What's new

flywheel

SIlverCloud

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2I-CTDI
Hey guys long time no see:) My flywheel started making noises so i believe soon will need replacing as im not going to pay £500 to any HOnda service to do my flywheel.So would be nice to get advices from you guys who did it by themselfs.It doesnt look very difficult few bolts there and there -_- . Ok questions:

Is that gonna be enaught to support and get down gearbox?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Sealey-150kg-Floor-Transmission-Gearbox-Jack-Saddle-Lift-Car-Van-TJ150E-/391357894554?hash=item5b1ebf8f9a:g:OL0AAOSwX~dWjSHD

Do i need any special tools to replace it?

Any step by step guides? or atleast something that looks like my gearbox remove?

I know that i can replace it to single mass flywheel whitch is not so expensive and doesnt break down so often but i cant find it on ebay can anyone help me out with this?

Any other advices?

Thanks guys.Please dont give me links to any service as im intresting on doing such a things by myself. :)

p.s flywheel are very expensive so im not going to buy new one..... <_<

Car:2005 honda accord cdti 5 speed

and i never replaced clutch or removed gearbox before so no experiance on that :D

it's a big job to do

you will have to remove the subframe, but to do that you need to get the exhaust out of the way, and disconnect the steering rack, then support the engine and gearbox while you get the subframe out (not forgetting the driveshafts out as well)

so, once you've got the exhaust out of the way, removed the driveshafts, disconnected the steering rack, supported the engine, removed the subframe, you can then remove the gearbox and drag it out from underneath the car

then when you fit the new clutch, if you decide to use the DMF you will need a special pre-tensioner tool, so SMF will make the job a tad cheaper and easier LOL

I saw some post that it need only lower subframe it doesnt need to remove it.Also exhaust can stay in place.Just correct me if im wrong.

Where can i get SMF? I saw on ebay only dual mass and on another site it cost £700.My budget for this is around £200 :) + for the job £140 if i will decide to let it do at garage.

Good luck with that budget mate and if you are doing it yourself best get some help preferably experienced, it's a good 7 hours plus job and that's using the right gear, ramp, transmission jacks etc and also the knowledge as to,what you are doing

^ is that link a joke ?

1. it's a CRV
2. the pictures are as much use a chocolate teapot
3. there are huge gaps in the description
4. removal of the gearbox is not actually mentioned

freddofrog said:
^ is that link a joke ?

1. it's a CRV
2. the pictures are as much use a chocolate teapot
3. there are huge gaps in the description
4. removal of the gearbox is not actually mentioned
Dont get mad just link might be usefull for someone:)

I had my car clutch and DMF changed today....

Been given a very reasonable quote from best garages one can find so far... I don't know where you like in UK. If you live near london or in herts than Dream honda is best for repairs like this.... Phil the owner is very experienced in Honda's and tracks racing cars... He quoted £350 + VAT labour for both DMF and Clutch change inc oil changes etc....

I sourced parts which costed me £489 for both.... It snot worth it giving it a go yourself as DMF needs a loading tool which is must for DMF correct function otherwise all the effort goes in drain...

http://www.dream-automotive.com/#!contact/c1erv

Give it a try by calling Phil and see where it takes you....

All done spend £340 for all parts and job.Parts costed me £200(new) for the job £140 . :) Dont know why you guys spend £1000 for that when you can get away with £340 :huh: :huh:

SIlverCloud said:
All done spend £340 for all parts and job.Parts costed me £200(new) for the job £140 . :) Dont know why you guys spend £1000 for that when you can get away with £340 :huh: :huh:
Glad you got your flywheel sorted. As for why people might pay more for things, I guess it's just a matter of what's available to you locally at the time, how urgently you need to the work done and various other factors. I know some guys like to stick with original Honda parts as opposed to using blue print replicas. Of course no one's going to willingly hand over money without justifiable reasons.

As mentioned by Steve its a personal choice, i can't risk doing a job that i am not comfortable with. its worth spending more for me and get warranty on parts and labour, and will ensure that i go back when things are not done to my accord....

Few pictures of old clutch and DMF, please share your observations, i have marked the play in DMF with marked arrows... is it out of acceptable range?

http://s76.photobucket.com/user/wahabishtiaq/library/