What's new

Front wheel bearing

stellamon

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2i-DTEC
Started getting a humming, drone type sound above 40mph from the front right wheel. I think it's the wheel bearing failing, so going to buy one of these:

Not much more than just the bearing itself but means I don't have to remove the old bearing from the old hub.

Has anyone else done this here? Or has anyone had it done at a garage and how much was it?

The front bearing swap looks like a professional job to me so I've always thought if I ever need to do this I'll buy a second hand knuckle off eBay and fit that instead.

Take the knuckle off and find a local garage to press the new one in is another option.

You sure it’s not a tyre noise? Try swapping wheels front to back

The front bearing swap looks like a professional job to me so I've always thought if I ever need to do this I'll buy a second hand knuckle off eBay and fit that instead.

Thought about that but there'd be no guarantee of the condition of a used one.
Take the knuckle off and find a local garage to press the new one in is another option.

Have done that before and may still fall back on it if I run into problems.
You sure it’s not a tyre noise? Try swapping wheels front to back

No not sure now after reading up on it. Jacked the front wheels up yesterday to check for signs but there was no noise when spinning the wheels and no movement when pulling on them.
I will swap the wheels around tomorrow and see if anything changes.

Thanks to all

As F6HAD says, it could well be tyre noise, but detecting where it emanates from can be difficult. I had the same issue thinking the drone came from the front offside wheel. The Honda dealer thought the same and changed the wheel bearing under warranty. It made no difference. Eventually with someone sitting in the rear footwell it was traced to the rear tyres (Yokohamas). The tyres were replaced and the noise disappeared.

I'll be a happy man if it's just tyres, fingers crossed!

I am interested in this as well. was considering fitting my own bearing. I have seen bearing install kits ranging in quality, from about £60 on amazon to £150 for a sealey item, allowing you to do the job on the car, without removing the hub and using a press.

Has anyone else done this?

I think Honda charge £320 under their fixed price repair scheme, not sure about independent garages Considering the bearing is £150 from honda (£130 from Cox).

I remember reading somewhere that Honda had specced a ceramic or some other very low friction bearing to reduce fuel usage.
It could be marketing spiel but I would be curious as to what bearing is in the hub,.