What's new

flyweel trouble

speedthing

Members
Reaction score
Car
TYPE S Tourer
Hiya chaps ive been away for quite a while the honda has been preforming with out fault till today went down to B&Q all fine got what i wanted from there got back in the car started it up now ive got this heavy knocking vibration through the clutch pedal seems to be getting worse and some times it affects the operation of the clutch pedal do these flywheels give up just like that ive had no hint of a problem also anyone know of a good replacement clutch and flywheel with out breaking the bank.
cheers Alun

Hiya chaps ive been away for quite a while the honda has been preforming with out fault till today went down to B&Q all fine got what i wanted from there got back in the car started it up now ive got this heavy knocking vibration through the clutch pedal seems to be getting worse and some times it affects the operation of the clutch pedal do these flywheels give up just like that ive had no hint of a problem also anyone know of a good replacement clutch and flywheel with out breaking the bank.
cheers Alun
It does sound like the dual mass flywheel (DMF) is packing up.

I think a CG Motorsports clutch (several options), possibly using a single mass flywheel (SMF) would be a good option, especially if you maybe want to have further remaps?

You could find the CG Motorsports website, or see this Civinfo sub-forum where there is a lot of fairly unbiased discussion and reports from members who are running these clutches... http://www.civinfo.com/forum/cg-motorsport/ but be aware that judder is often reported and I was disappointed to recently discover that the standard Honda pressure plate (clutch cover) is still used by CG - but they are bringing out their own stronger version this summer.

Or, if a CG clutch doesn't float your boat, the latest LUK/Honda clutch is a stronger version (version 325) than earlier ones.

I think ill go for the LUK clutch its the flywheel im more bothered about dont fancy the solid one because of the judder and they can corse other problems ive got a stage 1 tune and egr delete from Fahad and im more than happy with it so ill be sticking with that. whats the price on a DMF.
chees Al

Yep i would say as well its your DMF shot and will need replacing with a clutch kit.If you go to the dealers your probably looking at around £1500 all in.

Lucky im able to do this sort of thing my self i think LUK do a flywheel for these as well so looks like ill be taking that route its just these things always happen when youve got no cash which is most of the time LOL.
cheers Alun

Give our affiliated dealer a call HH for a price.We also have a discount code for members pm me if you want it.

Cheers i can get trade on parts but if that clutch is cheaper ill give that a go.
atb Al

Is that clutch an up rated one.
Its the standard clutch but im sure there were some amendments to the ordinal one.

Its the standard clutch but im sure there were some amendments to the ordinal one.
Yep, standard clutch had several revisions to the part numbers... 305 was the original, then 315 and finally the 325 - the 325 is reckoned to be just about good enough!

An LUK DMF from EuroCarParts costs £346.50 using the promo code "PARTS25".

It's only the CG paddle clutches that judder... the kevlar versions are apparently OK. Personally, I would be reluctant to fit a standard clutch, particularly with a stage 1 remap. Once the uprated CG covers are available (and I've read a few positive reports!) I'm going for that and an SMF, but not sure what clutch plate. Then maybe a Faddy Stage 2. But I guess you need to do something bit sooner!

Sorry to hear this Al - I know you're a mechanic yourself so just find the parts that you think are right for you and go for it.

Speak to Linda at CG and tell her I sent you - they have quite a few options now for these cars and are reasonably priced. Also, don't buy a DMF until you've removed the clutch to inspect it for wear and play.

Remember Honda say between 6mm-36mm is acceptable. It does sound like a knackered DMF from what you've described but it could also be a warped friction disc or knackered pressure plate. They do funny things when they heat up and collapse.

Got a complete LUK clutch kit and flywheel for £430 all in boss let me change it in works time so its nearly back together didnt get the oil in time so ill finish it off tomorrow flywheel defo had it had no dampening effect it just clangs to a dead stop but spoze its not bad for a gen Honda clutch and flywheel that have done 140k.

Sounds like a good result mate, and that's a great price!

Honda clutches aren't that expensive actually. I bought a new 3 piece clutch kit for the 2.0 petrol FRV last weekend and it was £220 inc vat from Hepworth Honda in Huddersfield.

I will need to work out what the hell to get for mine as when my clutch went last time, I ended up with a clutch & DMF being changed. Since then, had the stage 1 remap done and slipping again now. They aren't very strong these Honda clutches. Wondering what to replace it with??

CG Motorsport clutch Ben, either the dual friction or 8 paddle version. Give them a call and have a chat with them.