What's new

Fitting Sat Nav from newer model into old model

Wayno

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.0i Vetec
Will the Standard Sat Nav from the newer accords with the A/C controls fit my 2004 Accord 2.0?
I've seen a few of these for sale at quite reasonable prices.
If they do fit are they supposed to come with a GPS ariel and other stuff or is it just the head unit? Also do they need programming in to become working or is just plug & play?

On my Vectra they needed Tech2 to get them working but they came with a GPS ariel and something else plus the code to be programmed in to the new car.

I'm gonna guess that it would be doable in principle. But do bare in mind that the Sat Nav unit also talks to the ECU and other parts of the car in relation to its secret menu options and stuff in that supposed secret part of the system (hold down the three most left buttons under the screen for about 3 second and it pops up). I also once tried up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, Start but it didn't do anything ;) .

Anyway, if the system is looking to communicate with things that aren't there or whatever, this could cause a conflict perhaps...? I know the face-lifted Accord has can-bus as well as various other features in side the cabin that the older version didn't have. I can't imagine the Sat Nav unit would need these things to function, but if it is expecting them to be there simply for display purposes and they're not, it may get stroppy and not function properly???

But right now I'm just totally guessing, stabbing in the dark, I don't actually know. If you can look at a pin-out for the connectors for the unit pre and post, that should answer your question. If they're identical, then I reckon you're good to go, if they're different, you need to find out how, what and why before you try doing any modifications.

Thanks Steve, think I may be better just buying an aftermarket double din that was made for the Accord that has the A/C controls on it.