What's new

Fitting smaller wheels

CTJackal

Reaction score
Car
2.4 Exec Auto Tourer
Hi everyone,

I'm getting to be in need of some new tyres for my 2003 2.4 Tourer and as the wheels are due for a refurb, I thought I'd take the opportunity to downsize from the 17" Pentas to 16" wheels and tyres. I like the look of the 17" wheels, but not the tramlining or the harsh ride.

I've looked at a few websites to find 16" wheels within my budget and found some of the DOTZ brand which I like. However there is a warning on the website about fitting them to cars with 17" OEM wheels. It says "not if OE is minimum 17 inch".

Does anyone have experience of doing this? I didn't think there would be any difference in the brakes, suspension, etc. and the rolling circumference would be about the same. Your thoughts please?

Carlos.

The 7th gen is comes with 16" as standard, but many, if not the majority would have been bought with one of 17" optional extras. So I can't really see there being a problem. But see what the others say.

Thanks Cliff and Steve,

Just wondering if anyone has done it the other way round compared to Cliff's upsizing? i.e. 17" as original, 16" replacements. Anyone?

Cheers,

Carlos

Discs & hubs are the same as cliff will witness.
Not sure if the steering rack is affected - not due to the diameter, but because of the wider track of 225s.
I'm certain they'll fit, but IMO they do look small in both diameter & width filling the arches once your used to seeing 17". Tread carefully or you'll look like a low rider on tiny rims!

My 2.4 type s on a 04 plate runs 16" wheels with 205 / 55 / tyres....

Paul

Mine runs fine on standard 16s. They do look a bit like skateboard wheels, particularly on the standard suspension, but I don't have the cash to upgrade. Oh, and my wife doesn't see the point but what's new there?

Matt - you should have learned by now.

They are an essential safety upgrade.

Ask her what VSA stands for. When you looks flummoxed you simply say. "Leave these things to me my love".

Oh, and hope see doesn't clobber you for being patronising ;)

Mine runs fine on standard 16s. They do look a bit like skateboard wheels, particularly on the standard suspension, but I don't have the cash to upgrade. Oh, and my wife doesn't see the point but what's new there?

What condition are they in? My Epsilons are pretty tatty and the corrosion of the lacker means they leak about 4-5 PSI a month. I talk this up no end and tell her it'll work out about the same cost to get new alloys instead of getting the epsilons refurbished (I'm not keen on the Epsilons and have been waiting for an excuse to buy new wheels). So if yours are at all tatty, tell her they're leaking and will need to be replaced sooner or later anyway ;) .

Matt - you should have learned by now.

They are an essential safety upgrade.

Ask her what VSA stands for. When you looks flummoxed you simply say. "Leave these things to me my love".

Oh, and hope see doesn't clobber you for being patronising ;)

And then get ready to duck sharpish eh Dan?

:)

Hi everyone,

I'm getting to be in need of some new tyres for my 2003 2.4 Tourer and as the wheels are due for a refurb, I thought I'd take the opportunity to downsize from the 17" Pentas to 16" wheels and tyres. I like the look of the 17" wheels, but not the tramlining or the harsh ride.

I've looked at a few websites to find 16" wheels within my budget and found some of the DOTZ brand which I like. However there is a warning on the website about fitting them to cars with 17" OEM wheels. It says "not if OE is minimum 17 inch".

Does anyone have experience of doing this? I didn't think there would be any difference in the brakes, suspension, etc. and the rolling circumference would be about the same. Your thoughts please?

Carlos.

Have you tried a different brand of tyre? I have experienced this kind of problem....some tyre brands / tread patterns make the car more twitchy than others....might want to have a look at the various tyre threads that are about. :)