What's new

Fuel efficiency

Marmalade

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda accord
Evening all, have been at a crossroads lately as my 2001 1.8 sport is a touch thirsty and have seriously considered selling it for something smaller. However, having put the feelers out it just doesn't seem worth it so I'm looking for ways to make it more fuel efficient

It will be getting a good service ASAP and I try to drag around as little baggage as possible but is there any other way I can improve the mpg.

I understanding remapping is an option with diesels but is this a viable option for the vtec?

I also vaguely recollect seeing a thread on here about removing the air con gubbins thus saving weight etc etc. Is that a fevered imagining or is it an option?

All suggestions, serious and otherwise gratefully received?

Evening all, have been at a crossroads lately as my 2001 1.8 sport is a touch thirsty and have seriously considered selling it for something smaller. However, having put the feelers out it just doesn't seem worth it so I'm looking for ways to make it more fuel efficient

It will be getting a good service ASAP and I try to drag around as little baggage as possible but is there any other way I can improve the mpg.

I understanding remapping is an option with diesels but is this a viable option for the vtec?

I also vaguely recollect seeing a thread on here about removing the air con gubbins thus saving weight etc etc. Is that a fevered imagining or is it an option?

All suggestions, serious and otherwise gratefully received?
Removing the spare wheel or replacing it with a space-saver might be a good start. Though really at the very best you will get about 35MPG if you drive like an undertaker. So if you desire alot more than this, really your best bet is to look elsewhere as Accord's seem to be naturally thursty.

Hi!

Unfortunately, I have to agree with the above and say that these cars are naturally thirsty so if you really can't live with it, you are best selling it. On a run, I can get 40mpg from my 2.0 and 41mpg from my 2.2, but that only happens with the cruise control on at 70mph and with no traffic. On average, I'm getting 30-35mpg.

All I can suggest is make sure its running well and that it's serviced well (Valve Clearances, Fuel Filter, Plugs, Air Filter, Oil & Filter etc all affect economy) and I would strongly suggest get the EGR plate and valve off as this will most likely be blocked, and cleaning it out (Don't forget the manifold ports!) will not only improve your economy but it also improves throttle response.

As for remapping, it's not possible on the 1.8 as the ECU's cannot be altered. You could stick a different Honda ECU in there (P38 Integra for example) but that will then have to have a base map done which is ££££.

Oh and btw, don't bother removing A/C and all that stuff as it's not worth the hassle for little or no gain, not to mention you would be doing nothing but hurt the (albeit little remaining!) resale value.

Yep agree with the above. The very best I got was 37.5mpg driving around 60-65mph.

The only items I can think of, bar generally servicing to improve economy are:

Add 5-8psi to the tyre pressures.
Don't use the air con.
Change gear early.
Take any unnecessary weight out of the car, including not filling up the tank.
Avoid fitting larger & wider wheels & tyres.
Keep the car clean & polished for better aero.

Marmalade, for your info 38mpg is possible, driving real handy, with junk in the car, a full tank and only 30psi in the tyres.

Thats crazy, mine dones around 32-34mpg round town and a 240 mile round trip with quite a bit of traffic then crusin 85-90mph i averaged 40-43mpg
Mines the 1.8 sport F18B2

ive fully serviced her, cleaned throttle body, cleaned egr valve and ports ect too

Tony, when you done your EGR ports , did you replace any of the fuel injector seals?

My EGR is on the cards to do this year and unsure whether to buy them (seals or orings)

Cheers

Andy

I have done my EGR several times, once I replaced the o-rings, but later at other time I used the same ones. Never had any fuel leak!

Either you use new or old o-rings, make sure you lube them. Also, be careful when installing the injectors so you don't damage the o-rings or the injectors.There have been cases of guys breaking the injectors when installing them...

What did you lube them with Pedro?I

I got a qoute from Holdcroft for the four o-rings which was around £16 last year. So probably worth having in the parts bin.

exec said:

I got a qoute from Holdcroft for the four o-rings which was around £16 last year. So probably worth having in the parts bin.
Engine oil, as stated in the workshop manual.

AndyB1976 said:
Tony, when you done your EGR ports , did you replace any of the fuel injector seals?

My EGR is on the cards to do this year and unsure whether to buy them (seals or orings)

Cheers

Andy
Hi andy, no i inspected the seals and they where fine so reused them mate. always best to have some spare just in case buddy ;)

exec said:

I greased my existing seals to make sure there were airtight with clean engine oil ;)

Forgot to ask...if I were to have some seals on spare...what ones is it 3,4,29 or 30?

E__0301.jpg