What's new

Flashing glow plugs

rhinogolf

Members
Reaction score
Car
7th&8th gen tourers
Hi Guys after some help after doing 300 miles since had new timing chain put on my night driver came back this morning told me car went into limp home mode and got flashing glow plug on dash taken car out myself its out of limp home mode but glow plug sign still flashing guessing i need new fuel filter,is the car still safe to drive untill can get new fuel filter fitted. Or could it be something more serious

Sounds like FF mate try this as its the cheapest option to eliminate

Give HH a ring,

As Brett has mention it is probably the fuel filter, however you have just had the timing chain done so worth just letting them know.

It also depends on whether they needed to disconnect the fuel lines and whether there is still a bit of air in the system when doing the timing chain, as I seem to recall when Beefy posted some pics up a while ago, it was an engine out jobby.

FF sounds like your best bet but Carl could be right in the sense that you may have some air in the system.

Keep us posted

Bit of a coincidence that it's just happened after the timing chain job. I'd agree with Carl, possibly a slight issue following reassembly..

Had 3minor codes regarding glowplug sign they took it of it came on in early hrs when temp was -9 13hrs later has come back again in early hrs temp -7 so maybe the temp playing apart in it

well a full day without limp home mode have noticed car pulling lovely in 1st to 3rd gear when in 4th and need a bit of power there does not seem to be anything underfoot feels like foot goes to floor but no power

How cold is it where you are, heard about a few drivers in Scotland recently where their Diesel was freezing as the low temperature additive was not added?

Had the glow plug flashing on me today too :( i done the turning off power 3times with 30sec intervals inbetween, but didnt work,in worry and being so focused on the flashing glow plug,i didnt realise i was low on fuel too :eek: so,i drove sencibly to bp filled up with bp ultimate and after 30 seconds the light went out, :) we have had minus temps here so i think that and the low fuel didnt help....what additives can i add to the fuel to stop it freezing..

Had the glow plug flashing on me today too :( i done the turning off power 3times with 30sec intervals inbetween, but didnt work,in worry and being so focused on the flashing glow plug,i didnt realise i was low on fuel too :eek: so,i drove sencibly to bp filled up with bp ultimate and after 30 seconds the light went out, :) we have had minus temps here so i think that and the low fuel didnt help....what additives can i add to the fuel to stop it freezing..
The garages should already have additive in there bro but glad or sorted mate :)

Glad sorted think whats happening is the diesel at -9.5 starts turning into a gel which is to thick to go through the filter.

I'm not sure if the garages selling different diesel during the winter here, but they do in Europe. I always use some additives to make sure the car will work in any temperature. I would recommend this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STP-DIESEL-TREATMENT-ANTIGEL-250ML-IMPROVES-COLD-START-engine-additive-/180799018178?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a187614c2
BTW It was -14 yesterday morning and I have got no problems with mine.

-14 :lol: you gotta love all this global warming.

They do add something to it during winter it was in one of my truck magazines also says its why you get slightly worse mpg in winter as well.

brett said:
I no it was - 25 in Germany last week :lol:
And -29 in Poland when I went there 2 weeks ago, but saturday morning -14 in Peterborough mate.

Have been meaning to update this for last couple of weeks but wanted to wait until i had hit the 150k mark Fahad invited me round to is house to remove the flashing glow plug sign and read the codes on the 19th of Feb which were removed and code was p1237=low boost pressure i had changed fuel filter before going round but not had dash sign removed. I have now done another 6k and no problem as returned so this problem was down to the fuel filter. Me and the wife were made really welcome when went round so i would like to say a big thank you to Fahad and Family.
I have now had my stage 1 remap and EGR delete on my car for over 30k now.

Bloody heck you've covered 30k miles already? And I thought I was the taxi driver :lol:

Glad it's running well. It's a shame you ended up listening to bad advice on other forums and got yourself all worried over nothing.

****** heck you've covered 30k miles already? And I thought I was the taxi driver :lol:

Glad it's running well. It's a shame you ended up listening to bad advice on other forums and got yourself all worried over nothing.
cant even count was early hours when posted though had remap put on with 128k so done 22k since. Youre right about getting myself worked up though