Fitting of ignition switch - Bolton - Wigan area

grentuu

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord SE Executive
I need to replace the ignition switch

Accord W plate 2.0i Executive ES Auto

Symptoms - cuts out for no reason. I have noticed play in the ignition switch for a bit, this has resulted now in it cutting out intermittently.

When it cuts out, If I hold the key slightly forward the engine stays running but if I let go sometimes it stays on sometimes it cuts out again. If I keep it turned forward the engine stays on. Obviosuly this makes steering difficult! Also when you turn the key to pos 3 sometimes the dash lights up, sometimes it doesn't. If I turn it a smidgeon further all comes on.

Just spoke to Gordons Honda, who are quoting mental money for part and fitting. I have seen the'how to' but would prefer someone with a little bit more techie know how to do it.

I don't know which fitting it is (Batman shape or other)

Anyone recommend anyone local? I live in Westhoughton near Bolton

any other symptoms? this doesnt look ike ignition switch for me...

No.

When it cuts out, I can start it straight away. Most times it runs but on the odd occasion it cuts out, but as stated, if I keep the key turned slight forward, the engine keeps running

Chances are it is, but you can do it yourself, take off the cowl, unscrew it from the back of the ignition, disconnect it from the loom, then reverse the procedure. I had to do one on a Civic coupe, and I did have to change the a small connector over too, but hopefully the Accord is a bit less complicated.

Just found these.... check with Honda to see if there's a recall outstanding, if it is then it's a free repair

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/13387-the-dreaded-ignition-switch/

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/13571-6th-gen-ignition-switch-replacement-guide/

Thank-you guys. Took the plunge, bought the part from Honda and fitted this afternoon.

Noticed the dash lights were brighter and theres no play anymore. Drives great.

Thanks for the push Mr Honda :)

Glad to hear its sorted, they are common problem on these, usually caused by having lots of things on your keys which would put pressure on the switch, so if you have a keyset weighing a tonne keep the car keys seperate!

I would have thought that given there was an initial recall on the switch, that there was an issue with the switch to begin with, having too many keys is not the issue. The terminals wear out over time, it's just that they were probably wearing too quick to begin with.
As posted in one of the links, If you're any good at soldering, you could repair the switch yourself.

I've read having heavy keyset wears them out quicker, apparently they put a lot of weight and strain on the switch, thats why it becomes loose.