What's new

Flushing Automatic gearbox

Nasty1984

Members
Reaction score
Car
CL7
Hello, does anyone have tips or a DIY for flushing the automatic gearbox? My car follows the maintenance schedule with a Honda dealer, but i don't know if they flush the entire system or just pour some out and fill it up again.

Had mine recently done by the dealer and they confirmed it was flushed through, whether this is to be believed or not is another thing!! I think they are supposed to drain the fluid, then fill back up, run the car for a few miles and repeat the procedure at least twice, so if your dealer is trust worthy then you should be ok , otherwise you could do it yourself but make sure you use the correct Honda fluid as the gearboxes are sensitive to using the proper stuff.
Cheers Pete

old cruiser said:
Had mine recently done by the dealer and they confirmed it was flushed through, whether this is to be believed or not is another thing!! I think they are supposed to drain the fluid, then fill back up, run the car for a few miles and repeat the procedure at least twice, so if your dealer is trust worthy then you should be ok , otherwise you could do it yourself but make sure you use the correct Honda fluid as the gearboxes are sensitive to using the proper stuff.
Cheers Pete
How much did they charge you?

It's not a true flush of the gearbox. The whole box holds about 7 litres and all that you do is replace the fluid in the bottom of the box. .There's lots of fluid still in the torque converter, valves, pipes, etc, that is not changed when a typical drain and re-fill is done (about 3 liters).

However, this is not normally and issue and the new geabox fluid makes a big different to the system anyway.

I did drain refil on my previous cl7 accord twice and haven't felt any improvement in shifting. Then I saw a dy on YouTube how to do a flush and I did, the shifting was very very smud specialy the downshifting from 2 to 1. You will need about 10 liters

Hi All,

I own a iCTDI 06 Manual transmission. Want to get MTF changed but bought only 3 litre is that an issue? Also how much is a reasonable labour cost to change it in a garage. I can't DIY as i don't have proper tools.
Also do i need 10 litre to drain/flush the system properly?

Your kind help will be appreciated

The manual takes 2.2L so you will be fine. It only took me about half an hour to do on my drive so it shouldn't take a garage very long.