What's new

Front parking sensors random / intermittent

Walkerci

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord
Hi all
Having some issues with my front parking sensors recently. They randomly go off when at slow speeds. Like in traffic or pulling off drive. It shows up front centre flashes an bleeps a few times then goes off then May or may not come on again etc.
I'd like so say it's more likely to do it when pointing down hill but that might be my imagination or coincidence.
I noticed it first when pulling off my drive which is a downward slope and it seemed to pick up the road or curb opposite and it seems to go off every time in this situation. But then goes off as I pull away.

When I'm in a traffic queue it's like it's over sensitive picking up the car in from from a greater distance than it should randomly.

Can't even tell which of the 2 front centre sensor it is and when parking the seem to both work fine.

Anybody have any ideas? Or solutions?
Is it possible to remove them without removing bumper? Any tricks?

If it's a faulty unit is it worth getting one of the cheap £30 remanufactured replacements from ebay or dealer only which seems an eye watering high price :-0

The car is 6 years old but I only bought it 6 months ago from a dealer and took out the extended warranty is it likely to cover them?

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris this is a common fault and normally a good clean of the sensors is all that is required

Hi thanks for reply. When you say a clean do you mean the front round bit or the whole body. I have given front bits a clean but doesn't seem to do anything but the body I haven't.

Thanks Chris

Walkerci said:
Hi thanks for reply. When you say a clean do you mean the front round bit or the whole body. I have given front bits a clean but doesn't seem to do anything but the body I haven't.

Thanks Chris
Just the fronts Chris.
Also try turning the sensors off on the dash and leave of over night.
Mine plays up sometimes in the rain

Try the warranty first. You will have to replace with the same type, they are a Honda part.

It is a bumper off job to change them. Front bumper is just clipped and screwed on, comes off in 20 mins.

Thanks for the advice Brett ( happens in dry as well as rain by the way) We'll I gave em a good wipe slightly less sensitive I think but might be my imagination so prob still the same really :) So phoned dealer, there gonna look on Friday for me and go from there. I'll See if it's covered under warranty If not it's gonna have to wait a while if it's at dealer prices for a few months Probably wait until it gives up altogether.:)
I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks all

Chris

Chris if you brought your car from main dealer second hand it will come with a 12 warranty.
This should be no questions asked

Well it's been looked at honda - stone chips and not covered.:-(
Gonna leave it for while as it's only intermittent.

But

Came home thought cleaning them again might help. Gave them another wipe and a bit of a pick whoops paint flaked off around the chips :-( touched them in, seem to still work ok though. Just don't look as good. Hopefully it doesn't make them worse :-0

Hi Guys,

This is a bit late after the last post - but:

2 of my front sensors are chipped and the local dealer says rain has got in and corroded them - so they both need to be replaced - he's quoted £644.92 to do the job ... yes SIX HUNDRED and FOURTY QUID!

I asked for the part numbers and it seems to me that the part number is for 8 sensors - so ordering 2 x part number = 16 sensors ... in my view

To make my point, look on Ebay for 39680-TL0-G01ZV and you'll find them at £26 each ... so that's 2 for a shade over FIFTY QUID.... OK they are not Cobolt blue and I'll need to fit them ... but what's happening with Honda prices ... there must be a mistake that gives my local dealer no option ....

Has anyone actually paid £244.55 for 1 front sensor??

So ... my question: Does anyone know what it takes to remove the front bumper (58 plate 2009 Accord 2.0 I-vtec ES 5dr auto and replace the 2 centre sensors - please??

Cheers Guys ...

Taking the bumper off is a 20 min job and very easy indeed

If it's like the 7th gen, I wouldn't say 20 mins, but it isn't difficult. The main issue is that the plastic trim clips are different lengths, so as you remove each one, make sure you know where it goes back.

Also, if it's like the 7th gen, there will be a couple of (almost) hidden screws, and a couple of annoying bolts underneath (along with more trim clips).

When lifting it off, and when putting it back, an ***istant is useful.

Hi Fella

Mine did the same after a bumper respray after a bump! Anyway a good clean with some G4/ tecut etc cured that, but need to take most of the paint off. One of the sensors is all black so may have been changed before I got the car.

Regards

John

Hi, I original posted the message and thought it was dead now well when I went back Lin summer time I spoke to someone different and he was ordering me one under warranty I am still waiting, they are apparently on back order again when I asked a few weeks ago. If they hadn't have said they would do it then I would have got them of ebay and done myself as they quoted a few hundred for one. Although I'm not convinced it's the paint chips. I have weeks when they don't go off at all. Others when they always go off. Let me know how you get on taking bumper off and I might just do it myself, just a bit worried as I have ADAS.

Thanks Guys ... I've got used to looking in front of me when driving forwards (Hi John!) ... so perhaps I can manage without sensors until the sun shines enough to get under the front.

Chris:- perhaps the sensors are on back-order because the dealers are selling them 8 at a time!

My local dealer is talking to Honda about the issue - I'll keep you all posted ....

Cheers

There's been loads of people with parking sensor issues on the 8th gen. It's quite common to be honest. I'm sure someone on here removed them and removed the silicone in the back of the sensor. Cleaned it and re sealed it and it sorted the problem. The control box for the sensors can be reset apparently but I think disconnecting the battery may do it too.

I put a new battery on recently. They didn't falsly go off for about a week then started again
Hopefully they'll get one in soon unless as you say there ordering 8 at a time

No dealer news yet ...but thanks for the battery and clean-up tips ... I'll give them a go at the weekend

Still waiting to hear if anyone has coughed up £244 for a sensor ...