gloucester and back sitcking to speed limits and using CC and easily topped 50mpg. The key is not to go over 70mph, or 2500 revs. Ideally keep it under 2000,

Yes it does make a difference however I cant get 50mpg out of mine :( mid to high 40's is possible but its only a 50mile motorway trip rest of the time is round town driving.