What's new

Gearbox swap.

Plumber

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 I- cdti
Hi all.

I am thinking about swapping my 5 speed box for a 6 speed with 23000 miles on the ne one.

Im just wondering how hard it would be too swap them over without the use of a ramp or how much should I be expecting too pay for a garage too do it as I am limited too weekends free.

Cheers
Rich

im not 100% sure but i think your going to need the 06 2 litre 6 speed ecu aswell

but its not that hard but if your swapping motors why not go for a ctr box? they go for about £400 on fleebay

He has the diesel mate i beleive and i am also looking into this is one pops up on the internet as i do a fair few miles in mine and think that extra gear would be bang on.

He has the diesel mate i beleive and i am also looking into this is one pops up on the internet as i do a fair few miles in mine and think that extra gear would be bang on.

Yes I do have the diesel mate, the 2.2 icdti. And have been told by a company they should fit and they have one tht they can give me reconditioned for £450

I can't remember who it was but I distinctly remember talking to someone who tried this and it wouldn't fit or I think it needed the driveshafts from the facelift car too or something. I would expect you would also need the gear selector parts/linkages etc and I do know that the facelift cars have revised torque limiter settings in the maps... probably a doable mod but is it really worth it?

I remember driving Faddy's car are being surprised at how little the difference was between his 5th and my 6th.

It is great to have, but there are far better things to spend that kind of money on a car that age...

I imagine its worth doing the clutch while its out, so it'll cost the price of a new clutch fitted as the gearbox come out.

I'm almost certain a new 6sp will go straight in without changes to driveshaft linkages just a straight swap etc.. but dont hold me to it, and I would say its only worth considering , if you got one lying about and are pulling the box apart anyway and the benefit is mainly on motorways. I dont think the rest of the gearing is 'much' shorter.

Oh you'll definately need a ramp, not for the feint hearted.