What's new

Gearbox Half shaft play?

I don't think its the DMF, your new one couldn't be done yet. Is the car idling smoothy or is it lumpy/car vibrate badly at idle?

All I can say is that when I had the complete driverside done the car was a lot better, but still had the vibration very slight but hardly noticable. The difference the second hand shaft made leads me to thinking its between the gearbox and wheel. Hopefully my dealer will be ringing me tomorrow if he can get a donor car in and I'll see what he then comes up with. The vibration feeling is the exact same as the normal 50-60 shudder, only at slower speeds. I developed both around the same time. My dealer did contact honda technical who said the only other thing it could be was a faulty injector, but I doubt this.

Hi again
The car ticks over very smooth, revs up when you are stationary also very smooth. Once you get above 25mph it drives smoothly as well. It seems to gently shake the engine sideways when the vibration does come in. Can't imagine what the problem is. My mechanic is going to have a word with a top guy at the Honda garage tomorrow to see if he has any insight as to the cause.

Hi again
The car ticks over very smooth, revs up when you are stationary also very smooth. Once you get above 25mph it drives smoothly as well. It seems to gently shake the engine sideways when the vibration does come in. Can't imagine what the problem is. My mechanic is going to have a word with a top guy at the Honda garage tomorrow to see if he has any insight as to the cause.

Nobody as yet has figured out the reason for this vibration. The next step is to get it onto a rolling road to replicate it and see if we can see or feel where it is coming from. It is getting booked in some time in October, so if I find out anything then, I will post an update.

Cheers Stephen, I would get mine in earlier, but I am away on holiday in September. If one of use can sus out the problem, it would be a relief for both of us. Trouble with me is, I like my cars to be perfect. It is not a massive fault, but it is driving me crazy. I must be the best person to buy a car off though, as the motors I have sold on are always good.

There is an update to my vibration problem, it has got worse! Now it is also happening when you accelerate hard in 3rd, 4th and 5th at higher speed. This new vibration is a bit different, it buzzes through the whole car like a "growl". Since it initially started at the low speed, I have done just over 1k miles. So it did take a little time to get any worse. The car is now going back into my local garage on Tuesday and they can keep it for two weeks while I am away on holiday. Hope to get back, problem sorted, not too much money I hope. Maybe then I can put on this forum the reason for this fault, as other members have the same unresolved problem. My hope is it's just an engine mount that has just split a bit more. My dread, gearbox bearing or shaft. As you all may have read from my previous posts, I have replaced a few parts already that showed signs of wear, although this expense did not cure it.

There is an update to my vibration problem, it has got worse! Now it is also happening when you accelerate hard in 3rd, 4th and 5th at higher speed. This new vibration is a bit different, it buzzes through the whole car like a "growl". Since it initially started at the low speed, I have done just over 1k miles. So it did take a little time to get any worse. The car is now going back into my local garage on Tuesday and they can keep it for two weeks while I am away on holiday. Hope to get back, problem sorted, not too much money I hope. Maybe then I can put on this forum the reason for this fault, as other members have the same unresolved problem. My hope is it's just an engine mount that has just split a bit more. My dread, gearbox bearing or shaft. As you all may have read from my previous posts, I have replaced a few parts already that showed signs of wear, although this expense did not cure it.

john

having exactlly the same issues as you so will be interested in your outcome, will be taking mine into local garage who replaced the drivers side driveshaft 3 weeks ago to see what their thoughts are and failing that i am due 62k service in circa 4 weeks so its back to hh for any further bright ideas.

Hi all Accord owners with the vibration like mine. I have now solved the problem. The main thing is, NEVER EVER buy aftermarket rebuilt driveshafts. The ones I bought, just in case I can't state the make. Two letters, first one is the colour of a clear sky, second one, they p- - - t ink on newspapers. The story, the O/S aftermarket shaft failed after 9mths with a low speed vibration. Replaced with another one of the same make, same vibration straight away. Thought it might then be the N/S shaft being the problem. Replaced with the same make, now a high speed buzzing vibration as well. Could not refit the N/S one which must have been okay, as it had to be exchanged for the aftermarket shaft. Just had fitted two genuine shafts bought from the local car breakers, all vibration gone. Starting to love the car again. If shafts ever go again I will bite the bullet and pay Honda prices. Around here at £839 per pair. Hope this helps you guys that can't solve the same issue I have had.

John, I'm glad you got it sorted - just sorry it ended up costing so much.. Clearly Honda engineer their components to very tight tolerances and the high quality drive of the 7th gen means you can feel any slight imperfection hence the Blueprint parts not working perfectly for you..

Yep, let this be an important lesson to all - stick to genuine parts on the 7th gen :)

I am now going to take all drivshafts back to the place I bought them. Should at least get the money back for the shafts along with some garage labour charges under the warrenty claim. I am now so happy the car is alright, I have given her a good wash and polish and I have just installed the upgraded Pipercross filter. Can't blame the motor for the vibration problem anymore, got to blame myself for trying to save some money with non genuine parts.

Glad you sorted John. I do agree totally with you, I wish I had just spent the money on genuine new shafts and be done with it.

the moneypit is booked in at HH next wed for interemediate service + drivers side fullshaft and passenger side halfshaft. expecte dbill just short of a £1k.......gulp again.

i'll be just glad to have a car that feels like it should always have felt. and then like john i can get her polished and start enjoying her....

fingers crossed it will sort the issue.

IME genuine shafts are the way to go, but you dont need to get the whole shaft as the issue in the inner cv joints. You can just buy the new joints and replaced those instead, if I was to do it all again. I would just by NS inner joint and see if that cures the vibration problems.

IME genuine shafts are the way to go, but you dont need to get the whole shaft as the issue in the inner cv joints. You can just buy the new joints and replaced those instead, if I was to do it all again. I would just by NS inner joint and see if that cures the vibration problems.

But the vibration wasn't due to a "bent" or "bad calibrated" shaft? If so, I guess the cv joints wouldn't solve the problem.

I feel for you Richard, but at least it should sort the problem. My car had the vibes for at least 1600mls before it was cured, drove me bloomin crazy near the end. I know if any of my second hand shafts go, it will be new ones for me as well. What a high price for genuine Honda shafts though!! I have heard from Honda, as well as my local garage, that they generally don't need to change the O/S initial solid shaft that comes out of the gearbox. I think it is called the Intermidiate shaft. Are you saying you are changing that as well? I just changed the "bendy" parts and that has worked. I was quoted about £240 for the intermidiate shaft on it's own. Decided to go with the expert advice and keep the original one on. Changed the bearing on the Intermediate shaft just in case. One bearing from Honda, £40, taking the whatsit on price don't you think. Must cost about a £1 to actually make. There was nothing wrong with the old one though when it was closely examined. I know you will enjoy the car again when it starts to run as smooth as it was designed to do. I have today, just washed the drivers side mat, must be getting my love back for the motor again eh. Happy motoring. John

I know this is dragging up an old post but I have what sounds like the same problem.

At low speed between 20-40 mph I get a sort of roar which seems to be coming from the front drivers side wheel or drive train area,
I first thought it was a wheel bearing in its way out but the noise does not change when steering left or right. It sounds worse on smooth Tarmac too.

I've checked both front wheel bearings plus all the bushes inc engine mounts and all are ok, I have found some movement on the inner drivers side cv but its not in the joint itself but where the joint meets the half shaft ( movement of the splines ). Would this cause the low speed roar plus the vibration I get between 60-70 mph only when accelerating ?

Any help would be appreciated as it starting to drive me nuts ( to the point I would rather take the wife's ford puma instead of my accord if I have to go anywhere ).

from my experience worn shafts wont cause the noise your describing, I could be wrong. what tyres are you runnnig front/rear and have you tried swapping front to back see if that makes a difference. My rear bearing was bad enough to tell easily by the noise but no play at all.

I would first try a proper wheel alignment and wheel balance plus swapping tyres front/rear, but worn shafts do on accelaration vibrate @ roughly those speeds just rule out simpler things before throwing money at it.

Thanks for the reply . I've swapped the wheels front to rear plus checked they are all straight and there's no sign of damage but it made no difference to the noise at all. The vibration between 60-70 mph is something I can live with for a bit intill I can find a new shaft . It's the roar that's getting to me lol. It's not that it's that loud ( it's just the fact it's there and indicates that somethings not right ). If I new what it was I wouldn't be so worried about it .

Just add to this I have checked the ware of the tyres but it's not uneven at all. The front tyres are Yokohama's and the rears I've never even heard of , but changing front to back with no change in noise has ruled out a tyre problem.

I've done a fair amount of reading on road noise and vibration ( mainly on Honda accords ) as it seems to be fairly common , but more often than not there doesn't seem to be a 100% answer .

I will get the alinement checked as so as possible but from the way the tyres are looking I would say its ok .

When you hear the noise, press the clutch pedal and see if its still there when coasting.

I've tried pushing the clutch pedal down and knocking her out of gear but it makes no difference at all I'm afraid. I've owned many front wheel drive cars and had bearings plus drive shafts play up but there normally fairly easy to trace ( Not this time ) lol.

Another bit of info I feel I should add. I've checked all the brake discs and even taken the calipers off to make sure everything moves as it should ( which it does ) so it's not brake pads dragging.

Are you sure the noise is from front drivers side wheel or drive train area? Just asking because its quite dificult to track sounds inside a car, at least for me...

I would bet in a defective or wornt tire or a bearing that is starting to dye.

Have you tried to turn off the engine, put it in neutral and see if the noise persist?

I've jacked the car up and put it on axle stands with the road wheels off then put her in 5th gear at idle and listerned to both sides using a long bar against my ear. There is some sort of visitation or speed related sound coming from the drivers side that I can't hear when listening to the passenger side. The problem is it doesn't sound like any wheel bearing noise that I've ever heard before . Ive ruled out a gearbox problem as I'm sure it would transmit sound plus vibration to both side equality .

The roar at low speeds can be felt very faintly through the drives side foot well plus a very small amount through the steering wheel . If im in the passenger seat with my wife driving I can hardly notice the roar at all ( very odd ).