What's new

fuel leak!

silverVTEC

Members
Reaction score
Car
CG9
Rite i was doing some work on my cg9 today, which involved cleaning the egr valve and plate (badly blocked up), I had no problems removing the fuel rail and injectors... And had no problems putting them back together. So I took her for a blast to see if the car was pulling more, and yes I could notice the difference, so I parked it back up. But then on returning to the car to go out somewhere I started it up, drove a few metres and was hit with the smell of petrol! So I poped the bonnet and seen fuel all over the inlet manifold, seems to be the injector spraying out fuel! And to top it all off I tryed tightening one of the bolts that hold the fuel rail and it snapped, any ideas to why this happened? Thanks.

With all due respect, seems you've been a bit ham fisted when putting the injectors back in and pinched or tore a seal. I would start off replacing the seals then go from there.

I'm going to have a look today, but where do I get the bolt that comes out of the block to the fuel rail as it's snapped :( also where do I buy injector seals from?

Did you torque back the bolts? You could of stripped them if you haven't by over tightening.

You can get all the parts from Holdcroft Honda. I might have some bolts today, but not guaranteed.

Which bolt are you referring to?

Seals can be bought from any good trade merchants or building supplier, even most garages will have a good "o-ring" set. Just take in your injectors and ask the garage to change the seals.

BlueVTEC said:
Which bolt are you referring to?

Seals can be bought from any good trade merchants or building supplier, even most garages will have a good "o-ring" set. Just take in your injectors and ask the garage to change the seals.
Its the fuel rail retaining bolt that goes into the inlet manifold that has snapped, also I didn't change the injector seals so its my own fault realy, the bolt snapped because the injectors were leaking and I thought it wasn't as tight as it should be, so it snapped when I tryed turning it some more.

silverVTEC said:
Its the fuel rail retaining bolt that goes into the inlet manifold that has snapped, also I didn't change the injector seals so its my own fault realy, the bolt snapped because the injectors were leaking and I thought it wasn't as tight as it should be, so it snapped when I tryed turning it some more.
Well that certainly wouldn't help so yeah, get that fixed too.

I've skim read this (sorry) but is there a banjo bolt connecting the fuel hose the the fuel rail? If there is and you undid it, did you replace the crush washers afterwards? They usually **** out petrol if you don't. Just a thought.

Josh2109 said:
I've skim read this (sorry) but is there a banjo bolt connecting the fuel hose the the fuel rail? If there is and you undid it, did you replace the crush washers afterwards? They usually **** out petrol if you don't. Just a thought.
I didn't have to touch the banjo bolt because I had enough room.

Makes sure you lubricate the seals before you re seat them, that way they should squeeze in nicely without tearing or flattening. Also make sure not to put them in at an angle.

I brought some injector seals of ebay and went to the local scrap yard and found a civic mb3 which had the same bolt I needed, turned out the original injector seals fell apart under the pressure.