What's new

Gear change issues

Ashz

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.4 accord
Hi lads, I have scoured the forum and read many topics on gear box and clutch problems only to further confuse myself. The problem is at idle sometimes the car won't go into first so I pump the clutch twice to get it in, also at high rpm 4k and upward I have to forcefully change gears as the car is refusing to change up and occasionally on downshift as well. It's a 2.4 manual the gear box oil was changed 11k ago and the clutch fluid was done last week as I read this could help, things improved a bit but do I need a new clutch or is it master clutch cylinder problem. When I bought the car at 122k the bloke said it had a new clutch, the bite is low but the pedal creaks when pressed. It has 133k on the clock at the mo. Any help is much appreciated as I love the car and want it back in tip top condition ASAP.

TBH it could be either the clutch or the master/slave cylinder. However, the fact you have to pump it twice suggest that it's the hydraulics. So I'd start there as changing the master/slave cylinder is way cheaper that stripping for a new clutch.

How is the level of clutch fluid? Could you get someone to see the movement of the master relative to the slave? (i.e. is the slave moving the arm fully first time?)

The clutch fluid is good at the upper marker, I have seen the movement and to an untrained eye looks good, the mechanic Said the pressure plate isn't fully disengaging which is causing the problem as it could be worn he wants me to replace the clutch. I told him I would see how it goes he has a dc2 itr so he should know his Hondas.

Hi mate

I was having pretty much the same probs on a 113K 2.4. Wouldn't engage 1st to 4th or reverse. Had to push the clutch right to the floor and forget about vtec and changing up gear because it wouldn't go into the next one up. Had a new clutch fitted two weeks ago, let it bed in and gave it some death yesterday and OMG what a difference I now have every gear again......

Paul

Did the guy say what mileage the clutch was last changed.
Also was there any paper work showing the new clutch

He said it was at 117k but no paperwork (yeah I f'ed up there). With the low bite I took his word for it. There is a lesson to be learnt there somewhere.
I found this
http://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/genuine-honda-accord-24-litre-petrol-clutch-kit0308-p-1244.html

That's a pretty good price for a genuine clutch kit. But TBH the major cost will be in the labour.

No paperwork I would say no new clutch then.
That is a cracking price for the clutch kit but as said the cost is in the labour.
But I don't think there as hard to change as the diesel 7th gen.Also you don't have any problems with a DMF to worrie about

The dc2 mechanic said he would do it for £100. Right will keep you guys posted with outcome

Keep us updated bro.
This is a really funny one because any of the elements could be faulty. Sometimes its just trial and error really.

The seals inside your master cylinder have perished mate. If it was your pressure plate or release bearing it would either go into gear or not. Pumping it wouldn't make a difference.

The creaking is a giveaway too.

By the way it's quite common for K series petrol clutches to feel like this before they go, both my wife's K20 and brothers K24 felt similar before their clutches failed.. But pumping it shouldn't make a difference.

Right sorry about the delay, this is what's happened got the clutch done the clutch bearing has a piece broken off, it had a new clutch but the bearing wasn't replace at the time. So new Honda clutch fitted I also replaced the master clutch cylinder for good measure but the battery was flat! Apparently the alternator wasn't charging the battery he wanted to replace the alternator but the wiring was faulty so got that sorted. Now the engine management light is on! Got that diagnosed as knock sensor not responding no voltage from it. That is wher I am at the moment. I have to say the clutch is light as a feather now just wish the engine light wasn't on.