What's new

gear problems

wilsh123

Reaction score
Car
accord
hi all can anyone help I have a 2002 gen 6 1.8 vetch sport that I have started having problems with changing gears through all gears not just 1 or 2 I have trouble getting it in and out off gear I had a new clutch last year so don't think its that I have also spoken to a mechanic that recons boxes and he says its not the box either any other suggestions would be helpfull

Woh! Those are some big letters :lol: .

If your mechanic thinks the box is ok and the clutch is ok, have tried draining and replacing the gear box oil and the hydraulic oil. Only other thing I could think of would be something to do with the linkages or the gear level mechanism being stuck/sticky. I'm sure someone with a little more knowhow might have some more helpful advice shortly.

Thank you the guy that reconsider gear boxes mentioned about dropping the oil and replacing with auto gear oil has anyone else heard off this been done

That is a very stupid idea, only use Honda MTF on these, nothing else, they are 100% Honda made gearboxes, not like other brands who dont design or make their own geraboxes, so you cant put any universal oil into these. Change the MTF and also inspect that your master cylinder and slave cylinder are working properly.

Thank you bloody thing getting worse clutch peddle hard to the floor but yet car still drives forward and reverse with peddle to the floor

Sounds like the issue is the clutch. My car is 7th gen which is hydraulic clutch, I don't know if the 6th gen is hydraulic or not. If it is hydraulic then that could be the problem. Otherwise the clutch itself could be on its way out again.

It is hydraulic, they probably didnt fit the new clutch properly.

FYI, folks, I wouldn't recommend sticking MTF-3 in an old or worn gearbox let alone one with a possible problem, which I hope was resolved with the relevant suggestions.

Valvoline 75W80 gear oil has resolved loads of issues for me on countless accords where Honda fluids have failed. ;)

exec said:
It is hydraulic, they probably didnt fit the new clutch properly.
Or they didn't tighten something properly, and now it's slipping. Go back and insist they check things properly, then get a second opinion on any diagnosis that ends up costing you more.

When you have a problem following shop work, some shops will give you dud advice to get rid of you rather than check if they perhaps messed up something.