block

Members
Reaction score
Car
56 Ex diesel saloon
1) Disconnect battery
2) Remove airbox.
3) Remove priming bulb cover.
4) Read diy guide AGAIN and decide this is out of your league and put car back together.
5) Ring a garage.
6) Take car to garage with cash etc etc.

After removing priming bulb cover I still couldnt see all the connectors. I dont know if your supposed to remove the bulb, but I decided I was probably going to end up spending more repairing my mistakes than the cost of taking it to my local dealer. So I bottled it. Its a little knock to my ego, ( I built/put together a MK Indy ( some would say ) successfully ), but theres no shame in admitting defeat, sometimes!

I even started taking photo's, waste of time that was!

Cheers all.

No shame there Paul i did the same and paid Honda £36 :)

It's really easy, remove the 2 fuel pipes on the top of the filter housing, unclip the 3 wire connectors, unscrew the 2 screws holding the housing to the bulkhead, and lift out. Refitting is the reverse of removal.

You should have persisted its so simple its hard to get it wrong. Better luck next time.

At least you had a go Paul,

No shame in being sensible and doing the right thing and stopping before you feel you are out of your depth

Anyone fancy doing a demo at HH?

I'm getting mine done at Holdcroft. I bottled it as well even before I got my spanners out. I think I could probably get it all apart but if something went wrong it would be stuck on the driveway unable to drive it to a proper mechanic

Cheers all, may have another go!
Doc, when I removed the bracket that holds the primer bulb, the bulb was still connected so I couldnt really move it therefore I couldnt see anything clearly. The bulb was still connected when you did it yes? I could only see 2 connectors as well. Might have another go when I get a minute.

Cheers.

Actually you did the right thing mate, no shame at all. If you're not confident.. best learn on someone elses car, not your own ;)

Cheers all, may have another go!
Doc, when I removed the bracket that holds the primer bulb, the bulb was still connected so I couldnt really move it therefore I couldnt see anything clearly. The bulb was still connected when you did it yes? I could only see 2 connectors as well. Might have another go when I get a minute.

Cheers.
Sorry I missed out the bit about the primer bulb. IIFR It has a metal cover over the top of it. The 2 screws which are just in front/ below the primer bulb need to be removed, the metal cover can then be lifted off (part 23). The primer bulb is then held in by a white plastic clip (part 25) which the bulb pushes down into. Lift the primer bulb out of the clip and this should free it a bit to give you access to the 2 bolts holding the bracket (part 16) to the bulkhead. Remove the bolts and the bracket. This will give you access to where the pipes connect to the top of the filter ***embly, you can then remove the fuel pipes freeing the primer bulb and move it to one side being careful not to pour all the fuel out of it. Unplug the 3 wire connectors. The 2 bolts holding the fuel filter ***embly to the bulkhead can then be removed and lift it out.

diagram

I thought there was a guide on here somewhere with pictures on how to remove the filter ***embly but I cant find it.

Don't feel too bad bud - a fair bit of my annual income is from those who have tried something beyond their abilities but ploughed on regardless. alwasy ends up costing more than if they just phoned me in the first place...

A demo at HH would be a good idea - the car stays on the ground so there is no worries with that regard.

I was half joking recently that I should devise a mod that brings the thinbg to the front of the bay to make it easier :lol:

Anyone fancy doing a demo at HH?

A really good DIY to de-mystify this one particular swap would be welcome, before I have a stab at changing mine next service ;)

1) Disconnect battery
2) Remove airbox.
3) Remove priming bulb cover.
4) Read diy guide AGAIN and decide this is out of your league and put car back together.
5) Ring a garage.
6) Take car to garage with cash etc etc.

After removing priming bulb cover I still couldnt see all the connectors. I dont know if your supposed to remove the bulb, but I decided I was probably going to end up spending more repairing my mistakes than the cost of taking it to my local dealer. So I bottled it. Its a little knock to my ego, ( I built/put together a MK Indy ( some would say ) successfully ), but theres no shame in admitting defeat, sometimes!

I even started taking photo's, waste of time that was!

Cheers all.

Had a go at changing the fuel filter today, was almost there but only one problem, could not free/disconnect the top Denso sensor cable, so the fuel filter ***embly was like in shackles, everything was free except for this sensor cable on the roof of the ***embly. Anybody who knows how to remove this? and can shed light into the matter would be much appreciated. Not too sure as well if I have to disconnect something from the underside of the fuel filter before pulling it out? In the end I gave up and re-***emble everything back. If it will only cost £36 labour charge to have it done at a Honda dealer, as a member has pointed out, I think it will be very worth it.

I don't think you do remove it - follow the flylead down and I think you find a plug inline.

I don't think you do remove it - follow the flylead down and I think you find a plug inline.

The plastic plug secured to the cradle that holds the filter would not come off at all, I was already thinking of prying it off. Just enquired on labour cost to change fuel filter around my area, Local Garage £10, Avonvale Honda £108, Marshall Honda £57, HH £41.50 + VAT. The £10 very tempting but they have not done it on a Diesel Accord before. Or I might have another go.

Its got a little catch on the socket IIRC it works an odd way but very doable.

I remember doing mine - the bottom bolt was the pain!! Once you know where it is though it's fine, a few scraped knuckles didn't deter me!

Posted Today, 04:09 PM

Today I got a new fuel filter and got stuck in changing it. removed the engine cover, then unplugged the MAF from the air box, undid jubilee clip airbox/intake, remove three bolts holding air box two at the front one at the back, now try to remove from engine bay, "tight" or what? disconnect pos battery terminal and loosen bolt holding relays on same side, jiggle the air box and eventually it gave in and came out. Manuals do not explain what a pig it is. Now to the primer bulb, remove top/front cover a doddle, then the back bracket one bolt is easy to see and remove, the other? behind the bulb and hiding, solution unclip fuel pipes from bulb and remove, now we can see the bolt, remove and take the back bracket away. Unclip the pipes on the filter and slide off, undo bolt on bracket, grab the filter and pull up, it comes easy until it fouls the bulkhead, then there is no choice but to tilt it and pull, it does come out!! Refit new filter, pipes and clips, tighten the bracket bolt, replace the bulb bracket (back) connect pipes to bulb and place into bracket, may help to leave one pipe off until in position. replace front bulb cover, jiggle the airbox back into place, the rear hose has a clip,the front one no clip but tight to slide on bolt up, connect MAF cable, squeeze bulb 40/50 times until hard start engine, rev it 3/4 times note a steady tick over, jobs a good un. Wash hands, bathe the scars, if you do not stop bleeding within ten minutes get down thwe nearest A&E.

:lol:

I'm a couple of thousand miles from attempting this replacement for the first time. Fingers crossed I'll do a detailed photo DIY of the procedure. Your candid description should help!

Can't say strongly enough....you need the articulated socket adapter :lol:

Posted Today, 04:09 PM

Today I got a new fuel filter and got stuck in changing it. removed the engine cover, then unplugged the MAF from the air box, undid jubilee clip airbox/intake, remove three bolts holding air box two at the front one at the back, now try to remove from engine bay, "tight" or what? disconnect pos battery terminal and loosen bolt holding relays on same side, jiggle the air box and eventually it gave in and came out. Manuals do not explain what a pig it is. Now to the primer bulb, remove top/front cover a doddle, then the back bracket one bolt is easy to see and remove, the other? behind the bulb and hiding, solution unclip fuel pipes from bulb and remove, now we can see the bolt, remove and take the back bracket away. Unclip the pipes on the filter and slide off, undo bolt on bracket, grab the filter and pull up, it comes easy until it fouls the bulkhead, then there is no choice but to tilt it and pull, it does come out!! Refit new filter, pipes and clips, tighten the bracket bolt, replace the bulb bracket (back) connect pipes to bulb and place into bracket, may help to leave one pipe off until in position. replace front bulb cover, jiggle the airbox back into place, the rear hose has a clip,the front one no clip but tight to slide on bolt up, connect MAF cable, squeeze bulb 40/50 times until hard start engine, rev it 3/4 times note a steady tick over, jobs a good un. Wash hands, bathe the scars, if you do not stop bleeding within ten minutes get down thwe nearest A&E.

Thanks EofT - i am going to attempt this over Christmas - hope it goes well!