What's new

Fuel Consumption 2.4 petrol tourer

Original Nutta

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer 2.4
Recently purchased a 2.4 tourer, I was getting 80 miles for every £20 of fuel I filled. This was the case for around a month and a half, now I'm lucky to get just about 60 miles per £20 of fuel. Nothing has changed I take the same route fill same fuel, fuel prices still same. Only thing that has happened is my ABS is not working and need a new speed sensor could this be the cause ?

Could be a few things. Stuck caliper?

Do all wheel spin freely?

Im pretty sure all wheels spin fine, it passed it's MOT few days ago and had new rear discs & pads fitted. How can I test to see if caliper is stuck or?

Check your tyre pressures too. Tyre pressures wouldn't normally be checked on an MOT unless they seemed really flat, but they only need to be a few PSI down to make a noticeable difference in MPG, especially this time of year.

I can get 400 miles out of a tank on a run 340-350 on average mixed 300 round town
The more you get used to the lovely motor the less fuel you will use !! :))

There's always a fuel consumption thread around this time of year. It's true the weather, the temperature, the rain, will factor in to things. But as Darren says, once you're used to the engine's sweet spots and where you get away with relying on the low rev torque, you'll be able to squeeze plenty of miles considering its size. I once squeezed 450.

Original Nutta said:
What do you mean by cooler air
I'm not an expert so I'm going to guess what could happen!
My understanding is that cooler air is denser, this means that more fuel may be added by the computer so that the mixture stays within its correct margins, I'm not sure these rules apply at wide open throttle though.

I'm not sure that it would make a huge difference tbh, stevearcade's post may be for informative and as said lots of factors could influence it.

^ yep colder air is more dense and so one gets more power (true whether engine has a carb or injection), but this only means less mpg if the extra power is being used i.e. on cruise control at a given speed on the motorway, air temperature shouldn't make any difference to mpg from combustion process itself

However, colder air in the tyres is also more dense, so the tyre pressures are less, and lower tyre pressure increases the rolling resistance. Not sure how to work out the correlation between tyre temperature and tyre pressure, it will certainly depend on the volume of air in the tyre. But there will certainly be an overall correlation between tyre temperature and tyre pressure, and between tyre pressure and mpg.

My 2.4 type S manual tourer is constantly averaging at least 27mpg combined.... Regularly using the climate control and I have a pair of Thule cycle carriers fitted to the roof of the car. Must admit a well serviced engine and decent tyres at the correct psi make a big difference. Just fitted 4 new Michelin ps3s to the car so I am curious if the mpg will get any better...

Original Nutta said:
Recently purchased a 2.4 tourer, I was getting 80 miles for every £20 of fuel I filled. This was the case for around a month and a half, now I'm lucky to get just about 60 miles per £20 of fuel. Nothing has changed I take the same route fill same fuel, fuel prices still same. Only thing that has happened is my ABS is not working and need a new speed sensor could this be the cause ?
That is roughly 20 mpg if you get 60 miles to £20, I get similar in my auto if I just drive around town, more on a longer run.

What kind of journeys do you do?

Do you always get fuel from the same petrol station (Shell or supermarket)?

As others have said the temperature is also dropping, which won't help.

When it's cold, remember you're blasting the heated windows, mirrors and the hot air in the cabin. You'll more often than not be running with headlights on and when cold the engine is going to consume more fuel anyway. These are all small things but they add up.

All that being said, Petrol is more dense when cold so you are probably getting marginally more for your money at the pump.

In my Manual 2.4 I never got more than 350 on my commute, 50mph Country lanes and some town driving and I am seeing a slight drop off in the last couple of weeks as the weather turns.

On a long run I had 475 once but the needle on the fuel gauge was lower than the actual graphics on the dashboard :blush: I put 63 litres in when I filled it back up and the last few miles to the service station were pretty stressful.

Hi,

since the car is older, could be also, that the pistons rubber O rings inside the calliper are worn. This actually can make the difference in milleage. Simply the car allways brakes a bit, once you put your foot on the brake pedal. When you put your foot off the brake pedal, the piston inside the calliper doesn't reach it's default position and stays a bit out, thus effectively breaking a bit all the time.
Had the same problem on my 2.4 tourer. Damned rubber allways wears out :(

Check you air filter (how dirty is), spark plugs, buy on Halfords (or anywhere) injector cleaner and do valve adjustments.
Should help

First tank my new to me 2003 2.4 manual tourer has returned 32.2 mpg (95 Ron). Calculated using Fuelly. Pretty pleased with that but have filled up with super for the second tank to see how the cost per mile compares.