What's new

Flywheel done , advice please ?

PatrikW

Reaction score
Car
Accord 07 2.2 ICTDI
Hey guys, long story short..

I got Accord 07 2.2 ICTDI bought 2 years ago at 90k miles and got 180+k now. I use this awesome baby for work , doing deliveries. I just got broken flywheel and mechanic said it needs replaced, the prices are huge, I ***ume I need complete clutch kit , flywheel and so on. Do you guys have any recommendation on brand etc. ? And do you think it is worth it to fix? I do love the car, I wanted to keep it a long time, for its age and milage it is top notch.

I appreciate any imputs thank you.

I had a broken flywheel on my previous old 2.2 Diesel Tourer. Technically if the clutch is good condition you could reuse it but how long will it last? It's a big labour job so most people replace both.

I ordered a LUK clutch kit (which I think is OEM) and a Honda flywheel from Coxmotor Parts for around £600 mark delivered.

If you plan on keeping the car for a long time it's worth it.

Ot of interest, what causes the flywheel (I a ssume it is one of the dual mass types) to fail ?

Age or 'neglect' ?

Can they be welded shut ?

(Btw I have no dog in the fight, her clutch is still holding out but the cooling system might beat it).

Ot of interest, what causes the flywheel (I a ssume it is one of the dual mass types) to fail ?

Age or 'neglect' ?

Can they be welded shut ?

(Btw I have no dog in the fight, her clutch is still holding out but the cooling system might beat it).

Age can perish the rubbers inside, abuse can break the springs inside or glaze the mating surface with the clutch, causing poor engagement.
I guess by "weld shut" you mean convert it to a single mass flywheel. Not sure about that :p

Welding it shut will cause any imbalances (which were previously masked by the internal springs) to be significantly exacerbated.. and likely cause severe vibration in the drivetrain, which has the real potential to travel through and damage the transmission and engine. Basically don’t do it, it’s a stupid idea.

Welding it shut will cause any imbalances (which were previously masked by the internal springs) to be significantly exacerbated.. and likely cause severe vibration in the drivetrain, which has the real potential to travel through and damage the transmission and engine. Basically don’t do it, it’s a stupid idea.

Plenty of cars have existed before dual mass was invented, the Honda powerplant is known to be proven.

If the vehicle is high mileage and the replacement stuff is more than the car's value then I would consider since anything else could go AWOL immediately after forking out.

Yes agreed, but a single mass flywheel (which is balanced at the point of manufacturing) is not the same as a worn dual mass that has been welded shut. If you’re going to go to the trouble of removing the gearbox to get to the flywheel, you may aswell change the part (even with a used working part, with a new clutch) instead of bodging it.

Remanufacturing a DMF does not seem to be a thing even though the rubbers and springs don't look impossible to replace. Sure, contact surfaces might need to be honed, but with so many cars having DMFs, it is something I thought would have sprung up as a service.

taking a dual mass flywheel out of a car that was designed to have one in is a terrible idea. we've done it a few time for customers (mainly taxi drivers) against our advice and all they do is complain about vibrations and clutch harshness afterwards.