What's new

Full size spare wheel for tourer

gathor

TA Friends
Reaction score
Car
Tourer
Yello
So had my spare alloy for a few weeks now and decided to put some rubber on it and get it in. Wanted to buy an used tyre but decided to get the cheapest new 17" there is. First of all, full size spare wont fit ;)

You have to remove three things to get it in:
1. Boot trim found under the flap thingy
2. Locking mechanism (most of, you may screw back the outer part - see pic)
3. Tools included in case of a puncture, tyre filler, air pump
Pics of things I removed:

1.jpg

Handle - screwed back on

4.jpg

3.jpg

And full size spare wheel nicely set it:

2.jpg

So before you buy a full size for your tourer make sure you are ready to get rid of few things from your boot:)
Hope this will help few folks:)
dan

A full size 16" does fit in a tourer without having to remove the locking mechanism. It does push the locking cover (or flap thingy) up slightly so to release you do need to push down on edges to release latches. This means no need to use, or find if you're lucky, a spare wheel securing cone and butterfly bolt on the spare wheel.

Remember to keep the tent peg handle for scissor jack from moulded tray in the car otherwise changing a flat may be a bit tricky.

I managed to fit my spare 17" Penta without taking the locking mechanism off. It still closes and locks fine. The only thing I took out was the inner compartment

Nice write up Dan very helpful cheers.I'm not sure if its the same for the saloon face lift though.

Great Dan alot of people dont like not having a proper spare so will help a few members out.

You don't need to remove anything from the handle/locking mechanism.

You only need to remove the liner tray, and the polystyrene thing with the tools in. The tools you need (eg brace, hook thingy, spanner, etc) fit nicely under the sub in the side compartment.

CJ- I've got the tyre inflator thingy if you want it. Along with that carbon trim. I think you might have something I want also, so give me a shout.

Thanks guys.
I really tried to fit the wheel without removing mechanism part but I just couldnt. It wouldnt close properly. Strange some of you guys managed to do it :rolleyes:
CJ - Im keeping it mate, got to fix the cig plug first. It is much better than foot pump:)
Dont know about the facelift brett, facelift owners?

It definitely doesn't quite fit for me - there's a bit of moulding in the way on the lid that runs from side to side.