What's new

Front door speakers

ciderpig

Members
Reaction score
Car
8th EX 2.4 manual
The front passenger door speaker is sounding distorted and having read around this forum it seems to be a not uncommon problem. My car is out of warranty so I'm on my own to sort this out. Honda have quoted £81 for a single driver and £130 fitted, which is a lot for an OEM speaker, I reckon they're £20 drivers at best.

My local independent car audio place said they'd charge £40 per side to fit any speakers. I'd like to know if anyone has replaced the OEM drivers in both front doors with aftermarket ones? Which speakers did you go for and have they integrated well with all the other speakers in the car?

Cheers

They use a non standard connector and the speaker size is different to standard as well and requires a adapter kit. I read somewhere that the speakers are 2 ohm as well. A few people say that the speakers are panasonic and build quality is utter crap.... so much for premium quality.

I've seen posts elsewhere by people saying they installed these speakers:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Accord-Pioneer-front-speakers-speaker-kit-2006-on/111385096914?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D23775%26meid%3D8055237621523200687%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D10165%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D171178014215
To remove door cards see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynX1q3q15oE
(acura TSX, quite similar to Honda Accord)

I had same problem with my drivers door so I got a set of speakers an adapters from ebay

SONY XS-GT1728F & CT25HD05 HONDA ACCORD 2008 - 2012 6.5" 165MM FRONT DOOR DIRECT
UPGRADE SPEAKER & ADAPTORS KIT INCLUDING SCREWS & LEADS

They work great I just replaced the drivers door speaker as that was the only one that was giving trouble I cut the plastic end of the car wires
I then connected the two red wires together as one and the same as the the two grey ones they connected the new speaker leads to them an it worked great

There was a TSB on faulty speakers affecting 2008-2009 modals so honda might replace these free of charge or offer a good will jester

Thank you very much for all the information. My car is having the windscreen sides refitted tomorrow so will ask them about it when I collect on Saturday. If they won't do anything (I didn't buy the car from Honda) then I'll consider getting some new drivers.

I used my old speakers as adapters by removing the cones. I also removed the speaker connector and soldered it to the new speakers so I could hook them up to original wiring.

I have focal speakers in doors and MBquart tweeters.

I installed a couple of big audio system in to my cars 15+ years ago (subs, amps head units etc) and ever had a problem fitting / taking things apart, with the exception of door skins. Having watched the video above I could do this myself, however I'm nervous of breaking / scratching something along the way. If Honda won't sort me out I may have to build up the courage and DIY it as it sound s***.

I've also been looking at new alloys, I really need to ditch the standard 17s for something more exciting and the induction kit in Brett's signature is also tempting me (can imaging it sounds ace at 5K + RPM) Can't afford to do everything in one go unfortunately.

The door skins are quite hardy , ive had mine on and off about 6 times now and still no rattles , save yourself £40

Ive ordered a pair of the sony speakers liked to above. I have had a poke around with the door skins, dare I say it, it should be easy. Ill report back next weekend.
Thanks for all the help.

You can take the door card off and back on in less than 5 mins.

From memory:

Just undo the screws. There's one hidden under a little rubber matt below window button.Another couple behind the plastic panel that's directly behind the door handle.

Prise off the plastic panel to the side of the door handle.EX has seat postion selector so needs to be carefully unplugged

Prise up the window switch from the bottom. I used a flat screw driver.

Once screws are out start lifting the door card from the bottom corners to release the plastic studs.

lift door card up carefully to unhook it and disconnect door light wire.

Using a flat screw driver you can pop the door handle out.

I think that's it.

Thanks, I did most of that yesterday on the passenger door, decided against actually lifting it completely off as A. it looked like rain and B. the speakers won't be here 'till some point next week. For a modern car it is very easy.

On closer inspection the ones in my rear doors are buggered as well. Once I've got the fronts out and replaced I'll see if I can do what you did and use the old speaker surround as an adapter will save me a few more quid if I can.

It Was really easy to do. I heated the old speakers up on the gas hob to soften the adhesive and pull the cone off. The cones do melt easy! Then you will want to remove the plastic supports for the cone. A dremmel would be handy right now but all I had was a scalpel so I heated it up till it glowed red and sliced through the plastic like butter. I then used the same technique to remove the speaker connector which was then soldered to the new speakers. I had some draft excluder tape I used to create a nice seal round the speakers.

Success!

I fitted the new speakers this morning. The sound quality is WAY better than before, very clear with good bass. I've just ordered another pair to replace the ones in the back doors. They go loud without any distortion, just like a premium audio system should.

The standard speakers are really poor, the magnet is so small!

I did as Jason noted above and soldered the old speaker's connector to the new Sony ones so I can use the car's existing wiring. The door panels came off and went back on easily as well.

I had to mount them this way round as there car's speaker cable had very little slack.

Very pleased, thank you to everyone for all the advice. I'll update again when the back doors are done next week.

Im glad its sorted.

with the speaker connector I left the original braded wires on and solded those so it would give me some extra length when fitting them.

Yes I did think about doing that, in fact the ebay connectors arrived this morning they have 3 inches of cable. Well, it's all done now and odds are i'll never see them again (touch wood)
Cheers

The standard door speakers in mine were all replaced under the warrenty recall. Now they have been replaced I can't fault the sound quality. The magnet size is apparently (according to a mate who designs audio systems) some new neodymium magnet design that negates the need for big magnets. His word not mine!

Scott a said:
The standard door speakers in mine were all replaced under the warrenty recall. Now they have been replaced I can't fault the sound quality. The magnet size is apparently (according to a mate who designs audio systems) some new neodymium magnet design that negates the need for big magnets. His word not mine!
Glad you got yours sorted out. No doubt when working properly they sound fine.

Honda quoted me £170 a pair! Neodymium magnets or not they're simply not worth it, they've got plastic cages ffs. You can buy an amazing pair of speakers for that money.

ciderpig said:
Glad you got yours sorted out. No doubt when working properly they sound fine.

Honda quoted me £170 a pair! Neodymium magnets or not they're simply not worth it, they've got plastic cages ffs. You can buy an amazing pair of speakers for that money.
Agreed I wouldn't pay £170 for them!

I did have a fair old battle with honda to get them done under the warranty!

I fitted the 2nd pair of Sony's into the back doors this evening. Other then the door skins being very stubborn to release it was dead easy. Both done within 1 hour including soldering the old speakers connector. I'm really impressed with the sound quality in the car now. It sounds so clear and powerful. Well worth doing if you're not happy with your existing speakers.

This is one of the speakers I removed from the back doors you can see 2 parts of the speaker's surround are coming away from the body.