What's new

Full service - Facelift iCTDI

Pottera

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord
Hi all,

I have a facelift accord tourer oil burner, has been running well (especially after remap, thanks Fahad). it just touched 86k and long overdue a darned good service. Deciding to have a crack at it myself, looked through the service guide on here (great work chaps). Being somewhat unplanned and also impatient, I stumbled into my local Honda dealer (Johnsons in Beaconsfield) with some shpeal about belonging to 'type accord' and that they have a deal with HH for a better discount... Bla bla, and asked if they'd do a deal?

RESULT!!! they gave trade and a bit more. Not sure if it's as good a deal as HH but, I bought all the service bits (less engine oil) for £109.62 for and new blade wipers and front pads for £60. Total for me was £170 which should have been £210. I was happy. Next due to my impatience I went to find some 0w30 oil, and the only place was Halfrauds ... Castrol Edge £46.99 for 4 litres, so that stung at nearly £94!!! The 3/8 square key for the gearbox plugs was £2.64 from Allparts.

Anyhow the purpose for this was to discuss changes I could see in the facelift service ( so far). By so far I mean I got 1/2 way there today and was hampered by lack of light. Intend on finishing tomorrow.

So this is how I got on. I can't vouch for how different this is to the pre facelift (as never had one), but these are a couple of bits that seemed different to the guide on here.
Under tray - 2 long bolts and 4(or 5) Honda two piece clips at front, 2 shorter bolts back and 1 clip in the NS wheelarch, and 2 in the OS wheel arch (the second is a bit hidden, managed through feel)
oil filter - same process as pre facelift
Oil drain -same process as pre facelift
Air filter -same process as pre facelift
Pollen filter - same process as pre facelift, 2 screws under glovebox and it falls away. Filter in tray behind. Really easy!

The 2 items left are fuel filter and gearbox oil. Will tackle tomorrow ( fingers crossed). What I did notice is the fuel filter looks COMPLETLEY different in the car installation AND it's a Denso unit. I'll add some photos when I figure out how to remove it. (Honda part H16901-RJL-E01). I'll put some photos on tomorrow when I figure how to get it apart. (not sure how to uplad photos from my hard drive, it asks for an HTTP link??? Anyone help?)

The other difference I think (but could be wrong) was in the windscreen wipers (front). It had blade type wipers when I bought it, I had changed to aftermarket metal ones, which were rubbish and missed a large section on the passenger side. Bought the original blade types from Honda which look good and work really well. (Honda parts H76620SEAJ11 and H76630SEAJ11 )

Anyhow will update with pics tomorrow (hoping it doesn't rain)

Even better, just found that someone has already done the full Denso fuel filter (Fuel Filter Change Facelift 7th Gen )

That should make tomorrow an easier day :)

Hey Anthony, good to see you're still around!

Yep the facelift cars have a denso filter, cartridge type. The pre facelift have a Bosch canister type.. Make sure you're using Honda MTF3 (2.2 litres) for the gearbox, and for £100 you could have had a 25l drum of 0w/30 from our affiliated oil trader Lubetech but hey ho, you'll know for next time ;)

Hey Anthony, good to see you're still around!

Yep the facelift cars have a denso filter, cartridge type. The pre facelift have a Bosch canister type.. Make sure you're using Honda MTF3 (2.2 litres) for the gearbox, and for £100 you could have had a 25l drum of 0w/30 from our affiliated oil trader Lubetech but hey ho, you'll know for next time ;)

Well that was reasonably painless. Finished both fuel filter and gearbox oil in reasonable time. Fiddly but not a huge problem. The worst part was getting the water in fuel sensor out of the old fuel filter. Finally put some long nosed mole grips on it and some patience!

Thanks got the info on the oil. Will definitely take up that one. Is there a contact at lubetech??

Thanks to everyone who helped in the service / fuel filter articles. I read them all and they all added something to making my service alot easier. To reiterate one comment 'who says modern cars can only be serviced by dealers!!'. Feel pretty proud of myself now. Trip comp is showing a couple of extra MPG, will run a couple if tanks through to find out if this is real or psychosomatic!

Cheers

Nice one!

Contact at Lubetech is Tony. Check the traders section for details.

As Fahad said lubetech would have been much cheaper or if you swear by using what Honda recommend the castrol oil then you should have bought this 25L gallon of the stuff from eBay which would have worked out just over £33 for 5litres http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20L-Castrol-EDGE-0w-30-Petrol-Diesel-Engines-/200374752383?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2ea744147f.

As Fahad said lubetech would have been much cheaper or if you swear by using what Honda recommend the castrol oil then you should have bought this 25L gallon of the stuff from eBay which would have worked out just over £33 for 5litres http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20L-Castrol-EDGE-0w-30-Petrol-Diesel-Engines-/200374752383?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2ea744147f.
Sorry Tanna, they are 20litre drums and with postage about £42 for 5litres