What's new

Gauging interest - Soundproofing

coderbyday

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.0 iVTEC SE
My accord is one of the quietest cars I've ever owned. But it's still got the problem whereby Japanese cars are tested on nice, smooth roads and neglect our terrible English ones so I'm going to have a go at making it quieter. I've done significant soundproofing before on my wife's Yaris, and a Sprinter van. I was wondering if anyone would be interested to see my process as I don't just slap dynamat everywhere; I do try and get the best results for minimal effort and investment.

I should hopefully be putting it up in the modification section this weekend but if there's anything specific you'd like to know then feel free to ask :)

This would be interesting Gareth, I shall look forward to this

Did this as well on my civic EP, wonderfull results :)
Won't do thus to my accord as i don't want to strip the entire car :)

Do you know,how many sheets and what size need for car doors?

Tomas44 said:
Do you know,how many sheets and what size need for car doors?
You don't need much at all, you need something fairly thick rather than large; I use silent coat extra myself and you only need to cover up to 25% of the panel. So on the Yaris I only used 1 sheet per door. The accord may be a sheet and a half per door but I use it only to improve speaker response. Dynamat etc. only control panel resonance and are rubbish at sound blocking.

The doors on the Accord are really easy to get into as well and I'd estimate it can be done in under 15 minutes per door with practice.

On this I won't be using any mat-like materials at all. I'm controlling tyre roar from the wheel arches and wind noise through the glass runs as shown in the handy diagram:

BK5OWv3.png

Look forward to seeing this , ive been tempted to do my drivers and front oassenger door as they have an awful bong sound when closed hard

Very interested to see what comes of this.

1,5 sheet per door seems to be way too less. I used almost 4per door like recommended.
* strip your door to bare metal
* put the silent coat sheets to the outer shell of the door (hard to reach)
* put the sound isolator foam over the silent coat sheets (double layer)

This was my civic sport, i sound deadened the entire car. Did the doors in the end.

http://youtu.be/rWZ8Yo01Mp0

Silent coat is good for the knocks and will stop panels resonating with road noise, but its only the first step. I don't think I'll be doing much with the sheet metal as its not an issue with the Accord; the doors have strengthening beams in addition to the side impact protection which cuts down on a lot of the resonance. I may still do the doors as a guide for others here, but the problem area seems to be the rear wheelhouse insulators which are not thick or heavy enough to deal with the structure-borne noise - the low frequency grumble.

Wheel arches are being treated with absorbent materials as they need to be light and compressible to fit inside, they stop the higher frequency roar on rougher surfaces.

As for using 4 sheets, more is always better but 25% coverage gets you 90% of the way there, each additional bit will get you a much smaller return. I'm all about doing this cheaply so that anyone with a jack and a screwdriver could do this task for under £30 :)

For the upcoming guides the materials being used are here;

Front wheel arches
http://www.carinsulation.co.uk/product/10mm_engine_bay_insulation
A lightweight, compressible man-made fibre material. Mostly for reducing splash noise, stone chip impact noise and absorbing front tyre roar. But most of it is coming from the back.

Rear wheel arches
The same as the front plus;
http://www.carinsulation.co.uk/product/au3002-2_car_insulation_material
More expensive but very effective, this will be the primary absorber of tyre roar from the rear wheel arches.

Rear wheelhouse insulator
This monster; http://www.carinsulation.co.uk/product/heavy_layer_felt_laminate_insulation
The picture is no good, its a very heavy rubber membrane backed with some felt to help to decouple it from the body resonances, this will go over the existing materials to boost its performance. You can get 5kg/m2 stuff but as this is adding to what the car has you shouldn't need that much weight (or expense)

Ok I've completed the front arches and rear wheelhouses. Big improvement! I'll post up the guides in the modification forum once I'm home. I'll make some more guides around windows and doors when I get the chance.

Awesome! Looking forward to it.

I am VERY interested in this. I've had my 2003 2.0 Executive for 8 years and I've never got used to the road noise coming from the rear! I've got the 15" wheels and I've recently fitted Dunlop Blue response tyres as they have the best combination of lowest road noise with wet braking etc. The Accord is absolutely superb on freshly laid tarmac with nil wind noise and very little mechanical noise, so if the road noise can be cut substantially I'll be a happy bunny!

thinboy said:
I am VERY interested in this. I've had my 2003 2.0 Executive for 8 years and I've never got used to the road noise coming from the rear! I've got the 15" wheels and I've recently fitted Dunlop Blue response tyres as they have the best combination of lowest road noise with wet braking etc. The Accord is absolutely superb on freshly laid tarmac with nil wind noise and very little mechanical noise, so if the road noise can be cut substantially I'll be a happy bunny!
You should try a civic :p

I've been in a civic type R, and the noise is horrendous compared to the accord. Granted it was lowered too, but it was still bad. I've found some new ways to reduce noise cheaply too, including a very effective treatment for the parcel shelf because its really just some thin cardboard. I'll add it to the guides shortly.